Mr Football Semifinalists

BoardHater71

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow I was impressed to recently find out that the kid from greenback has 1600 yards rushing in only 114 carries. Holy smokes what an average. I also found out that he was last year's state scoring leader and is tied for the same record this year and he has only played 9 games due to Unaka forfeiting this week's playoff game.WOW

Congrats Preston Rice! Thought he should've won it last year! He should win it this year!

They'll probably give it to him this year. It seems they really try to avoid giving it to kids for consecutive seasons. I understand you're a big time WC guy, but the stats weren't even close last year. Rice had way more attempts (especially in rushing) in all categories and got beat by 400 plus yards in passing, 6 passing TDs, completion percentage by 13%, 100 plus yards in rushing, a few rushing TDs, etc. That's also taking into consideration Dresden has a way harder strength of schedule. This year Winn only played 8 regular season games (missed the two worst teams on his schedule) and played just a tad in the second half the entire season, but still beat Rice by 17% in completion percentage, production per attempt in passing and rushing, rushing yards and had way fewer attempts in all categories again. Winn is averaging around 15 yards per carry on about 34 or so carries. It was 23 yards per carry, until he was sacked numerous times against Trenton, UC and Humboldt. Rice has 83 carries and is averaging 5 yard per carry. I don't know what the selection committee's rule is on this is, but it just seems to me they don't like not giving kids a chance to win over past winners. West TN has only had one back-to-back winner in history. It's not fair to compare them athletically. Winn has multiple division 1 football offers, SEC baseball offers and is easily one of the best basketball players in West TN and getting looks in basketball. Basketball is my favorite sport to watch him in. He does the craziest dunks. I'd like to know all the schools that are doing football and baseball deals with him. They're saying on Volquest UT is wanting him to play both, but Memphis is too and is a strong possibility for him. I know he visited both UT and Memphis back in the spring, and they let him try on the jersey and all that. Since you can only receive financial aid for one sport, we only know what schools have offered him for football only (your standard full ride, one sport scholarships). I know the kid from Greenback has a shot to steal a finalist spot and throwing at 60% in 1A football doesn't help Rice. I think at the very least Winn will be one of the finalists, but I doubt they let him get the award two years in a row. I think he would've won it as a Sophomore had he stayed in Dresden. You could've made a case for him his freshman year, despite the fact he also only played 8 regular season games that year. He was just shy of 1,600 yards and was throwing at 65%. That's also against Westview (who lost at the last second against Lewis County in the 3A quarterfinals; Lewis County was the state runner up in 3A to Alcoa), UC (1A state champs), Peabody (2A playoff team), Mckenzie and Huntingdon (1A playoff team). He also did great in Dresden's lone playoff game in the second round to Humboldt and had 300 plus passing yards against Westview, UC and Huntingdon. I can't find some of his rushing stats from that year, but I know he had over 100 yards against Westview on 8 carries.

They'll probably give it to him this year. It seems they really try to avoid giving it to kids for consecutive seasons. I understand you're a big time WC guy, but the stats weren't even close last year. Rice had way more attempts (especially in rushing) in all categories and got beat by 400 plus yards in passing, 6 passing TDs, completion percentage by 13%, 100 plus yards in rushing, a few rushing TDs, etc. That's also taking into consideration Dresden has a way harder strength of schedule. This year Winn only played 8 regular season games (missed the two worst teams on his schedule) and played just a tad in the second half the entire season, but still beat Rice by 17% in completion percentage, production per attempt in passing and rushing, rushing yards and had way fewer attempts in all categories again. Winn is averaging around 15 yards per carry on about 34 or so carries. It was 23 yards per carry, until he was sacked numerous times against Trenton, UC and Humboldt. Rice has 83 carries and is averaging 5 yard per carry. I don't know what the selection committee's rule is on this is, but it just seems to me they don't like not giving kids a chance to win over past winners. West TN has only had one back-to-back winner in history. It's not fair to compare them athletically. Winn has multiple division 1 football offers, SEC baseball offers and is easily one of the best basketball players in West TN and getting looks in basketball. Basketball is my favorite sport to watch him in. He does the craziest dunks. I'd like to know all the schools that are doing football and baseball deals with him. They're saying on Volquest UT is wanting him to play both, but Memphis is too and is a strong possibility for him. I know he visited both UT and Memphis back in the spring, and they let him try on the jersey and all that. Since you can only receive financial aid for one sport, we only know what schools have offered him for football only (your standard full ride, one sport scholarships). I know the kid from Greenback has a shot to steal a finalist spot and throwing at 60% in 1A football doesn't help Rice. I think at the very least Winn will be one of the finalists, but I doubt they let him get the award two years in a row. I think he would've won it as a Sophomore had he stayed in Dresden. You could've made a case for him his freshman year, despite the fact he also only played 8 regular season games that year. He was just shy of 1,600 yards and was throwing at 65%. That's also against Westview (who lost at the last second against Lewis County in the 3A quarterfinals; Lewis County was the state runner up in 3A to Alcoa), UC (1A state champs), Peabody (2A playoff team), Mckenzie and Huntingdon (1A playoff team). He also did great in Dresden's lone playoff game in the second round to Humboldt and had 300 plus passing yards against Westview, UC and Huntingdon. I can't find some of his rushing stats from that year, but I know he had over 100 yards against Westview on 8 carries.

