D2-AAA 2017

CPAdore

Since you asked....

The MUS team that beat South Panola 29-0 in late September was NOT the team that limped across the finish line, barely beating Briarcrest and CBHS - games they easily could have lost - and losing to Baylor. This was not an elite MUS team and never a contender. Before the injuries set in, I agreed with a poll in October that had them ranked behind BA and MBA. Then they had a superlative defense headed by arguably the best group of linebackers in the state but only a mediocre offense directed by a streaky, mediocre one-dimensional (passing) QB. But they didn't have the depth of past MUS elite teams. Many players played both ways. (None of the MUS gold ballers of the last 15 years had any 2 way players) Then they lost 2 of their top 3 linebackers for the season. One that avoided the injury bug - a 10th grader named Hopkins - ended up being named Mr. Football. The QB injured his shoulder and was out for the month of October and never fully recovered. Moreover, he re-injured it before the Baylor game, but was forced to play because the backup QB - who was also their top DB - was out with an ankle injury suffered in the CBHS game, which helped the Bros rebound from an early 14-0 deficit to take the lead and almost win.

As to the Baylor game. I've already mentioned how gimpy the Owls were. Historically, they have beaten more talented/athletic teams due to their discipline and execution. Both of these were hugely lacking in this game. It was by far their worst played game of the season and perhaps of the last decade. They far surpassed any previous 2016 game in the number of penalties and penalty yardage. They lost the "TO battle." They were recovering a Baylor fumble on the 2 yard line line when an MUS player inadvertently kicked the ball out of the other player's arms and directly to a Baylor player. Baylor kicked a FG. The only Baylor TD was on a 3rd and 17 pass against an inexperienced 10th grader subbing for their best DB who as I mentioned above was not playing. Off sides, motion, holding, etc penalties one after another. It was an absolute circus. MUS "shot themselves in the foot" so many times that the local ERs were probably overflowing after the game. LOL To their credit, Baylor took advantage of this and did just enough to win the game. The only good thing was avoiding likely being humiliated at home by BA the next week.

As far as 2017. I cant' believe they won't be a contender - unless they suffer again from a lack of depth and the resulting susceptibility to injuries. I'm not close to the program so i don't know about depth. Any QB has to be an improvement. They have 3 legitimate Mr Football candidates in Hopkins, Hampton and Collins. They have a rising 10th grader 6'4" 280 lb beast in Henderson. The 3 "H" players will all be FBS at next level. Hampton (rising junior) already has an offer from LSU. One of those 2 injured LBs will return. Their 2 best DBs will return. So they have the nucleus of potentially a very good team, certainly the favorite in the West.

BTW i completely agree with your comment about CBHS football. However great BBall, baseball, soccer and wrestling teams every year.

FWIW, a now deceased friend of mine who was close to CBHS, told me that former coach Locastro frowned on or even totally boycotted his players from playing other sports. Forced to make a choice, some of their best athletes chose baseball over football because they arguably had a better chance of playing at the next level in baseball. Thus, their FB team suffered. (He told me about a fireballer pitcher who could chuck a football 50 yards). This ostensibly had a large part with his being fired.

Just what I was told.....

Great insight about MUS especially as someone who isn't "in the know" about everything they do like myself. Like I said previously, I expect them to be a state title contender in 2017. As for CBHS and locastro, I actually think it was the other way around as far as other sports were concerned, particularly baseball. Football players regular play both football and basketball, track, or soccer(mainly kickers). The CBHS baseball coach, from what I hear, requires players to play 40-50 summer league baseball games each year or risk getting cut from the team. Wouldn't consider myself extremely knowledgeable about that whole situation, but what I have heard from people who are knowledgeable is that he was let go because he wanted to bring in athletes and administration felt it would damage the schools reputation. It seems it may have been time for both parties to go their own ways, and I doubt locastro is too upset after finally winning a state title, albeit in the lower division and CBHS people seem excited m about mcdaniels being the coach now.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Father Ryan administration will allow Brian Rector the opportunity to go out and get 6 or 7 players each season the Irish will begin to compete.  I am not sure that he will hang around if they do not allow him the opportunity to get players.  The man knows how to coach but no coach can win if they don't have some talent.

