Springfield at Gallatin Week 1

JacketLover

Looking forward to going to the Wave Yard as the Yellow Jackets travel there to take on the Green Wave. This will be a tough match up for Springfield, in my opinion. I hope the Jackets can get the W, but coming out injury free would be a big plus. I like playing these old rivalry games, and playing tough schools helps get you ready for region play and potential tough playoff opponents. 

Did I say that I was glad football is back?! Let the fun begin. 

13 minutes ago, JacketLover said:

Looking forward to going to the Wave Yard as the Yellow Jackets travel there to take on the Green Wave. This will be a tough match up for Springfield, in my opinion. I hope the Jackets can get the W, but coming out injury free would be a big plus. I like playing these old rivalry games, and playing tough schools helps get you ready for region play and potential tough playoff opponents. 

Did I say that I was glad football is back?! Let the fun begin. 

I could not agree more!!  Love this old rivalry and the tradition of this game.  I have been steadily impressed by Coach Wilson since he has taken over the reigns at Springfield.  He appears to have the community behind him and the Yellow Jackets have been hard nosed since he took over the program.  I wish we could have opened up your new stadium with this game but oh well.  Who do y'all play in the jamboree?  Who should we look for on your team?  

• Upvote 1

We play your neighbors up Gallatin Road, Hendersonville. Look for number 23, Dayron "Fat Cat" Johnson, to be a playmaker on offense. I don't think that is a big secret, though. He is a junior that has been all region the last two years.  We have some new faces this year, so the Wave will have the experience edge. Number 8, Keith Jones, should be our tailback and he has ran well in our two scrimmages. 

The new stadium is nice, but I wish it had more seating. That is a story for another time though. We are glad to have it, but leaving Boyce Smith Field is bittersweet with all the tradition there. It's time to start new traditions at the new field. Here is a link to a story Fox 17 did about our new place Monday, http://bit.ly/2vHZJcu. Hope the link works. 

12 hours ago, JacketLover said:

We play your neighbors up Gallatin Road, Hendersonville. Look for number 23, Dayron "Fat Cat" Johnson, to be a playmaker on offense. I don't think that is a big secret, though. He is a junior that has been all region the last two years.  We have some new faces this year, so the Wave will have the experience edge. Number 8, Keith Jones, should be our tailback and he has ran well in our two scrimmages. 

The new stadium is nice, but I wish it had more seating. That is a story for another time though. We are glad to have it, but leaving Boyce Smith Field is bittersweet with all the tradition there. It's time to start new traditions at the new field. Here is a link to a story Fox 17 did about our new place Monday, http://bit.ly/2vHZJcu. Hope the link works. 

I will miss the old stadium.  I liked how it set with the neighborhood on the one end. It was very tight on the sidelines but you could feel every hit.  Those type of venues are few and far between these days.  But I understand progress.  

Hendersonville is a good test.  That wing-t is hard to defend and they always have a few playmakers.  

10 hours ago, PIONEERS12 said:

The old stadium was a great place to play.  Warren Co. and Springfield had some good games in the late 70's and early 80;s.  Good luck in you new stadium!

At that time Warren County was a powerhouse with your great RB Jeff Womack, who wound up the states all time leading rusher up until I believe Troy Flemming of BGA surpassed him. The series started in 1979 and ended in 1982 with WC winning 3 of the 4. Both teams were led by some outstanding coaches in SHS alumnus Jerry Pearson and WC Bobby Newby.Both coaches won state championships , Pearson at Dickson Co. and Newby at TPS. The old stadium was a special place with lots of history. I really liked Warren County's stadium also with its pit like atmosphere , at that time it was a tough place to get a win.

3 minutes ago, LEON said:

At that time Warren County was a powerhouse with your great RB Jeff Womack, who wound up the states all time leading rusher up until I believe Troy Flemming of BGA surpassed him. The series started in 1979 and ended in 1982 with WC winning 3 of the 4. Both teams were led by some outstanding coaches in SHS alumnus Jerry Pearson and WC Bobby Newby.Both coaches won state championships , Pearson at Dickson Co. and Newby at TPS. The old stadium was a special place with lots of history. I really liked Warren County's stadium also with its pit like atmosphere , at that time it was a tough place to get a win.

When Coach Newby was at TPS one of his assistant coaches was former SHS standout Ron Martin , who later was head coach at Smith Co. Until he passed away of cancer at the age of 34. His son Ronnie was a standout player for SHS on three of those teams that played WC in 79 ,80 and 81.Sorry to hear of Coach Newby's passing .

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

Springfield falls 8-6 to Hendersonville and Gallatin ties 13-13 with Franklin County.  Sounds like both teams have much needed work to do.  

Woah now, two unconvincing scrimmages versus two notoriously bad teams is much worse than losing a close game to Hendersonville. Not sure what's going on over there in Gallatin but that's why they're just scrimmages. 

24 minutes ago, MJGOLDENBEARS said:

Woah now, two unconvincing scrimmages versus two notoriously bad teams is much worse than losing a close game to Hendersonville. Not sure what's going on over there in Gallatin but that's why they're just scrimmages. 

Just trying to find much needed depth for the long season.  Penalties are an issue that does concern me though.