State Finals Picks and analysis- AAA

Bump11

Who ya got? Here's my take. Feel free to leave your thoughts as well as what youd do differently.

106- Trent Nelson, Tennessee vs Noah Horst, Beech

While Nelson is probably the favorite, ill stick with my original pick and take Horst. Since being tested in Rd 2, hes been on a mission. Plus Nelson has a loss to Horst's PIC Brayden Palmer. Something im sure Noah knows all about. And that will help.

113- TJ Hicks, Bradley vs Brayden Palmer, Beech

TJ is the top dog til proven otherwise. And i think "proven otherwise" happens tonight. Palmer has looked phenomenal. And he handled Garrett Bowers in the semis. Hes deadly on his feet, a hammer on top, and slick on bottom. No matter the outcome, we are in for a dog fight. IMO this is the marquee matchup on the night. Ill take Palmer

120- Calvin Martin, William Blount vs Sean Sesnan, Wilson Central

A very interesting matchup. Both are former state runners up, both had championship losses to Hicks. Martin is a defending state runner up, while Sesnan came into this year after a disappointing finish to last year when his season was cut short by .1 lbs. I believe Sean has something to prove, and making the move to Wilson Central this year has made an already top class talent, that much better. The pick is Sesnan

126- Daniel Fowler, Independence vs Jack Shrader, Franklin

I am a big fan of Jack Shrader. He is extremely fun to watch and always seems to have that extra gear when it matters most. The only thing is, the same appplies for Fowler. While most might consider Fowlers presence in the finals a surprise, he is one of the best competitors ive seen this year. He wrestles with a ton of heart and passion, and i think he gets the state title he deserves. Not taking away from Shrader, he is very deserving as well, but on this day, the Eagle gets his hand raised.

132- Ryan McElhaney, Bradley vs Colton Landers, Cleveland

Oh boy. I said 113 was the marquee match..well this is the most anticipated. And its not even close. They've met 3 times this year, with McElhaney winning 2/3. However all of that means nothing when these 2 warriors stand face to face one last time. Its really a toss up. 2 of the best p4p in the division, plus the added element of Bradley vs Cleveland makes it that much better. Im really at a cross roads here. My head says Landers, for 2 reasons. 1. Because you know they say how hard it is to beat the same person/team 3 times. Cleveland found that out the hard way. And 2. Because when at 100% i do believe Landers is the better of the 2. Ughhhhh...Decisions decisions. This may bite me in the butt, but im sticking with my original pick and taking McElhaney in a best match worthy performance.

138- Dewey Pendley, Tennessee vs Zack Wilkins, Mt Juliet

A very fun match. I see this as a high scoring affair. Lots of big move potential. Im honestly surprised neither of these guys has a title yet. But that will change for 1 of them. They wrestled in the semis last year with Pendley winning before falling to Knox Fuller. This year will be different. As much as i hate to go against Tennessee High, im gonna do it for the 2nd time. Ill take Wilkins in a barn burner

145- Knox Fuller, Bradley vs Tony Wilson, Soddy Daisy

Tony Wilson has been great this year and has really come on strong this weekend. But this is Knox Fuller we are talking about. Arguably the best p4p in the division, and top 2 or 3 p4p in the entire state. The matchup on paper may say Fuller vs Wilson, but the real matchup is Fuller vs the guy standing the way of state title #4. Knox gets added to the prestigious list of 4x champions.

152- Landon Fowler, Blackman vs Austin Matthews, Bradley

Fowler became probably the surprise of the tourney when he knocked off Trevor Rippy. I dont think anyone other than maybe a few Blackman faithful saw that as a possibility. Thats enough to make me a believer. Matthews is a stud and has alot of great wrestling ahead of him, but i say the Fowler train keeps rolling and he "blazes" his way to a state title. (See what i did there)

160- Matthew Sells, Blackman vs Caleb Adkins, Bradley

This is alot like 145. While Sells isnt going for a 4th title, he's similar to Fuller in that, hes one of the p4p best and on another level at this weight. I didnt see anyone being able to compete with him in this bracket when the tournament started, and i dont see anyone in this bracket who can touch him now either. Adkins puts forth a valiant effort but Blackman gets title #2. Sells for the win.

170- Colton McMahan, Halls vs Max Grayson, Bearden

To be honest i dont know alot about Grayson. Another surprise finalist imo, and someone who after getting to watch this weekend, I believe has big things in store down the road. Key words, down the road. I think McMahan is just too much here. Grayson i think keeps it close, but the Halls product pulls it put.