Great insight about MUS especially as someone who isn't "in the know" about everything they do like myself. Like I said previously, I expect them to be a state title contender in 2017. As for CBHS and locastro, I actually think it was the other way around as far as other sports were concerned, particularly baseball. Football players regular play both football and basketball, track, or soccer(mainly kickers). The CBHS baseball coach, from what I hear, requires players to play 40-50 summer league baseball games each year or risk getting cut from the team. Wouldn't consider myself extremely knowledgeable about that whole situation, but what I have heard from people who are knowledgeable is that he was let go because he wanted to bring in athletes and administration felt it would damage the schools reputation. It seems it may have been time for both parties to go their own ways, and I doubt locastro is too upset after finally winning a state title, albeit in the lower division and CBHS people seem excited m about mcdaniels being the coach now.

You are absolutely correct about the situation at CBHS.  I had it bass-ackwards or whatever the expression is....The baseball coach was the problem not Locastro.  Hope I didn't upset any of his supporters.  

Especially not in D2-AAA cbg. I would have to agree there. 

Great insight on MUS. I always expect them to be contenders. That makes sense why Baylor beat them. MUS used to have a QB factory running out of there.

Their last really good QB was Jordan Rodgers, who just had a breakout season in baseball at UT.  Before that Toby Baker, who is now a 5th year punter at Arkansas and very likely to be in the NFL next year.  And of course Barry Brunetti was the great dual threat QB of the 2 nationally ranked undefeated state champs in 2008-2009

You are absolutely correct about the situation at CBHS. I had it bass-ackwards or whatever the expression is....The baseball coach was the problem not Locastro. Hope I didn't upset any of his supporters.

No worries, don't think you came off as disrespectful or anything if that nature. As a follower of West TN high school football, especially the private schools, your MUS insight is appreciated!

No worries, don't think you came off as disrespectful or anything if that nature. As a follower of West TN high school football, especially the private schools, your MUS insight is appreciated!

I have a story to tell, also from my deceased friend, but propriety of course forbids me from specifics.  Suffice it say that in the last decade, the father of a budding superstar at CBHS demanded certain "perks" in order for his son to remain at CBHS.  To his credit, Locastro told the player to pack it up.  The unbelievable part is that he actually tried to transfer to MUS, not realizing (like many) that MUS is much tougher academically and has a daunting day long entrance exam to boot, which this kid, a marginal student at CBHS, could not have passed in a thousand years!  However, he ended up at a public school and did fine there.

Edited by owlbooster

Since you asked....

The MUS team that beat South Panola 29-0 in late September was NOT the team that limped across the finish line, barely beating Briarcrest and CBHS - games they easily could have lost - and losing to Baylor. This was not an elite MUS team and never a contender. Before the injuries set in, I agreed with a poll in October that had them ranked behind BA and MBA. Then they had a superlative defense headed by arguably the best group of linebackers in the state but only a mediocre offense directed by a streaky, mediocre one-dimensional (passing) QB. But they didn't have the depth of past MUS elite teams. Many players played both ways. (None of the MUS gold ballers of the last 15 years had any 2 way players) Then they lost 2 of their top 3 linebackers for the season. One that avoided the injury bug - a 10th grader named Hopkins - ended up being named Mr. Football. The QB injured his shoulder and was out for the month of October and never fully recovered. Moreover, he re-injured it before the Baylor game, but was forced to play because the backup QB - who was also their top DB - was out with an ankle injury suffered in the CBHS game, which helped the Bros rebound from an early 14-0 deficit to take the lead and almost win.

As to the Baylor game. I've already mentioned how gimpy the Owls were. Historically, they have beaten more talented/athletic teams due to their discipline and execution. Both of these were hugely lacking in this game. It was by far their worst played game of the season and perhaps of the last decade. They far surpassed any previous 2016 game in the number of penalties and penalty yardage. They lost the "TO battle." They were recovering a Baylor fumble on the 2 yard line line when an MUS player inadvertently kicked the ball out of the other player's arms and directly to a Baylor player. Baylor kicked a FG. The only Baylor TD was on a 3rd and 17 pass against an inexperienced 10th grader subbing for their best DB who as I mentioned above was not playing. Off sides, motion, holding, etc penalties one after another. It was an absolute circus. MUS "shot themselves in the foot" so many times that the local ERs were probably overflowing after the game. LOL To their credit, Baylor took advantage of this and did just enough to win the game. The only good thing was avoiding likely being humiliated at home by BA the next week.

