Class A Sectionals

Shozen

You must have never seen Macon County, Goodpasture, or some of the other teams Clay has beat. Yes they lack size in the post but Clay has beat 3 other A substate teams 8 times with only one game being close with PC in the region championship. When your PG is 6"4 and can out jump anyone else on the other team while having good fundamental rebounders then length doesn't effect Clay very much. Ashlock is a 6-2/6-3 freshman who gets tons of playing time and is extremely hard to guard down low. So by being undersized I mean they don't have a 6-56-6 post by have a SG that's 6-0/6-1 key at 6-4 and other 6-0 footers.

They also beat AA Macon County who went 16-0 in 8AA and a likely AA state team 2 times both at MC which doesn't happen much. When you play Clay you're already at a disadvantage simply because no one in A can guard Key man to man. So either you play a tight zone or risk getting in major foul trouble by playing man.

Harriman hasn't played/beaten anyone besides GCA that would even come close to Clay's ability. Putting 30 up on someone like Meigs County compared to Key putting up 49 and 45 in the 2 wins vs Macon County are two totally different things.

Goodpasture trounced another Substate team in a Columbia Academy by 32 while only being able to put up 51 vs Clay and I gurantee Goodpasture is as good or better than both GCA and Harriman. Clay's defense is underestimated since they can score.

I will never say someone is unbeatable as it happens all the time and it's likely to happen to someone tomorrow night. Goodpasture is a prime example as they would be a state tourney team if they didn't meet Clay in the region semis.

I'm not disputing the team's ability to play and their tough schedule. It's all about matchups. I'm just putting it out there that by all accounts from top to bottom I think advantage goes to Grace and Harriman. Clay has the best player in the tournament but that's a far cry from saying they have the best team. Sure they've accomplished a lot but you see how talked up DuBois was and we see what happened in crunch time. I'm just saying just because he's the best doesn't mean they can't be touched. A lot of people are going to be surprised if they have to run into Harriman in Murfreesboro.. We don't have a superstar, we have multiple studs and we play excellent together!! I like our chances against anybody we go up against this year!

I'm not disputing the team's ability to play and their tough schedule. It's all about matchups. I'm just putting it out there that by all accounts from top to bottom I think advantage goes to Grace and Harriman. Clay has the best player in the tournament but that's a far cry from saying they have the best team. Sure they've accomplished a lot but you see how talked up DuBois was and we see what happened in crunch time. I'm just saying just because he's the best doesn't mean they can't be touched. A lot of people are going to be surprised if they have to run into Harriman in Murfreesboro.. We don't have a superstar, we have multiple studs and we play excellent together!! I like our chances against anybody we go up against this year!

I concur, that's why I will never say someone is unbeatable or has no chance in winning because it's just simply incorrect unless you're Mitchell the past 3 years 😊. My only argument is Key is averaging 40 a game and has only been held under that mark probably 10 games this year so when one player is doing that any team is going to beat hard to be in high school ball. Exciting times!

Edited by Shozen

Coach T strength of schedule does not even count 5 teams on GCA schedule. Don't forget at Christmas we were the only non 5A-6A team in the Moritz classic in Ft Worth Texas. We finished 6th out of 16 teams and almost made final four except that our point guard Gettlefinger fractured his Tibia in Game 1. We played Games 2-4 without him. One Texas Coach said Ledford and Arnold were the best 1-2 he had seen all season. Both made all tournament team. 

Also the 5th game was in the Clem Haskins classic in KY in January against the KY State runner up and they only had us by 7 when Arnold fouled out with 4mins left in the game. 

We lost to Independence after leading the whole game. WE screwed the pooch the last 3 minutes with some really dumb basketball and turnovers and lost by just a few. Then the next day we spanked Oakland for 3 quarters only to do the same thing but we held on to win that one. 

We are own worst enemy. In fact, I don't fear any team in single "A" ball more than I fear the "DUMB, TURNOVER PRONE, LAZY REBOUNDING, and SELFISH SHOOTING Version of 2017 GCA" and that one shows up a lot. Especially when the crowed is loud and large.

But we have this other version......when it shows up with UNSELFISH Teamwork, Crisp Passing, hard working boards, and awesome shooting with good shot selection.......well ask CAK, Independence, Oakland, Catholic, Webb, Wartburg, Harriman, Meigs Co, and few others in Texas and Kentucky how good that one is. Pretty Good is the Answer.........

So, will we beat Hampton and have chance to prove we belong? I don't know, but I will let you know around 9pm Monday night. 

All we have to do is RISE UP to the occasion and DO WHAT WE CAN DO......

Edited by 12thmanGCA

Agreed, I didn't expect that outcome. However typically The glass house they are allowed to play compared to how high school is normally called. I enjoy watching it and the atmosphere. It's an accomplishment to make it let alone win it.

Just need to get hot at the right time and I feel this is the best year for someone outside of Memphis to win it as Mitchell/Halls isn't quite the powerhouse of norm and Humboldt/Middleton are good but can be beaten.

Man, last year's officiating was questionable IMO...They were whistle happy in many games I watched.

Those games should be allowed to be played and whistles swallowed for the most part

I agree with your last statement 

Won't be long now!

Any of you GCA fans that haven't been up here in awhile, there is a new road to bypass going thru Elizabethton.

Turn right at the light just past the Dodge/Ford dealership (Hwy 362 I think) and stay straight until road ends in Hampton.

About a 10-min drive...Then left and school will be on the right.

About a mile from the school you'll see that the median is already full of cars, meaning the parking lots are full.

Happy hiking  :roflolk: ....And safe travels to you all 

Won't be long now!

Any of you GCA fans that haven't been up here in awhile, there is a new road to bypass going thru Elizabethton.

Turn right at the light just past the Dodge/Ford dealership (Hwy 362 I think) and stay straight until road ends in Hampton.

About a 10-min drive...Then left and school will be on the right.

About a mile from the school you'll see that the median is already full of cars, meaning the parking lots are full.

Happy hiking :roflolk: ....And safe travels to you all

How many does that gym seat? And does the fire marshall ever close it down?

Around 1,300??

Should be that plus a few hundred more there tonight 

The answer to the last question is, "depends on what team you're pulling for"  :roflolk:

Honestly, once the rafters become packed with people, doors may close...But not before

.....and if I remember correctly, you can google Hampton High TN basketball and there are quiet a few pics showing how the gym is set up.....They don't build em this good anymore...Not a bad seat in the place 

.....and if I remember correctly, you can google Hampton High TN basketball and there are quiet a few pics showing how the gym is set up.....They don't build em this good anymore...Not a bad seat in the place

Clay Co sold 1500 seats in 1 hour. Fire marshal is already requireing every person including infants to have a ticket due to capacity limits.