TSSAA Makes Money While Schools Lose It

etcoach

It is very sad that the TSSAA makes teams with 1-9 and 2-8 records travel 3 hours to play against teams that are 10-0, 9-1, etc.... just so the TSSAA can make money.  The teams lose money as they only get 25% of a non-existent gate while they spend over $3,000 to get there.  If a team is 1-9 or 2-8 they have no business playing in the post season.  SILLY.  Although Unaka probably should not forfeit the game, I can empathize with them.  

It's really insane.  I also empathize with them.  Unaka was losing by 45 pts. a game.  Yes they should finish what they start but at same time they didn't create such an asinine system in which actually punishes them and their program.  Yes their program would actually lose money bc they would only get 25% of the gate.  T$$aa.  A state association that makes decisions for $ reasons and not kid reasons will continue to make BAD decisions for our state.  It's not going to get any better with the new classification system either.  The board of control obviously isn't looking out for the masses but only for their schools.  Nobody in their right mind truly believes that TN is big enough for 6 public and 3 private classifications....do they? Heck Texas has 6 classifications and twice the size of TN.  I'd bet they don't have 3 privates but even if they do it makes more sense.  It's really mind boggling that we can't get a better system. TN should have 4 maybe 5 classifications and 2 private.  

Here's another thing that doesn't make any sense at all.  Teams have to travel further for playoff games than for regular season road games.  Why in the world do playoff games start earlier at 7 instead of 7:30 when teams have to travel further?  

I think I heard some time ago the earlier kickoff was because of the time change in the fall.

Here's another thing that doesn't make any sense at all.  Teams have to travel further for playoff games than for regular season road games.  Why in the world do playoff games start earlier at 7 instead of 7:30 when teams have to travel further?  

Probably a dumb question but at least in this 6A format why couldn't you have had them play against their own region in the early rounds? That way the bad teams don't have to travel further and that seemingly would increase the gate because of more fans for the away team.

So instead of having for example Mt. Juliet vs Barlett and Whitehaven vs Lebanon you would have Mt. Juliet vs Lebanon and Whitehaven vs Bartlett. And it would get down to the top teams in the end anyways.

I get those are rematches but it would seem to make more sense in this format in my opinion.

Probably a dumb question but at least in this 6A format why couldn't you have had them play against their own region in the early rounds? That way the bad teams don't have to travel further and that seemingly would increase the gate because of more fans for the away team.

So instead of having for example Mt. Juliet vs Barlett and Whitehaven vs Lebanon you would have Mt. Juliet vs Lebanon and Whitehaven vs Bartlett. And it would get down to the top teams in the end anyways.

I get those are rematches but it would seem to make more sense in this format in my opinion.

Right...WBHS could just go play Maryville and Coffee County could play Oakland.  

"super 32" is over after this year, that will help some things.

You are right that it will help, but the problem is far bigger than the "super 32".  The problems will never be solved because TSSAA is incapable of making decisions that are best for the kids and high school football in this state, all of their decisions are based on money.  There are too many classifications in this state for the amount of schools, it really is pretty simple.  I wish there was a way to clean house at TSSAA and start over.

I think 3 private classes is ok with so many schools moving to DII. They could have 2 classes if they made it aid & non-aid to include all private schools. As for 6 public classes...that is maybe one too many...but still not too bad. Alabama has 10 classes.

Edited by Antwan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought back in the 90's, you didn't play side by side regions, meaning regions 1 vs. 3, 2 vs. 4, 5 vs. 7, 6 vs 8.  Thought they changed it so there wouldn't be as much travel with side by side competition, 1 - 2, 3 - 4, 5 - 6, 7 - 8.

If you cut back to 4 class's won't there be more travel and the size range would be much greater then now?

Better go look at how Georgia, Alabama, Miss. do their playoffs.  Think I heard where 4 teams from each region in Georgia go to playoffs, just like Tn.  But they send them in 4 different directions for playoffs and there association pays for there travel expenses.  Don't know if that's true or not, maybe a rumor.

Edited by devilsden