As far as 2017. I cant' believe they won't be a contender - unless they suffer again from a lack of depth and the resulting susceptibility to injuries. I'm not close to the program so i don't know about depth. Any QB has to be an improvement. They have 3 legitimate Mr Football candidates in Hopkins, Hampton and Collins. They have a rising 10th grader 6'4" 280 lb beast in Henderson. The 3 "H" players will all be FBS at next level. Hampton (rising junior) already has an offer from LSU. One of those 2 injured LBs will return. Their 2 best DBs will return. So they have the nucleus of potentially a very good team, certainly the favorite in the West.

BTW i completely agree with your comment about CBHS football. However great BBall, baseball, soccer and wrestling teams every year.

FWIW, a now deceased friend of mine who was close to CBHS, told me that former coach Locastro frowned on or even totally boycotted his players from playing other sports. Forced to make a choice, some of their best athletes chose baseball over football because they arguably had a better chance of playing at the next level in baseball. Thus, their FB team suffered. (He told me about a fireballer pitcher who could chuck a football 50 yards). This ostensibly had a large part with his being fired.

Just what I was told.....

MUS is always a hard place to get a win come November you are right about that

Their last really good QB was Jordan Rodgers, who just had a breakout season in baseball at UT. Before that Toby Baker, who is now a 5th year punter at Arkansas and very likely to be in the NFL next year. And of course Barry Brunetti was the great dual threat QB of the 2 nationally ranked undefeated state champs in 2008-2009

The MUS 2008-2009 teams were some of the best I've saw play in the state

Their last really good QB was Jordan Rodgers, who just had a breakout season in baseball at UT.  Before that Toby Baker, who is now a 5th year punter at Arkansas and very likely to be in the NFL next year.  And of course Barry Brunetti was the great dual threat QB of the 2 nationally ranked undefeated state champs in 2008-2009

The emergence of Rodgers as a top notch SEC baseball player at UT is especially gratifying.  I remember how a poster, whose team's QB was headed for the SEC, belittled him for not having any D1 football offers.  I responded that it meant nothing because all the schools knew he was going to play baseball not football at the next level.  Then he went out and destroyed that poster's team in a playoff game.

I agree - thought Baylor was better this year until the BA and McCallie game. Was thinking more with cbhs

My deceased friend to whom I often refer, was a standout player in HS and played college ball at Texas.  He had extraordinary knowledge and insight.  In his last years, the 2 HS players he raved about the most were Jalen Ramsay and Derrick Barnett.   Funny story.  He joined me at a playoff baseball game with BA and I pointed out that Cody White was sitting i front of us, and for the next half hour was a silent onlooker as they "talked shop.".  LOL.

what a neat story - jalen and derick could not be different personality wise but it has been fun to watch both play . I have been to many ut games to see him play and have enjoyed watching him for sure . One of the greatest to ever play at UT. It still perplexes me why ba didn't win at Least one championship with all those guys on the team if you look back -woody baron who is having a great year at Virginia tech was on those teams- cj sanders at notre dame was on those teams , derick Barnett, jalen remsey , graham shuler who many thought was a top 5 center nationally at Stanford in college was on those teams , Amos Mason starting end at navy was linebacker and end on those teams.

I have misssd more. Maybe they didn't quite have rhe Chemistry of these teams or maybe it has taken time for the teams to learn Codys offense - new coordinator perhaps or JO in as such a perfect fit for that offense --I'm not really sure

Sorry to hear about your friend - he sounds like a neat guy

My deceased friend to whom I often refer, was a standout player in HS and played college ball at Texas. He had extraordinary knowledge and insight. In his last years, the 2 HS players he raved about the most were Jalen Ramsay and Derrick Barnett. Funny story. He joined me at a playoff baseball game with BA and I pointed out that Cody White was sitting i front of us, and for the next half hour was a silent onlooker as they "talked shop.". LOL.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976