Overton, rebuilding or is it something else.

fb247

CBG that would be great. However, while each school does have an activity bus, you still have to have a driver willing to give up even more of his or her own time for no pay. On top of that if you did find that person to give up his or her own time for one sport that person would hear complaints such as "you take home football players, why can't you take home soccer players too. While you are at it take home the volleyball players, cross country runner, cheerleaders, and band members. What once seemed like a good deed is now a headache.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cbg said:

While talking with a former high school football coach in both Dallas, TX and Houston, TX that moved to Nashville he could not believe that MNPS do not have a late/activities bus.  His rational was that the inner city kids of Nashville have no real public transportation system and there is not a late/activities bus to take kids home from athletics, band, clubs, etc... This equates to students not participating in any after school activities because they do not have any transportation home after practice.  

At most metro schools, the coaches provide many rides with their personal vehicles. 

4 hours ago, bleacher said:

At most metro schools, the coaches provide many rides with their personal vehicles. 

EVERY SINGLE AWAY GAME. I never had less than 5 players in my vehicle last year for every away game.

One game I had several more that would be considered illegal but they had no way home since their rides there had left them so they piled in.

It's great that coaches are driving kids around and spending their own money to help kids.  What the coach from Texas was getting at was he could not believe that there was not a coordinated transportation system within MNPS to get ALL STUDENTS to and from after school activities.  I told him "welcome to Metro Nashville Public Schools" and the great social experiment that continues after 40+ years.  

Having so many diverse international kids could lead to having a really good FG kicker.

On sort of a tangent, shouldn't a school like Glencliff dominate in soccer?  I mean unbeaten state champs kind of domination?  If they are lacking in American football due to a high number of international students, why would they not be incredible in the "other" football...a.k.a. soccer?

23 minutes ago, nrgrizzlies said:

Having so many diverse international kids could lead to having a really good FG kicker.

On sort of a tangent, shouldn't a school like Glencliff dominate in soccer?  I mean unbeaten state champs kind of domination?  If they are lacking in American football due to a high number of international students, why would they not be incredible in the "other" football...a.k.a. soccer?

I can't speak for Overton but I know in this area many of them don't play sports because the parents for a multitude of reasons.

8 hours ago, steelcityroller said:

I can't speak for Overton but I know in this area many of them don't play sports because the parents for a multitude of reasons.

I've known Hispanic kids over the years who played soccer at McGavock.  While McGavock is not Maryville or Oakland in (American) football they are decent most years.

I don't get why parents would be against kids playing soccer.   Fear of injury?  Health insurance issues?

54 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

I know a lot of kids work to help pay expenses for their families. Others stay at home to keep their younger siblings while mom or dad or both go to work.

Yep. Stuff like this in addition to the parents just not having the time or resources to arrange for transportation to all the practices and meetings.