4a Poll

DevilMan03

Not sure Devil Man but the Mavericks should have more votes then Greeneville for the #1 spot. The Mavs are #2 scoring offense in all of the whole state of Tennessee and have been #1 and will be again soon. Greeneville is so overrated and it appears Crockett and Anderson County should be number# 1 and 2. But it appears the polls continue to over-hype the Green Devils. But thats ok it will soon come to an end, very quickly. The Mavs are one of the most underrated teams in the State. They return this year with some very experienced senior class-men; many of the Mav players have been playing since there freshmen year and many are hungry for revenge against Greeneville. 

5 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Not sure Devil Man but the Mavericks should have more votes then Greeneville for the #1 spot. The Mavs are #2 scoring offense in all of the whole state of Tennessee and have been #1 and will be again soon. Greeneville is so overrated and it appears Crockett and Anderson County should be number# 1 and 2. But it appears the polls continue to over-hype the Green Devils. But thats ok it will soon come to an end, very quickly. The Mavs are one of the most underrated teams in the State. They return this year with some very experienced senior class-men; many of the Mav players have been playing since there freshmen year and many are hungry for revenge against Greeneville. 

I think you meant  to say the Mavericks might be the most overrated team in the state.  The combined record of the 5 teams you have beat is 4 wins and 19 loses on the season. Those wins have came against Seymour, Brainerd, and Scott Co.  As Chris Carter likes to say "Come on Man"

Polls are useless.They can rank Greeneville out of the top 10 and I won't care.The only number that counts is in December.That's a long time away and a lot of good or bad things can happen to any team.Build the depth next week Devils and get everyone ready to step up.You never know when that one bad tssaa ref with a grudge might show up and toss a player deep in the playoffs.Not saying it would ever happen,it's best to be prepared:thumb:

7 hours ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Mavs, I know you and devilman have been ribbing each other, but come on man. You guys are good and obviously deserve to be ranked, but you have played absolutely no one. Scoring offense means nothing when you are doing it against teams that have combined for a total of 4 wins.

I have no dog in this fight, but I would actually argue that based on AP votes alone, you guys are overrated (not underrated), simply because you've not beaten a team with a pulse. I'd put AC at #5 right now, based on body of work; keep Greeneville and Crockett right where they are, but I think Haywood and Spring Hill are better than the Mavs.

My advice - Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Mavs, I know you and devilman have been ribbing each other, but come on man. You guys are good and obviously deserve to be ranked, but you have played absolutely no one. Scoring offense means nothing when you are doing it against teams that have combined for a total of 4 wins.

I have no dog in this fight, but I would actually argue that based on AP votes alone, you guys are overrated (not underrated), simply because you've not beaten a team with a pulse. I'd put AC at #5 right now, based on body of work; keep Greeneville and Crockett right where they are, but I think Haywood and Spring Hill are better than the Mavs.

My advice - Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

That'll have to be a big ole stick for him 

Ok guys you sure are not giving the Mavs no respect at all, Lord not even giving me any respect. I think the Mavs are earning respect every week they win. Greenville has had an opportunity to play teams that one can say are fairly good but the Mavs that are playing have no control over how good a team is or how unfortunate a team may be. All I am saying is give the Mavs a chance and some respect. They play and they are winning just as Greenville is. The Mavs each year they have a Great team are never given any respect and they prove many wrong. They have a list of upsets behind there belts of teams that we're so called great. So all I am asking is to have a little respect and quit swinging that big pessimist stick at the Mavs. LOL now this is all fun and games don't get mean guys LOL ;). I am just defending the Mavs. You can't be great by hiding pouting or being negative about your team if you have any reason to believe they are good.

Mavericksinflight how can you say Greeneville is overrated? Last year your senior class was juniors and Greeneville beat you by 48 points and they lost 5 starters. So with that said they returned there quarterback and all there receivers and most of there line! You can say whatever you want about the hand tssaa handed you in conference play but they don't schedule your non conference games. I hope we meet up in the playoffs and you can see for yourself that Greeneville is not overrated 

Edited by BigGreene11

46 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Ok guys you sure are not giving the Mavs no respect at all, Lord not even giving me any respect. I think the Mavs are earning respect every week they win. Greenville has had an opportunity to play teams that one can say are fairly good but the Mavs that are playing have no control over how good a team is or how unfortunate a team may be. All I am saying is give the Mavs a chance and some respect. They play and they are winning just as Greenville is. The Mavs each year they have a Great team are never given any respect and they prove many wrong. They have a list of upsets behind there belts of teams that we're so called great. So all I am asking is to have a little respect and quit swinging that big pessimist stick at the Mavs. LOL now this is all fun and games don't get mean guys LOL ;). I am just defending the Mavs. You can't be great by hiding pouting or being negative about your team if you have any reason to believe they are good.

