Region 1 all four teams lost-this must have been the weakest conference in 5A.

EASTFAN

17 hours ago, EASTFAN said:

I just have a hard time blaming 14 through 18 years old players. when they are only doing what the coaches tell them. Back when I played in high school and college, we would do tackling drills it until we got it right. The coaches would beat that softness out of you or you wouldn’t play. My main point is it starts at the top, if you have bad coaching the kids have no chances.

Nowadays if a coach tries to beat anything out of his players, he's going to get fired and arrested.

Not trying to be a dick, but y’all better get used to this happening. Region 2 beat up on each other all year mainly due to each team having multiple big injuries to key players. Obviously the biggest being our QB, South Doyle was banged up with Young missing some games, Sevier County had some injuries and a young QB trying to adjust. Point to be made is next year will be even worse. We get most of our team back including our QB who’s been hurt all year, SD returns Young and other key players, Sevier Co is young and talented. Who knows but I’d say next year also watch out for Carter to be back in the mix. Outside of maybe Tn High, Region 1 is not going to be able to compete come playoff time. Just stating facts.

12 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

Nowadays if a coach tries to beat anything out of his players, he's going to get fired and arrested.

Not to mention that TSSAA limits full tackling to so many minutes a day and you cant do full tackling consecutive days. You are allowed to butt up but not go to the ground. Doesn't matter how much you hit a dummy it isn't the same as taking a person to the ground.

4 hours ago, blazer1set said:

I couldn't agree more..    R1 was down this year but we're driving off a cliff next year.       I think Knoxville/etc. is just more serious about football.

There it is.  You have your answer.  Football is not important with test scores, new schools, improved academics, etc etc etc etc.  If you want a "serious" football program, you need good coaches and good facilities to attract talent, and a major source of outside income to keep all that rolling along.

Any Wash. Co. millionaires going to donate money only to a football program?  Nope.  R2 is more serious, for sure.  Region 1 could deal with Region 2 when it ended at Morristown/Cocke County, not anymore.

20 hours ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Not trying to be a dick, but y’all better get used to this happening. Region 2 beat up on each other all year mainly due to each team having multiple big injuries to key players. Obviously the biggest being our QB, South Doyle was banged up with Young missing some games, Sevier County had some injuries and a young QB trying to adjust. Point to be made is next year will be even worse. We get most of our team back including our QB who’s been hurt all year, SD returns Young and other key players, Sevier Co is young and talented. Who knows but I’d say next year also watch out for Carter to be back in the mix. Outside of maybe Tn High, Region 1 is not going to be able to compete come playoff time. Just stating facts.

Hey Bobcat09 .. you are OK .. we been worried about you .. thought you jumped off bridge after Fulton game ... hey glad you didnt .. take care !!!

On 11/5/2017 at 8:36 PM, EASTFAN said:

I just have a hard time blaming 14 through 18 years old players. when they are only doing what the coaches tell them. Back when I played in high school and college, we would do tackling drills it until we got it right. The coaches would beat that softness out of you or you wouldn’t play. My main point is it starts at the top, if you have bad coaching the kids have no chances.

Here is what is important in Region 1 in East TN.  Is the coach causing issues?  Are the kids behaving?  Will this cost us money? 

When was the last time you heard of a HS coach being fired for not winning in East TN?  I can remember Science Hill in 2009 (aside from the fact that thae.t coach had issues too) but other than that....?

W vs L isn't important.  Receiving phone calls and threatening administrators about a coach is.  School academic scores are.

4 hours ago, formerblazer said:

Here is what is important in Region 1 in East TN.  Is the coach causing issues?  Are the kids behaving?  Will this cost us money? 

When was the last time you heard of a HS coach being fired for not winning in East TN?  I can remember Science Hill in 2009 (aside from the fact that thae.t coach had issues too) but other than that....?

W vs L isn't important.  Receiving phone calls and threatening administrators about a coach is.  School academic scores are.

Volunteer fired Scott Rider 3 years ago for not winning in years and Sullivan Central showed their coach the door a couple of  years ago after years of futility.  Those are just off the top of my head.

Coaches in NET get longer to try to turn things around than in some other places, but they do get pushed out the door for losing.  Usually the coach is asked to resign to save face, but it does happen.  If a school is getting a new male principal and the coach has been losing, he should start updating his resume.

I think it's good that NET teams aren't so quick to point a finger at their coach and can him for a bad year or two.  This isn't college or the NFL.  These men are mostly schoolteachers who don't get to go out and recruit or draft their players or, in many cases, even hire their own assistants.

The teams who fire their coaches for not winning every year are the ones who can never build anything.

18 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

I think it's good that NET teams aren't so quick to point a finger at their coach and can him for a bad year or two.  This isn't college or the NFL.  These men are mostly schoolteachers who don't get to go out and recruit or draft their players or, in many cases, even hire their own assistants.

The teams who fire their coaches for not winning every year are the ones who can never build anything.

Bingo. Most of these guys are educators first and coaches second. The stakes are a obviously a lot different vs college/NFL.

16 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

Volunteer fired Scott Rider 3 years ago for not winning in years and Sullivan Central showed their coach the door a couple of  years ago after years of futility.  Those are just off the top of my head.

Coaches in NET get longer to try to turn things around than in some other places, but they do get pushed out the door for losing.  Usually the coach is asked to resign to save face, but it does happen.  If a school is getting a new male principal and the coach has been losing, he should start updating his resume.

Ah, apologies.  I thought the Volunteer and Central cases were more of "I'm tired of this, I don't want to be a head coach anymore." Type of deal.  I still sit on my main point that football is not important at the Central Office level to anyone in East TN.  The 4 City Schools in our area do get funding, but a big chunk of it is taken care of by outside sources.  That's great for those schools, but we can't have the same expectations at the other 20-30 county schools in the area.  It's also at a point where it's starting to get really blatant who can and can't compete with each other anymore.  That distance that DB, SH, Greeneville, and Elizabethon already have is just getting wider and wider.  The hopeful 1 out of 10 years to beat these teams is all that is really left for the counties.

Let's start making conferences based on the amount of funding given by a district and outside sources every single year.  Then let's see what everything would look like competition wise.