Class 1A AP Poll 10-23

TheAmbassador

1 minute ago, Southtowner said:

It's not so much a ranking but a rating.  But still.  

I also will say that I believe Coach Grider and his staff have the best staff in 1A. They have former head coaches and coordinators all over that staff. They are getting everything out of this team right now even though they aren't great athletically like we have seen in the past. The kids also seem to really play well together and will fight you until the end. 

3 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

I also will say that I believe Coach Grider and his staff have the best staff in 1A. They have former head coaches and coordinators all over that staff. They are getting everything out of this team right now even though they aren't great athletically like we have seen in the past. The kids also seem to really play well together and will fight you until the end. 

We have a great top notch staff.  The best in all the land.

34 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

I've been telling you. South Pittsburg isn't a great team this season. We held Whitwell on the 3 yard line at the end of the game to preserve that win. They also didn't have their QB that night. He's back now and is a two way starter. They will probably be favored if we see the rematch. We have a solid team with young men that play really hard. We don't have the athletes we have had during our run from 2007-2013. We don't even have the athletes we had in 2015-2016. We have a very young team with some nice athletes that are freshmen and sophomores. We have a freshmen QB that will be a great 1A player before he leaves, but right now he's a freshmen. They will be good very good one day, but as of right now I just think we're a solid 1A team. 

I haven't really commented much on the whitwell game but will say this, First whitwell should have never been on the 3 yard line they were stopped on the 4th and 2 earlier in the drive, second SP had many chances to make that game a three score game plus....yes I credit whitwells defense but also think we mis executed (especially the last 4th down). SPs line dominated the first three qtrs of the game.... yes whitwell is a good team With good skill players and probably has more speed than we do but SP had several chances to make it ugly.....whitwell and A chance to win it late and actually should have never been on the goal line. As far as the QB coming back I can see where it may benefit them and can also see where it may hurt them.  Sometimes you can want something so much that it becomes too much and mistakes can happen. 

2 minutes ago, oneyewilly said:

I haven't really commented much on the whitwell game but will say this, First whitwell should have never been on the 3 yard line they were stopped on the 4th and 2 earlier in the drive, second SP had many chances to make that game a three score game plus....yes I credit whitwells defense but also think we mis executed (especially the last 4th down). SPs line dominated the first three qtrs of the game.... yes whitwell is a good team With good skill players and probably has more speed than we do but SP had several chances to make it ugly.....whitwell and A chance to win it late and actually should have never been on the goal line. As far as the QB coming back I can see where it may benefit them and can also see where it may hurt them.  Sometimes you can want something so much that it becomes too much and mistakes can happen. 

I agree with what you have said. I'm just saying this team we have is nearly as talented as many of our past teams. We don't have the quick strike ability nearly as much as we've had in the past on offense. I believe our defense is pretty good and kicking game is solid. All in all we're just a solid 1A team. 

1 minute ago, TheAmbassador said:

I agree with what you have said. I'm just saying this team we have is nearly as talented as many of our past teams. We don't have the quick strike ability nearly as much as we've had in the past on offense. I believe our defense is pretty good and kicking game is solid. All in all we're just a solid 1A team. 

I agree with you..... I've thought all year that this team is missing that quick punch.... this team is also getting better and better each game, do I think we will have some up hill battles .....yes but also think we can play with and have an opportunity to beat anyone in the east

9 hours ago, Mustang1969 said:

How the heck does an 8-1 Whitwell have a higher ranking than undefeated South Pitt who beat them???

Evidently they must think Whitwell has played a much tougher schedule than South Pitt, especially with South P{itt  winning against them already .When the poll first started Lake Co was a 42 point underdog. Now it would only be 8 if LC played at Dresden and 5 at Tiptonville.

10 minutes ago, mrbigster said:

Evidently they must think Whitwell has played a much tougher schedule than South Pitt, especially with South P{itt  winning against them already .When the poll first started Lake Co was a 42 point underdog. Now it would only be 8 if LC played at Dresden and 5 at Tiptonville.

They played TC but SP played Dunlap.  We also stole Jasper's soul. 

2 hours ago, mrbigster said:

South Pittsburg strength of schedule is probably the reason they are lower than Whitwell. South Pittsburg opponents have a combined 29 wins to 72 losses. With only sequatchie county with 6 wins and Whitwell with 8 wins being the teams that have a about. 500 record.

31 minutes ago, Dallas7 said:

South Pittsburg strength of schedule is probably the reason they are lower than Whitwell. South Pittsburg opponents have a combined 29 wins to 72 losses. With only sequatchie county with 6 wins and Whitwell with 8 wins being the teams that have a about. 500 record.

I see that as well. I think it's not really a fair comparison. For instance.. SP has played Goodpasture and Lipscomb. They have 2 combined wins. However, if they were in a 1A region they would have won a lot more games. Marion County is another one. They have only won 4 games and will finish 5-5, but look who they have played. Case in point. This week SP plays Lookout Valley. They are 5-4 on the season, but if 1-8 Lipscomb, 1-8 Goodpasture, or 4-5 Marion played them they would all beat them by 40 plus points. 

14 hours ago, oneyewilly said:

Funny thing is we get to see the second time around. Coaches from Whitwell feel like they didn't play well on both sides. SP should be favored in the rematch. SP staff has the edge over Whitwell. Should be a fun one again.