182- Hunter Fortner, Gibbs vs Christian Salter, Siegel

These 2 roads to the finals were very different. Fortner had a tough path with 2 close matches, while Salter bulldozed his way through his half of the bracket with relative ease with a pin, a tech, and a major. Fortner being tested early, as well as having more experience on this stage, should pay dividends for him as he is battle tested, while Salter hasnt really had a big test yet. That changes tonight, but the junior passes with flying colors. Salter wins

195- Jeremy Spangler, Tennessee vs Nathan Walling, Mt. Juliet

Another one of my favorite matches. And again, im betting against the house. Walling is a special talent. He had his coming out party when he beat Kaleb Rippy last year during the season, but had his postseason hopes crushed by injury in the state tournament. Now he's back and better than ever and looking to right the ship. And i think he does just that. Walling is the pick.

220- Isaiah Demello, Independence vs Javier Salvador, Heritage

Another couple guys i don't know alot about. Probably the least talked about finals match, and its easy to understand why. 220 just didnt have the fire power as some of the other weights. Both of these guys have been worthy of a title this weekend with big performances. But with the team race in mind, and Independence fighting for a spot on the podium, Demello gives them that last second push they need to try and secure a plaque.

285- Nick Boykin, Riverdale vs Michael Kramer, Wilson Central

Ill keep this one short and sweet. All Boykin, All Day. No offense to Kramer, who is hands down the 2nd best at this weight and should be on his own level the next 2 years, but Boykin is too much. The future olympian gets it done

Top 4 teams

1. Bradley

2. Cleveland

3. Tennessee

4. Independence

Outstanding Wrestler- Knox Fuller, Bradley 145

Best Match- 132 lb finals, McElhaney vs Landers

Edited by Bump11

I will go with Trent, Palmer, Sesnan, Fowler, McElhaney, Wilkins, Fuller, Fowler, Sells, McMahan, Fortner, Walling, Salvador, Boykin

OW- Fuller

Best match- Palmer Vs Hicks

I believe most of yours are right however at 106 yes Palmer beat Trent however at this point in their careers Palmer is more of a stud than Horst is, he will get there but Trent and Palmer was a close match and although practice partners I don't believe Palmer and Horst are that close just yet if they were to wrestle an actual match with something on the line. Going to be a fun day!

Edited by cobrakid8

Who ya got? Here's my take. Feel free to leave your thoughts as well as what youd do differently.

106- Trent Nelson, Tennessee vs Noah Horst, Beech

While Nelson is probably the favorite, ill stick with my original pick and take Horst. Since being tested in Rd 2, hes been on a mission. Plus Nelson has a loss to Horst's PIC Brayden Palmer. Something im sure Noah knows all about. And that will help.

113- TJ Hicks, Bradley vs Brayden Palmer, Beech

TJ is the top dog til proven otherwise. And i think "proven otherwise" happens tonight. Palmer has looked phenomenal. And he handled Garrett Bowers in the semis. Hes deadly on his feet, a hammer on top, and slick on bottom. No matter the outcome, we are in for a dog fight. IMO this is the marquee matchup on the night. Ill take Palmer

120- Calvin Martin, William Blount vs Sean Sesnan, Wilson Central

A very interesting matchup. Both are former state runners up, both had championship losses to Hicks. Martin is a defending state runner up, while Sesnan came into this year after a disappointing finish to last year when his season was cut short by .1 lbs. I believe Sean has something to prove, and making the move to Wilson Central this year has made an already top class talent, that much better. The pick is Sesnan

126- Daniel Fowler, Independence vs Jack Shrader, Franklin

I am a big fan of Jack Shrader. He is extremely fun to watch and always seems to have that extra gear when it matters most. The only thing is, the same appplies for Fowler. While most might consider Fowlers presence in the finals a surprise, he is one of the best competitors ive seen this year. He wrestles with a ton of heart and passion, and i think he gets the state title he deserves. Not taking away from Shrader, he is very deserving as well, but on this day, the Eagle gets his hand raised.

