Franklin (10-2) at Whitehaven (12-0) - 6A Quarterfinal

kwc

Well we was beating them first...we went through a couple coaching changes before we got the right people in place. Then we took back over. They were actually beating with our own alumni...I went to school with the guys they had as coaches then. But to there credit they've never been this bad, they are goin through coaches every other year now.

To all the franklin fans that are coming in to da haven 2moro....all talk and hype aside. We hope yall have a safe trip to and from. We hope yall have a good experience here. Our band will certainly put on a show given circumstances, meaning it's supposed to be raining by game time so bring your umbrellas and rain coats!! Hopefully it will be scattered and we don't get much. Thank God for turf!!! Enot your visit and we do hope yall lose!!!

Question about your area...how did Da Haven take over from Orange Mound as the dominate program in the Memphis area?

Make no mistake, we were always on the Level... When schools like UT, Miami, LSU, UGA, Alabama, etc come get players from you (this was in the late 80s and 90s btw) this means you have ALWAYS been on the level... 

But not to be a D I'll answer your question with a simple answer More Educated Coaches... Back in the day when we couldn't beat Germantown and other Suburban and Private Schools was simply due to lack of manpower within the coaching staff. Back during the Coach Collins era there were likely no more than 4-5 coaches out there on a regular basis (I'm speculating but I think I am correct from what I've heard). I heard that the players were doing a lot of the coaching as well.

Fast forward to now there are like 14 or 15+ coaches that are consistently out there with the kids from strength and conditioning, speed training, Freshmen team, JV and of course Varsity and all the various positional coaches. NO LIE there are at Least 15 coaches bruh! We even have a "Football Operations" guy that not only records the game but can get us some REAL TIME IN GAME Tendencies so coaches aren't out there simply coaching from their "gut!"

But it's not just the numbers part. As I said, EDUCATED Coaches. Coach Collins laid a foundation to us to use football and don't let football use us. Every coach since then from Dr. (Coach) Hunter, Maurice Harris and now Bro. Rodney Saulsberry has preached the same thing! So, when one gets a chance to come back to the program they aren't just bringing more X and O knowledge learned at whatever college they attended they are also bringing back that 'thing' that helps cultivate confidence in a group of guys that were once told consistently told

"You can't get past the 3rd Rd/Quarterfinals" or

"You can't beat them big ole white boys at Germantown" or

"this or that (Gold) color jerseys are janky" or

"The Refs will make sure you will lose", etc...

After my time at TTU (briefly as a Student-Athlete, mostly as a Student lol) and I'm sure other former players that graduated and ended up coming back to coach felt this way too, after seeing teams like Riverdale up close (my Frat Brother started for their 2001-'02 State Title team) and playing ball with folks from Maryville (Colton Buford), etc. I had an amazing Epiphany that we Should really Beat these folks way more often than not, no disrespect but we have the talent to do it. With the Educated Coaching we now also have the brainpower to go with our other physical gifts. That's my perspective.

We have created a Program under Saulsberry who is a direct pick from the Collins Coaching tree while Melrose have let their program slide by not re-connecting with the Tim Thompson Era folks. 

Question about your area...how did Da Haven take over from Orange Mound as the dominate program in the Memphis area?

Coach10ac,

You have to realize that Melrose had done what we had NEVER done until recently thus the perception throughout the great state TN was that Melrose was THE TOP DOG in the City of Memphis. While we had signing days of over 10 kids consistently signing Schollys Melrose was winning 2 out of 3 State Titles in the Mid 90s (96-98?) with great players like Ced Wilson (UT grad, Nat'l Champ and SB Champ), Dewayne Robertson (a former top 4 Draft pick smh) and Kendall Moorehead (Roll Tide). They also went to the State Finals in Back to Back Years led by Antonio Hefner during the mid 2000s ('05-'06 ?). Around that same stretch I believe that they were consistently in the Semifinals. So I understand why folks outside of Memphis feel like we took their Crown when we at Whitehaven never thought they had one playing in lower classifications!

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Coach10ac,

You have to realize that Melrose had done what we had NEVER done until recently thus the perception throughout the great state TN was that Melrose was THE TOP DOG in the City of Memphis. While we had signing days of over 10 kids consistently signing Schollys Melrose was winning 2 out of 3 State Titles in the Mid 90s (96-98?) with great players like Ced Wilson (UT grad, Nat'l Champ and SB Champ), Dewayne Robertson (a former top 4 Draft pick smh) and Kendall Moorehead (Roll Tide). They also went to the State Finals in Back to Back Years led by Antonio Hefner during the mid 2000s ('05-'06 ?). Around that same stretch I believe that they were consistently in the Semifinals. So I understand why folks outside of Memphis feel like we took their Crown when we at Whitehaven never thought they had one playing in lower classifications!

