Eight player football

Indian

I don't think there would be too many current Division I class 1A teams leaving to make a huge difference. I think such a group would have some of those, some from Division II, non-tssaa church school teams and maybe some homeschool teams.

I agree with you.  I think if enrollment collapses at L.V. to the point they don't have a 1a team, the will end up like St. Andrews.  I was surprised how low the enrollment has dropped at St. Andrews given that the merged with the old Sewanee Academy formerly SMA. 

If there was a way to schedule a season that doesn't compete with one of the other major sports, that would be the way to go, but I don't think there is.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked up on a website and there are 10-12 schools playing 8 man football.  Don't know how many are members of TSSAA, but IF THEY were, you could take the smallest 1A schools and have a max of 32 schools playing 1A football for a state championship.

Here is the smallest 15pubic schools with a team in 1a .   Sale Creek and  Whitwell is there just for those that think they are small for some reason.  Public schools that don't have teams but good enrollment numbers are Van Buren County, Santa Fe and Washburn.

At any rate, several of these are tradition reach and/or perennial powers.

Cloudland 233

Coalfield 180

Greenback 234

Hollowrock-Bruceton 184

Huntland 272

Lake County   223

Lookout Valley 172

Midway 272

Moore County 275

Oakdale 183

Pickett County 226

Red Boiling Springs 204

South Fulton 235

South Pittsburg 240

Sunbright 183

Sale Creek 295

Whitwell 321

Here is the smallest 15pubic schools with a team in 1a . Sale Creek and Whitwell is there just for those that think they are small for some reason. Public schools that don't have teams but good enrollment numbers are Van Buren County, Santa Fe and Washburn.

At any rate, several of these are tradition reach and/or perennial powers.

Cloudland 233

Coalfield 180

Greenback 234

Hollowrock-Bruceton 184

Huntland 272

Lake County 223

Lookout Valley 172

Midway 272

Moore County 275

Oakdale 183

Pickett County 226

Red Boiling Springs 204

South Fulton 235

South Pittsburg 240

Sunbright 183

Sale Creek 295

Whitwell 321

Yep a lot of State Championship appearances in that group.(More than most of the rest)LOL!!

I think schools in West Tennessee like Bradford, Clarksburg, and Big Sandy would highly benefit from exploring options in 8 man football. . I don't think the point of 8 man should be for the smaller 1A schools to drop down. It should be about schools trying to build programs in football with an eye in the future going to 11 man. That's just my take

I think schools in West Tennessee like Bradford, Clarksburg, and Big Sandy would highly benefit from exploring options in 8 man football. . I don't think the point of 8 man should be for the smaller 1A schools to drop down. It should be about schools trying to build programs in football with an eye in the future going to 11 man. That's just my take

That would be another good, viable reason to do it.  Instead of having to fold up the tent and forfeit the season, as some schools have done, or play JV schedules for a while to start things up, jump right into 8 man (or, IMO, 6 man would be even cooler and may even be the future of the game with the concussion hysteria) and play some competitive ball right away.

The key would be for it to be somewhat flexible.  Let everyone have the choice to opt in to the non-traditional football class for 8 man, regardless of public/private or enrollment size, then let them opt out if and when they decide they'd like to compete in 11 man with the vast majority of the teams in the state.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: for schools like Unaka, Union County (4a enrollment but barely 30 kids on the team in a good year), Pickett County, etc. and other schools that want to start a program up, this would really be good for them and good for HS football in our state.

• 3 weeks later...