Overton, rebuilding or is it something else.

fb247

I agree Overton should be 4a or 5a comparing their population to a Mcgavock is not even on the same plain....For the most part I think they have been consistent at being a better metro school..  like Work said Jimmy's and Joes mean alot idk how much they have lost from last year but for a fall off like this I have to say they are young.  Is a change coming soon On Franklin Road ? Rumors have been brewing..

21 hours ago, workinprogress said:

Overton's population is not the same it once was. Its not even the same as it was ten maybe even five years ago. They still have enough athletes to compete most years. This year I think the youth is showing. They lost a lot of leadership from last year.

I still see lots of talent and good number of players on the field.

17 hours ago, TheSpoon said:

Overton has always sucked. Don't want to hear excuses that all other metro teams deal with. Demographics limit every metro school. You either get it done or you don't. People around Overton will tell you that they have too many me players. I say they have too many me coaches. Attitude is a reflection of leadership. Overton sucks.

This very well could be the reason.  

Overton has been able to compete with other top teams since the late 70's early 80's. They have won been to playoffs many more years than not, have won multiple district/region titles, and one state title in that time frame. Many good coaches walked the sidelines from Coutras, Mullican, Anderson, and Williams. Many good assistants as well from Steve Harris, Buddy Brown, Steve and Brad Peden, Fitzgerald, Campbell, Woodward, and Morrison. Overton has had several college players even some D1 kids. Don't know how anyone could reasonably say they have not been good.

As far as now, the three coaches I know on staff are all great men and coaches. None of the three are me coaches.

I have not gotten to see them play this year so I have no idea what they look like. Hopefully things will get going in the last part of the season.

On 9/20/2017 at 2:44 PM, TheSpoon said:

Overton has always sucked. Don't want to hear excuses that all other metro teams deal with. Demographics limit every metro school. You either get it done or you don't. People around Overton will tell you that they have too many me players. I say they have too many me coaches. Attitude is a reflection of leadership. Overton sucks.

Agree, usually I do not, with the spoon. Dark path, always, he has been on. However, seen with my on eyes this team, I have. Reasons, there are not, that winless, they are.                                                                                                      May the fork be with you.

• Like 1

Fork I have no idea what is going on over there. I am not close to the metro programs anymore and do not get to see them play unless its against a Rutherford or Wilson county school. Hope they can turn it around. Maybe they need some dining utensils over there and you and spoon can get them rolling again.

I too have heard rumors for a couple years now that change may be on the way. Maybe they will get a good coach to take a fork in the road and travel a little farther.

13 hours ago, workinprogress said:

Bleacher the year was 1960. The team went 0-8 in what I believe was their first year of play.

They might beat that this year even though their schedule gets easier here at the end.

They are 0-6 right now and have Cane Ridge next week which barring a major upset will be 0-7.

The following week they have Maplewood which is a game they will have a good chance at winning but Maplewood probably should have beat McGavock (they lost by a point) a team that beat Overton by 2 touchdowns last week.

Then they have Lavergne who is 1-5 but has the talent and could easily be 5-1 right now. They lost to Smyrna, Lebanon and McGavock by a combined 13 points. They have a QB and WR that put up big numbers. But penalties and turnovers. Smyrna beat them with a 40-yard touchdown on the last play of the game.

If they don't beat Maplewood then I can see them going 0-9 into that final week.

They have Antioch that final week and they should beat Antioch. I seen Antioch play this week and they didn't even look like a 6A team. They only had something like 30 players and no size up front aside from a player or two. They have the athletes though and can score on a big play or two.

While talking with a former high school football coach in both Dallas, TX and Houston, TX that moved to Nashville he could not believe that MNPS do not have a late/activities bus.  His rational was that the inner city kids of Nashville have no real public transportation system and there is not a late/activities bus to take kids home from athletics, band, clubs, etc... This equates to students not participating in any after school activities because they do not have any transportation home after practice.