Gerry Bertier's Top 10 for 3A

Gerry Bertier

It is October and the regular season is starting to wind down. Each team has played 6 or 7 games and we have an idea of what types of squads will be brought to the playoff table is November. Here is my first poll of 2017 for 3A. 

1. Alcoa- the Tornadoes may not be an F5 this year but they are still the team to beat in 3A. 

2. Pearl Cohn- I would put up the Firebirds schedule against any in 3A. Coach Brunetti and Co. look like a serious contender to return to Cookeville this December.

3. Austin-East- the Roadrunners are putting together a strong campaign and the only blemish on their 2017 slate so far was a close loss to Fulton. Roadrunners must take on the F5 if they want a shot at the gold ball.

4. Raleigh-Egypt- the Pharaohs are putting together a quality season in Memphis. They will have a tough playoff road against some quality region 7 squads if they want a chance to meet Pearl Cohn in the semis.

5. Covington- The Chargers are looking to return to Cookeville and will more than likely need to beat Milan, RE, and PC to do so. 

6. Fairview- the Yellow Jackets have two blemishes on the year but after 50-49 OT loss to Waverly they have shut out three opponents in a row including state ranked Greenbrier.  A showdown with PC looms in the quarters barring an upset.

7. Milan- the Bulldogs have three losses but all three will be playing into late November. You can never underestimate a Coach Morris led squad.

8. Red Bank- Lions seem to be the toughest 3A team in Chattanooga. If they play to potential, they will have a match up with Alcoa in the semis.

9. Giles Co.- the Bobcats have a Division 1 QB which can spell trouble for many HS defenses. Look for Coach O'Conner to have some November magic in Pulaski. They will need to beat both Fairview and PC on the road to get to the semis.

10. South Gibson- Hornets seem to always start strong but struggle come October. Is this the year they right the ship? We shall see.

Next Five Out- Johnson County, Bolivar, Kingston, Loudon, The Squatch

Look forward to some great discussion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What a difference a coach can make. Raleigh - Egypt was a doormat for years, then hired Major Wright as coach. He has built a team that is for real. If Covington is able to advance in the playoffs, they would be a tough match-up.  

I'm glad you recognized that Covington is doing pretty well this season. The AP voters have not picked up on us yet, with no mention in their 3A poll so far. But, it's a long season yet, and a long road to Cookeville (I do know the way, being a Tenn Tech alum).

Thanks for your poll. It's nice to have another perspective on the season. I really like the comments you added for each team.

1 hour ago, bcd said:

You know Gerry wanted to list CPA somewhere in there to piss some of you off!

I think Cheatham County is a sleeper to break the first 5 out list.  I know their schedule has been weak, but so has Johnson County, right?

Really tempted too. CPA in Pearl’s region would have been great. 

Great catch on Cheatham. Their out of region schedule has not been the greatest but I say they are top 15 for sure.