132- Ryan McElhaney, Bradley vs Colton Landers, Cleveland

Oh boy. I said 113 was the marquee match..well this is the most anticipated. And its not even close. They've met 3 times this year, with McElhaney winning 2/3. However all of that means nothing when these 2 warriors stand face to face one last time. Its really a toss up. 2 of the best p4p in the division, plus the added element of Bradley vs Cleveland makes it that much better. Im really at a cross roads here. My head says Landers, for 2 reasons. 1. Because you know they say how hard it is to beat the same person/team 3 times. Cleveland found that out the hard way. And 2. Because when at 100% i do believe Landers is the better of the 2. Ughhhhh...Decisions decisions. This may bite me in the butt, but im sticking with my original pick and taking McElhaney in a best match worthy performance.

138- Dewey Pendley, Tennessee vs Zack Wilkins, Mt Juliet

A very fun match. I see this as a high scoring affair. Lots of big move potential. Im honestly surprised neither of these guys has a title yet. But that will change for 1 of them. They wrestled in the semis last year with Pendley winning before falling to Knox Fuller. This year will be different. As much as i hate to go against Tennessee High, im gonna do it for the 2nd time. Ill take Wilkins in a barn burner

145- Knox Fuller, Bradley vs Tony Wilson, Soddy Daisy

Tony Wilson has been great this year and has really come on strong this weekend. But this is Knox Fuller we are talking about. Arguably the best p4p in the division, and top 2 or 3 p4p in the entire state. The matchup on paper may say Fuller vs Wilson, but the real matchup is Fuller vs the guy standing the way of state title #4. Knox gets added to the prestigious list of 4x champions.

152- Landon Fowler, Blackman vs Austin Matthews, Bradley

Fowler became probably the surprise of the tourney when he knocked off Trevor Rippy. I dont think anyone other than maybe a few Blackman faithful saw that as a possibility. Thats enough to make me a believer. Matthews is a stud and has alot of great wrestling ahead of him, but i say the Fowler train keeps rolling and he "blazes" his way to a state title. (See what i did there)

160- Matthew Sells, Blackman vs Caleb Adkins, Bradley

This is alot like 145. While Sells isnt going for a 4th title, he's similar to Fuller in that, hes one of the p4p best and on another level at this weight. I didnt see anyone being able to compete with him in this bracket when the tournament started, and i dont see anyone in this bracket who can touch him now either. Adkins puts forth a valiant effort but Blackman gets title #2. Sells for the win.

170- Colton McMahan, Halls vs Max Grayson, Bearden

To be honest i dont know alot about Grayson. Another surprise finalist imo, and someone who after getting to watch this weekend, I believe has big things in store down the road. Key words, down the road. I think McMahan is just too much here. Grayson i think keeps it close, but the Halls product pulls it put.

182- Hunter Fortner, Gibbs vs Christian Salter, Siegel

These 2 roads to the finals were very different. Fortner had a tough path with 2 close matches, while Salter bulldozed his way through his half of the bracket with relative ease with a pin, a tech, and a major. Fortner being tested early, as well as having more experience on this stage, should pay dividends for him as he is battle tested, while Salter hasnt really had a big test yet. That changes tonight, but the freshman passes with flying colors. Salter wins

195- Jeremy Spangler, Tennessee vs Nathan Walling, Mt. Juliet

Another one of my favorite matches. And again, im betting against the house. Walling is a special talent. He had his coming out party when he beat Kaleb Rippy last year during the season, but had his postseason hopes crushed by injury in the state tournament. Now he's back and better than ever and looking to right the ship. And i think he does just that. Walling is the pick.

220- Isaiah Demello, Independence vs Javier Salvador, Heritage

Another couple guys i don't know alot about. Probably the least talked about finals match, and its easy to understand why. 220 just didnt have the fire power as some of the other weights. Both of these guys have been worthy of a title this weekend with big performances. But with the team race in mind, and Independence fighting for a spot on the podium, Demello gives them that last second push they need to try and secure a plaque.

285- Nick Boykin, Riverdale vs Michael Kramer, Wilson Central

Ill keep this one short and sweet. All Boykin, All Day. No offense to Kramer, who is hands down the 2nd best at this weight and should be on his own level the next 2 years, but Boykin is too much. The future olympian gets it done

Top 4 teams

1. Bradley

2. Cleveland

3. Tennessee

4. Independence

Outstanding Wrestler- Knox Fuller, Bradley 145

Best Match- 132 lb finals, McElhaney vs Landers

Well Done!! Love the Color Commentary!!

The biggest issue i have is with your 220. Salvador has been performing like this all year, He has gone pretty much ignored. I think he will Take it in the finals.

well like I said i dknt knkw much about wither of them other than watcbing them this weekend. Both have looked outstanding. I just think with Indy fighting for placement, Demello has more on the line thats all