Lipscomb Football

johnnymackbrown

1 hour ago, TTate said:

You're right.....Lipscomb was at 530....last year.  They graduated an abnormally large class last year and are now at 460ish.  Does that change the argument a little bit?  When setting the classes for 2017 and beyond one would think they would look at 2017 enrollment, not the previous year.  That would have had interesting ramifications for CPA who qualified to play down in ALL other sports by one student if memory serves......still doesn't make sense to me why they chose to play down.

I don't think enrollment has changed much at CPA...  I don't understand the playing down part since they played where told given size.  No teams played up that had not previously been able to offer financial aid to student athletes. Our football team has the same players as were on it last year minus the kids that graduated so it's not like there was a big influx of financial aided athletes. I think D2-AA will give CPA plenty of competition, just not via the middle division this year. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, bcd said:

I don't think enrollment has changed much at CPA...  I don't understand the playing down part since they played where told given size.  No teams played up that had not previously been able to offer financial aid to student athletes. Our football team has the same players as were on it last year minus the kids that graduated so it's not like there was a big influx of financial aided athletes. I think D2-AA will give CPA plenty of competition, just not via the middle division this year. 

You're right....bad choice of words on my end.  I think CPA is right where they need to be in Football.  But keep in mind, there are only two classes in all other sports.  You guys will absolutely dominate basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. with very few natural rivals, playing likes of DCA, Davidson Academy, Friendship, etc. That just doesn't seem very exciting from a fan standpoint.   You guys could certainly hang with BA, MBA, Ensworth, etc. in my opinion.....meant no disrespect to CPA.....really envious of what you guys have going on.

8 minutes ago, TTate said:

You're right....bad choice of words on my end.  I think CPA is right where they need to be in Football.  But keep in mind, there are only two classes in all other sports.  You guys will absolutely dominate basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. with very few natural rivals, playing likes of DCA, Davidson Academy, Friendship, etc. That just doesn't seem very exciting from a fan standpoint.   You guys could certainly hang with BA, MBA, Ensworth, etc. in my opinion.....meant no disrespect to CPA.....really envious of what you guys have going on.

You know, I did not realize that we would be in the lower classification for the other sports.  You're right, as a parent of an athlete that also plays baseball I was hoping we'd get a rematch with CAK... maybe they are in the lower also?  I wonder if you can play up in specific sports?  As you said, and I agree in baseball at least, we would be very competitive with any team in the state.  And this brings us full circle since our wonderful baseball coach played at Lipscomb :D

No disrespect taken at all BTW.  

everyone that is in DII-AA football is qualified for and in the lower or DII-A division in all other sports where they are suipposed to b.....except for the The Sword of Joshua Independent Full Gospel Pentecostal Assembly....who is over the 450 but was able to cut a deal with their T$$AA pals and get to play down below the number......Wrestlin and bowlin are all in one class for all DII schools.....Lowery, Maske and Master Head from St elmo christian made this thing smell like dead carp

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

11 minutes ago, Booger said:

everyone that is in DII-AA football is qualified for and in the lower or DII-A division in all other sports where they are suipposed to b.....except for the The Sword of Joshua Independent Full Gospel Pentecostal Assembly....who is over the 450 but was able to cut a deal with their T$$AA pals and get to play down below the number......Wrestlin and bowlin are all in one class for all DII schools.....Lowery, Maske and Master Head from St elmo christian made this thing smell like dead carp

Booger just sayin :mrgreen:

I've been looking at A and AA teams on the TSAA site and some of the comments I've seen since the D2 influx was forced make since now. In my ignorance I've been only looking at the football divisions. 

Not a lot of AA team compared to A...

2 hours ago, bcd said:

You know, I did not realize that we would be in the lower classification for the other sports.  You're right, as a parent of an athlete that also plays baseball I was hoping we'd get a rematch with CAK... maybe they are in the lower also?  I wonder if you can play up in specific sports?  As you said, and I agree in baseball at least, we would be very competitive with any team in the state.  And this brings us full circle since our wonderful baseball coach played at Lipscomb :D

No disrespect taken at all BTW.  

