Oakland vs, Whitehaven

Blaze45

good shout out to Memphis on there. I felt Oakland was in trouble when whitehaven scored their first td. I could see the momentum shift - the energy and intensity of the players picked up. Could see they knew they had a shot to win it.

Congrats to you guys -heading to the Bartlett invitational basketball tournament this week to watch ba play - on to roundball

I wish he got some better shots

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Whitehaven comeback wins 6A championship

John Varlas , john.varlas@commercialappeal.com11:14 a.m. CST December 4, 2016

Brandon Turner (20) during the first half of the Division I Class 6A Tennessee high school football

COOKEVILLE â€” Heading into Saturday's BlueCross Bowl 6A title game, Memphis teams were 3 for 3 in championships. Whitehaven left it until the bottom of the ninth but the Tigers completed a perfect day at the plate.

Offensive Most Valuable Player Lesley Mosby scored on a 3-yard run with 1:56 to go in the game as the Tigers scored two touchdowns in the final seven minutes to defeat Murfreesboro Oakland, 12-9, on a historic day for Memphis high school football.

Whitehaven (15-0) won its first championship since 2012 hours after Trezevant had repeated as 2A champs and East won the 4A crown. Add in Lausanne's victory in the D2-A final on Thursday and it made for a memorable weekend the 901.

"It's a great day for M-Town," said Tigers coach Rodney Saulsberry.

And a great day to be a Tiger, although for the longest time it looked like Whitehaven wouldn't break through.

Facing a defense that hadn't given up more than 13 points in a game all season, the Tigers sputtered through most of the first three quarters and trailed 9-0 heading into the fourth. They finally broke through with 6:56 remaining when Kylan Watkins capped a 64-yard drive with a 5-yard score.

The drive was kept alive when Mosby â€” doing his best Lamar Jackson imitation in the fourth â€” hit Ka'Dedrick Richardson with a clutch fourth-down pass to the 3 that kept the drive alive.

The Tigers â€” who held Oakland (14-1) to just 189 yards of offense and a season-low point total â€” forced a punt on the next series and got the ball back on its own 20. After a false start, Mosby was at it again, going 66 yards into Oakland territory.

"They were keying on my guy Special K (Watkins) so I had to make a play," he said. "They left me open."

Added Saulsberry, "I know we almost gave everyone a heart attack. But give Oakland credit; they were the ones that made it tough on us and there were times when we uniquely got in our way."

And even though defensive coordinator Errol Harmon had his men playing lights out from start to finish â€” Oakland's first-quarter touchdown drive covered just 32 yards after a shanked punt â€”  everyone in gold was confident the job would eventually get done.

"We're a team," said Saulsberry. "When one gets down, the other one picks up. That's what we do. We saw some things in the first half ... and we just had to execute better."

Mosby said Oakland's defense was the best he's seen but that's the only mistake he made Saturday. His own was better.

And Saturday, they showed it.

Edited by kwc

TSSAA CLASS 6A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

At Cookeville, Tenn.

WHITEHAVEN 12, OAKLAND 9

MURFREESBORO OAKLAND â€” 9

Whitehaven 12 â€” 12

Oak — Patterson 1 run (Sears kick)

Oak — safety

Wh — Kylan Watkins 5 run (kick failed)

Wh — Lesley Mosby 3 run (run failed)

OAK            WH

First downs                                   14                11

Net yards rushing                        131             251

Net yards passing                         58               48

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing â€” Murfreesboro Oakland, Patterson 23-94. Whitehaven, Kylan Watkins 23-135, Lesley Mosby 8-113.

Passing â€” Murfreesboro Oakland, Matthews 8-15-58-1. Whitehaven, Lesley Mosby 6-15-48-0.

Receiving â€” Murfreesboro Oakland, Stevens 4-17. Whitehaven, Markerion Johnson 3-14.

Records â€” Murfreesboro Oakland 14-1, Whitehaven 15-0.

Edited by kwc