Union City versus Mayfield KY 2017

ysoangry

I am wondering where my Mayfield friends are.  Come on out and  talk to me.  If you can't tell I'm really excited about what I saw last night.  I like how my Lake County friend put it "toe to toe". There is no better way to say it. Mr. O gave his opinion and he was "fair". Maybe a little too hard on the pass defense but I will take that kind of constructive criticism when playing a team like Haywood County.  We held the ball and moved it very well converting a 4th and 6 at midfield.  The only time we were slowed down or stopped was of our own doing ie...fumble or slipping on the artificial turf. All I can say right now is,  bring on the Cardinals. 

Said I would add more about the Cards scrimmage when I got home but it was really late and I lacked the same bravado I had right after the scrimmage.  As stated we tied Madisonville 7-7 and beat Henderson Co 13-0. 

The big ? for Mayfield is QB play and that was answered last night as the sophomore had a good night.  With a QB that can hit the bubbles, mid range and deep it opens up a deep run game.  The defense was a little disappointing to me.  It was not bad but gave up some plays.  The d line over penetrated some early and a couple mistakes a new LB hurt early on but saw improvement later in the night. 

As for Friday, it should be a great game.  I expect Mayfield to win and will be surprised if they do not.  The reasoning  for A Cards win is simple, they almost always do win.  I could go on and on about this or that but due to the fact that I know so little about UC it would have not merit 

Thanks for the update Toothpick.  I can't wait till Friday.  I still want to meet you fine Cardinal supporters and I look forward to shaking hands and putting faces with names.  Until then,  have a great week of practice and safe travels.  I will be keeping up this week and responding to posts as normal.  Go Tornadoes

17 minutes ago, Mysonis55 said:

I just want everyone to know, the Cards will be flying in UC in 6 days. It won't be as close as I originally thought. Cards by 3 scores. Sorry, but I won't be able to be there. Someone has to keep the streets safe in Graves County while most people will be in UC to watch the air show. 

Thanks for keeping the streets safe. If Mayfield beats Union City by 3tds then the state of Kentucky should cancel the 2A football season and mail the state title trophy to Mayfield. I highly doubt any 2A school in Kentucky is 3 tds better than Union City. Mayfield may win the game but it will not be by 3tds.

22 hours ago, BigSwo said:

Thank you for keeping the streets safe.  I appreciate your service.  Your prediction however is outrageous.  You will see.  I promise.  

Bigswo going on what I know and heard about both teams I'm gonna give the best prediction I can that will be as truthful as any fan could. I am gonna have to say that the team that does win will win by 3 so let's go CARDS but I will say this if our qb and receivers are on the same page that night it will be a long night for the tornados then I will have to say cards by 14

1980 I like that.  I'm so stoked after I saw how our boys handled that massive line from Haywood County that I have a really good feeling about our chances.  The boys left the field fired up even though it was a 15-14 loss.  They know what they did and they know that they can do what needs to be done.  I stick to what I said earlier.  If we can get two stops and create a turnover or two then we will be in great shape.  However if we fumble and commit stupid penalties like we did Friday night then the Cardinals will drive back home with a nice win to start the season.  

It's gonna be fun either way.  Go Tornadoes!

Just remember Mayfield fans, you will be playing in Tennessee under Tennessee rules so a little home cookin'  is always possible lol.  Just like when we play up in your town next year.  Our pass defense will be suspect for sure.  But, our grind and grit 3 and 4 yards at a time offense will lure you to sleep and we will burn you with a pass or a run right up the middle that you won't be expecting.  I was at your scrimage so yes, your Q B can throw and good receivers.  Not sure your defense can slow down our smash mouth, in your face offense.

Edited by ucdiditagain

2 hours ago, ucdiditagain said:

Just remember Mayfield fans, you will be playing in Tennessee under Tennessee rules so a little home cookin'  is always possible lol.  Just like when we play up in your town next year.  Our pass defense will be suspect for sure.  But, our grind and grit 3 and 4 yards at a time offense will lure you to sleep and we will burn you with a pass or a run right up the middle that you won't be expecting.  I was at your scrimage so yes, your Q B can throw and good receivers.  Not sure your defense can slow down our smash mouth, in your face offense.

This game will be well worth admission. If Union City has improved on defense it will be a good game!

I liked what I saw out of our defense last Friday night.  I thought we did well. We didn't have any film on Haywood unless it was from last year.  I sure the coaches have exchanged film this week.  So we will see how both teams adjust after having a week of practice with great coaching staffs to prepare them for this highly anticipated game.