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Coach10ac,

RESPECT DA HAVEN

Make no mistake, we were always on the Level... When schools like UT, Miami, LSU, UGA, Alabama, etc come get players from you (this was in the late 80s and 90s btw) this means you have ALWAYS been on the level...

But not to be a D I'll answer your question with a simple answer More Educated Coaches... Back in the day when we couldn't beat Germantown and other Suburban and Private Schools was simply due to lack of manpower within the coaching staff. Back during the Coach Collins era there were likely no more than 4-5 coaches out there on a regular basis (I'm speculating but I think I am correct from what I've heard). I heard that the players were doing a lot of the coaching as well.

Fast forward to now there are like 14 or 15+ coaches that are consistently out there with the kids from strength and conditioning, speed training, Freshmen team, JV and of course Varsity and all the various positional coaches. NO LIE there are at Least 15 coaches bruh! We even have a "Football Operations" guy that not only records the game but can get us some REAL TIME IN GAME Tendencies so coaches aren't out there simply coaching from their "gut!"

But it's not just the numbers part. As I said, EDUCATED Coaches. Coach Collins laid a foundation to us to use football and don't let football use us. Every coach since then from Dr. (Coach) Hunter, Maurice Harris and now Bro. Rodney Saulsberry has preached the same thing! So, when one gets a chance to come back to the program they aren't just bringing more X and O knowledge learned at whatever college they attended they are also bringing back that 'thing' that helps cultivate confidence in a group of guys that were once told consistently told

After my time at TTU (briefly as a Student-Athlete, mostly as a Student lol) and I'm sure other former players that graduated and ended up coming back to coach felt this way too, after seeing teams like Riverdale up close (my Frat Brother started for their 2001-'02 State Title team) and playing ball with folks from Maryville (Colton Buford), etc. I had an amazing Epiphany that we Should really Beat these folks way more often than not, no disrespect but we have the talent to do it. With the Educated Coaching we now also have the brainpower to go with our other physical gifts. That's my perspective.

We have created a Program under Saulsberry who is a direct pick from the Collins Coaching tree while Melrose have let their program slide by not re-connecting with the Tim Thompson Era folks.

That's a great read right there. I think successful folks coming back home is the secret ingredient to a whole big recipe in getting these metro schools rolling. Whitehaven is doing something good over on the west end of the state. So many former players who make it to the second or even third level, get done playing, and go straight to coach private school, or straight to coach successful wealthy school X,Y, or Z.

BHS I'm very aware of all that. More so than you do..lol...but i was lookin at more head to head. In order to be the top dawg you have to beat the top dawg...but I will say this, had our our guys Kenny ingram, and chester flowers been head coaches at Da Haven rather than melrose we would have more titles than what we have...we have always been in the tougher division. If we go down to 4 or 3a we would have more too....lol

It's honestly just the program and pride that we've built throughout the community over the years. Our feeder programs; Whitehaven Cowboys pewee teams and Havenview middle are coached by Whitehaven alum and they all assist with the highschool team as well. I'm talking bout coaches that have been on the sidelines and investing in the kids for 20-30+ years. Literally the same coaches from when I was playing peewee ball over 20 years ago are still there. Our principal is the former head coach and all our coaches are alumni. The community support is the main thing that we have that Melrose doesn't have as much of anymore IMO. On top of them having coaching changes like every other year for the past dozen years.

Good stuff and all the hard work has paid off...Congrats on your HS football program! Good Luck tomorrow night and lets hope the rain stays away. 

It's honestly just the program and pride that we've built throughout the community over the years. Our feeder programs; Whitehaven Cowboys pewee teams and Havenview middle are coached by Whitehaven alum and they all assist with the highschool team as well. I'm talking bout coaches that have been on the sidelines and investing in the kids for 20-30+ years. Literally the same coaches from when I was playing peewee ball over 20 years ago are still there. Our principal is the former head coach and all our coaches are alumni. The community support is the main thing that we have that Melrose doesn't have as much of anymore IMO. On top of them having coaching changes like every other year for the past dozen years.

Congrats and you should be proud! Way to go Da Haven!