White House Football

Devil21

52 minutes ago, GreenbrierCat2 said:

Why would you even start a post like this?  Old players, their dad, brother, sister, grandma, etc are gonna come and call their name or number because they have a user name and you have no way of knowing....and this IS a very subjective topic.  All in the matter of opinion, and in the cutting short the old phrase..everybody's got one.  

Agreed, but I love talking about White House football so I'm glad they started it!

I look at the teams that go deep in the playoffs. Teams with Ricky Ladd, Kyle Levering Sullins, Trox Greenwade, Paynes, Neal and Parker. I know a lot of the Greenwades numbers could have been doubled, but most of the games his junior year were over at halftime.  The one game that went to the wire in passing was Dekalb County before the playoffs in 2008. Greenwade ended up with over 300 passing and Parker with almost 200 receiving. Ricky Ladd and Levering were a similar duo when they had to play the whole game. Trent had great numbers, but the best teams have always had the best players. Most of the time the stats don’t show it due to the game being over at halftime. 

Also, shouldn’t we look at a player who is in most of the statistical categories? Who made an impact one special teams, defense, and offense etc..

Edited by Tennessee75

I think some people forget about that 04 team with levering, and the sullins, ricky, Cody harmon, west, mcdonald, weakley,  the list goes on. They were playing "up" in 4A and should have been a division lower as the very next year moved back down. White House had like a 15-17% decrease in enrollment, need 20% to get the exemption back down. Hard to say they wouldn't have won the state championship that year if they would have been where they were supposed to be. Beat greenbrier that year by like 2 touchdowns and they lost in the State Championship in 3A

I'll never forget watching that semi final game in melrose, but putting up over 50 points in quarterfinals and 49 in the first round of playoffs ...at home is unforgettable

Leloup - you were a great player on a great defense !! all facts.

Just out of curiosity, how does one quantify the "best ever" athlete to come out of such and such school?  Does one simply spit out a bunch of stats that may be as accurate as an armless one eyed man shooting down range at 400 meters with an open sight?  Does one include the intangibles, such as being coachable, having a keen nose for the football, a high football IQ, and so on?  More than likely, it is best to ask a coach that has coached at such and such school for a long period of time, and see what he has to say about who the best player to ever come out of said school.  My best friend (also BIL) has coached at the same southern Middle TN high school for 18 seasons as assistant coach,  he would answer that questions with 2 responses;  He'll tell you that the best ATHLETE he's ever coached is "Johnny B Goode".  He'd also answer that same question with; But the best FOOTBALL player I've ever coached is "Wiley Coyote".  I get why he'd answer it that way,  because I understand the difference.  These threads are fun to read, to some degree, but it is extremely subjective.  I can't remember how long Dewayne Dotson spent coaching at WH, but with an NFL background, he might be a good one to ask who the "best" athlete/football player is to come out of WH.  Who better to ask than someone who played at the highest level of football?  

I am not sure about the stats. I think Mcdaniel thats on the BDP Network keeps up with alot of them. There use to be something on the White House website but its not there anymore. The best team I remember at White House was my freshman year which lost in the Semifinals the year after the state championship win. We had Lanius our QB get hurt in the playoffs and thats what killed us but I believe that team was better than the state championship team. This is just my opinion of course but we were stacked that year! I could go on and on down the list of great players during that time. The late 90s and early 2000s were great years for White House football. I loved every minute of my time there and wouldn't change a thing. A lot of my friends mess with me for still keeping up with WH because it was so long ago but I absolutely love what the school and community gave to me and will never forget that. 

I have followed the teams over the years and we have had some very good teams. I was there the night the kids lost to Knox Catholic. We were clearly the better team but it just didn't work out that night. I was on the phone listening to the 04 team play Melrose. On the goal line basically trying to tie the game. It is phenomenal to be part of White House history and I am looking forward to watching these kids make history this year. The bracket sets up very well for them. If they go out and execute each week they could be in the state championship game which is nuts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LocoLupe said:

I am not sure about the stats. I think Mcdaniel thats on the BDP Network keeps up with alot of them. There use to be something on the White House website but its not there anymore. The best team I remember at White House was my freshman year which lost in the Semifinals the year after the state championship win. We had Lanius our QB get hurt in the playoffs and thats what killed us but I believe that team was better than the state championship team. This is just my opinion of course but we were stacked that year! I could go on and on down the list of great players during that time. The late 90s and early 2000s were great years for White House football. I loved every minute of my time there and wouldn't change a thing. A lot of my friends mess with me for still keeping up with WH because it was so long ago but I absolutely love what the school and community gave to me and will never forget that. 

I have followed the teams over the years and we have had some very good teams. I was there the night the kids lost to Knox Catholic. We were clearly the better team but it just didn't work out that night. I was on the phone listening to the 04 team play Melrose. On the goal line basically trying to tie the game. It is phenomenal to be part of White House history and I am looking forward to watching these kids make history this year. The bracket sets up very well for them. If they go out and execute each week they could be in the state championship game which is nuts

I still keep up with them and I graduated in 1990. First score I check every Friday night when I get home from McKenzie's football games.  Nothing wrong with being proud of where you went and what the program did for you.  I mean that is BDP, right?  Coach Porter and Coach Bennett were like fathers to me...especially Coach Bennett. He was my baseball coach for three years at WH and loved playing for him.  I played for Coach Porter my freshman year. My Mom thought Coach Bennett hung the moon.  

It'd be interesting to see those stats.    A friend of mine and I were talking today about good former WH players because he's a WH old timer.   He mentioned John Hall as one of the best QB's.  He said Carey Lafferty, Stanley Light, and other players from the years of the days the football field was behind the school now known as the Civic Center.   He said Light and Hall both went on to play for Vandy and WKU respectively.  I was around in those years but vaguely remembering they were the "greatest."    I guess it all depends on the players you remember.   

Edited by GreenbrierCat2