Yeah, but the Winn kid is just so much bigger and athletic. He's a good half a second faster on his 40 at least and has so much more arm strength with that wingspan. Is the Rice kid really 6"2? There's no way. I watched the ceremony live stream last year, and Winn dwarfed him. I also think Winn is taller than 6"3. A guy I work with from Dresden said he's 6"3 and three quarters with his shoes off at these college visits, but he still looks every bit of 6"4-6"5 to me. Rice supposively weighs 5 more lbs than him, but looks 35 lbs heavier. That doesn't make sense. Most high school high school recruits aren't honest about their height, weight, 40 time, etc.

Guest hevyrevy1611

This is a strong case to award it to Winn if based on performance, impact, and stats (or whatever the criteria is). But, if 'policy' or 'political correctness' or 'spread it around' or 'connections' is the main factor in deciding then he probably won't win. Maybe to make it fair, once the initial names of candidates are decided upon for the award at the beginning of process, then the rest of the voting done in successive stages would be done 'blindly', not knowing their names (assign a number), nor their past (if they won previously), nor school or even their class (fresh, soph, jr, sr), they'd just look at the facts & figures of each player using whatever criteria they use for selecting the final winner. They'd be picking the assigned number, then find out the name afterwards. If a player is that good then why not let them win 4x in a row?

This is a strong case to award it to Winn if based on performance, impact, and stats (or whatever the criteria is). But, if 'policy' or 'political correctness' or 'spread it around' or 'connections' is the main factor in deciding then he probably won't win. Maybe to make it fair, once the initial names of candidates are decided upon for the award at the beginning of process, then the rest of the voting done in successive stages would be done 'blindly', not knowing their names (assign a number), nor their past (if they won previously), nor school or even their class (fresh, soph, jr, sr), they'd just look at the facts & figures of each player using whatever criteria they use for selecting the final winner. They'd be picking the assigned number, then find out the name afterwards. If a player is that good then why not let them win 4x in a row?

They've already voted on the winner. We just know who the top 4 in votes were (the semifinalists).

They don,t mind a bit to give it to the same kid. As a matter a fact,if a kid win,s it one year,they are usually the front runner the next.  Hard to go against Winn. 

My vote is who the best player in 1a is and that's Preston Rice. Does more for his team than Winn did this year and last. This is suppose to go to the "best player" that didn't happen last year. And I don't know what film you are watching with saying Winn has better arm strength. That's not even a comparison. Speed? No doubt for Winn. But where Rice separates for me is intangibles. If both squads are lucky enough to make it to the 4th round, then come back to me after the game to see what your opinion is. I've seen both live this year and last year and there is no doubt in my mind who the best player in 1a is. Preston Rice

And get out of here with this strength of schedule BS too. Go back and see how much Rice has played and how much Winn has played into the 3rd and 4th quarters. I'm pretty sure Rice leaves in the 2nd when up by 50. Dresden leaves their "Mr. football" in by 50. It got him hurt this year, correct? I hope the kid is ok. But don't come on here and compare stats when one kid leaves in the 2nd quarter and the other stays in and his stats implode.