Larry is a quality guy for sure. He has built that program from the ground up.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:42 AM, tackle said:

Head coach is from Guntersville, AL.  Assistants-1 from Lipscomb, 2 from Indiana, 1 from Ripley, 1 from Ashland City,  1 from Page and 1 from Canton Ohio.  They all coached with Coach McCadams, so in that sense they are "from Lipscomb".  Last year, Coach Tillman was the region coach of the year.  I guess he forgot everything he knew then and the second tier coaches must have also forgotten all they used to know.  OR, it could be that losing 3 straight pretty good classes of players, with two small classes behind them and having up to 9 starters miss games with injuries has made for a pretty tough rebuilding job. 

By "from Lipscomb" I meant they are Lipscomb guys - not from California and not brought in by the University president.  Most of the coaches were there before the university president and the new headmaster.  And, most coached with the former head coach.

Having said that, it's been 8 years since Lipscomb made a deep run in the playoffs.  Region coach of the year, while nice, Is really irrelevant.  When is the last time they have even sniffed a gold ball like they used to contend for about every year?  Those "3 straight pretty good classes" didn't come close.  Now they won't come close to even a .500 season.

So, yes, I'll stand by my "second tier coaches" comments.  The offense they run is about as creative as piece of dry white toast.  They don't win the games they used to and they don't attract the players like they used to.  I'm sure the Lipscomb faithful hope the new facility starts reversing that trend, but you have to wonder if it's too late.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:57 AM, cbg said:

Would you be embellishing the truth because I may know more than you wish to discuss?  

Unfortunately the David Lipscomb campus has become California Liberal!  Nothing like when Athens Clay Pullias ran the campus with a conservative iron fist.  There is a reason that many people that are members of the CofC elect to send their children to other private schools in the Nashville area.

Please let me know what you think I've embellished?  I think I've pretty much pointed out facts.  But, we do agree on one thing... lots of people are sending their kids - especially the athletes - to other schools!

On 9/29/2017 at 8:26 PM, johnnymackbrown said:

Please let me know what you think I've embellished?  I think I've pretty much pointed out facts.  But, we do agree on one thing... lots of people are sending their kids - especially the athletes - to other schools!

Them Lipscomb fellers going to make a change after another disappointing season? Johnny remembers the glory days like it was yesterday. Shame they cant get it going again.

10223291-342415498_1-s1-v1.png?transparent=1&palette=1

3 hours ago, JohnnyRadcliff said:

Them Lipscomb fellers going to make a change after another disappointing season? Johnny remembers the glory days like it was yesterday. Shame they cant get it going again.

10223291-342415498_1-s1-v1.png?transparent=1&palette=1

Lipscomb can get it going again but success in D2 comes with a high price tag.  Head coaches, assistant coaches and facilities will cost big $$$$ if you want to attract the caliber of athletes it takes to win.  A prime example is how Father Ryan and Pope John Paul II have not been able to compete with MBA, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, etc... in D2 because they don't have a large enough check book!

11 hours ago, cbg said:

Lipscomb can get it going again but success in D2 comes with a high price tag.  Head coaches, assistant coaches and facilities will cost big $$$$ if you want to attract the caliber of athletes it takes to win.  A prime example is how Father Ryan and Pope John Paul II have not been able to compete with MBA, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, etc... in D2 because they don't have a large enough check book!

No way LA makes a change after this season IMO. They will cite playing in a new division, low SR numbers, injuries, etc. He makes it 1 more year at least. It really doesn't matter though. They can go hire Nick Saban but they just don't have any talent to compete at that level. They couldn't compete in DIIA for that matter. Unless LA is willing to invest big $$ in the program they will continue to be embarrassed. That loss to Goodpasture is really a gut punch to the program.