Donovan Stewart's Class 2A Spring Top 10

Southtowner

assuming sources are correct jacobs gets a bump to administration creating a coaching opening.

Might want to check with your sources. Jacobs is only in his mid/upper 30's. I don't think he would give up coaching for an administration role. I could be wrong though, I've been wrong before. Just odd to me.

7 | Updated 3:11 p.m. CT May 4, 2017

635726647634450075-09-TSSAA-meeting.jpg

(Photo: HELEN COMER / File / DNJ)

29 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

Former University School of Jackson football coach Mickey Marley is returning to coaching.

Marley was hired this week as new head coach at Rosenwald Middle School.

“I’ve missed coaching football and working with young people,†Marley said. “And this is a good situation that allows me to do that while still being within close distance of my family.â€

Marley and his wife have two grandsons who live in Germantown. He said they’ve spent nearly every weekend of the past year going to the Memphis suburb to watch them play youth sports for 8- and 10-year-olds.

“I had offers to coach high school at some good programs in Florida and Mississippi and Alabama that I felt I needed to pass up on because I wanted to watch my grandkids grow up,†Marley said. “This situation allows us to continue to live in Jackson and let me coach, and we can go there on the weekends and watch them play football.â€

B9323073909Z.1_20160723174354_000_GK7F34

Mickey Marley helped with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes 7-on-7 camp at Trinity Christian Academy in 2016. (Photo: BRANDON SHIELDS / File / The Jackson Sun)

Marley said part of his purpose as the middle school coach in Trenton is to help develop the players for the varsity program at Peabody High School and is there to help Golden Tide coach Shane Jacobs and his staff.

“I’m ecstatic to have Coach Marley in Trenton coaching our kids because in my mind, since I moved up here, Coach Marley is West Tennessee football,†Jacobs said. “Coach Marley expressed to me he was willing to help us out however we needed as far as running offenses and defenses to get them prepared for when they get to high school.

“But I can tell you right now I don’t plan on ever sitting Mickey Marley down and telling him what I need from him. He’s a pro that can handle it himself.â€

Marley was the head coach at USJ for 27 years and won 245 games while leading the Bruins to five state championship games. This is the third consecutive year a former varsity coach in Jackson has taken a coaching job in Trenton. Former South Side coach Jason Driggers and his offensive coordinator, Jay Taylor, came to Trenton in 2015, and former North Side coach Tab Vowell made the move to Trenton in 2016.

Reach Brandon Shields at bjshields@jacksonsun.com or 731-425-9751 and on Twitter @JSEditorBrandon or Instagram at jacksonsunsports.