I'm still not sure if your response is tongue and cheek, so forgive me if it is...

What part of "you guys are good and obviously deserve to be ranked" is disrespectful? You're right, you guys have very little control (for the most part) over how good your SOS is. All you can do is go out there, compete every week, and keep racking up Ws. However, there are other teams in your classification that have played better competition and won those games.

Can you at least see where most of us are coming from? What is wrong with saying that, IMO, AC should be at #5? That's not disrespectful at all, that's just me trying to be objective. It has everything to do with your SOS (which is currently ranked #46 out of 47 teams in 4A), not your record or your talent. Dissing AC would be me saying that they don't belong in the poll, or that they will lose in the first round in the playoffs, or that they are a fluke.

And I think there is something to be said for the speak softly/big stick mentality, especially for a team coming off of back-to-back 3-7 seasons.

Edited by osunut2

3 hours ago, osunut2 said:

I'm still not sure if your response is tongue and cheek, so forgive me if it is...

What part of "you guys are good and obviously deserve to be ranked" is disrespectful? You're right, you guys have very little control (for the most part) over how good your SOS is. All you can do is go out there, compete every week, and keep racking up Ws. However, there are other teams in your classification that have played better competition and won those games.

Can you at least see where most of us are coming from? What is wrong with saying that, IMO, AC should be at #5? That's not disrespectful at all, that's just me trying to be objective. It has everything to do with your SOS (which is currently ranked #46 out of 47 teams in 4A), not your record or your talent. Dissing AC would be me saying that they don't belong in the poll, or that they will lose in the first round in the playoffs, or that they are a fluke.

And I think there is something to be said for the speak softly/big stick mentality, especially for a team coming off of back-to-back 3-7 seasons.

Ok fair enough but to make judgement on the past is not necessary. It's a new year and a different team; more experienced for one thing. But to Judge a team on whom they have not had a chance to play such as a rated team is not really giving them a chance either. All I am saying hold off your ranking and criticism until you really have evidence one way or the other. Don't use the past that is really not fair. And if East Ridge is still ranked in a couple of weeks and we beat them will that be enough to realize that this season team is for real. If not I am not sure what it takes. I understand what each are saying but for real it's only an opinion for now both for me and for others. And I have lot of time on my hands too. LOL :) tounge and cheek LOL But I Believe and that's what counts for now! I have faith and if you are for your team I would hope you do the same!

29 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

Ok fair enough but to make judgement on the past is not necessary. It's a new year and a different team; more experienced for one thing. But to Judge a team on whom they have not had a chance to play such as a rated team is not really giving them a chance either. All I am saying hold off your ranking and criticism until you really have evidence one way or the other. Don't use the past that is really not fair. And if East Ridge is still ranked in a couple of weeks and we beat them will that be enough to realize that this season team is for real. If not I am not sure what it takes. I understand what each are saying but for real it's only an opinion for now both for me and for others. And I have lot of time on my hands too. LOL :) tounge and cheek LOL But I Believe and that's what counts for now! I have faith and if you are for your team I would hope you do the same!

Im starting to realize you don't know an avg team vs a really good team.  If you think East Ridge is a measuring stick in 4a then you dont know really good football. (take a look at who east ridge has beat and i hope you would beat them by 4 tds). They beat East Hamilton by 7 who got trounced by Ooltewah by 47 the same team Science Hill beat in Chattanooga by 27.  Your acting like the Mavs are the only team with more experience from a year ago. (I would hope they were better than 3-7 team last year that didnt make the play-offs)  You will not know how good the Mavs are until the 2nd round of the play-offs because you play NO ONE in the regular season ( stevie wonder could see that).  You play in the weakest 4a region in the state.This is the same Region that  went 0-4 last year in the 1st round of the play-offs.  Good Luck the rest of the year hope to see you in the quarters if you make it past Elizabethton 

47 minutes ago, Mavericksinflight said:

My opinion of AC has nothing to do with last year or any other year; I'm simply judging based on the results we've seen in 2017. The SOS metric measures the same thing - who have you played/beaten as of 9/19/17. We know that you guys can score points against 5 doormats, but I think everyone wants to see that offense (and defense) against better competition. 5-0 is nothing to sneeze at, but I know you guys have much larger aspirations, even beyond a perfect regular season. You want a gold ball, and rightfully so. You have confidence in your Mavs, and that is admirable. Like you said, any good fan is going to be a believer in their team. But what drives me nuts is when fans have difficulty removing their tinted glasses and looking at things somewhat objectively.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but the bottom line is that I don't even think that East Ridge is going to really test you guys. You guys are a good team, tops in your region, and I expect you to go 10-0. Good chance that you're going to get Elizabethton in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and that will probably be your first real test of the season.