Catholic vs Oak Ridge: A Rivalry is Born

WilleTheWildcat

Not sure if it was addressed or not.

Oak Ridge runs a 3-4 defense. Although---at times---they bring a linebacker up on the line and a safety/corner up---effectively stacking 8 guys in the box. Normally---this would leave a defense susceptible to specific passes. But Oak Ridge is so fast that it offsets and masks perceived weaknesses. They also give up certain plays allowing an offense---particularly one that is explosive---to pick up chunks of yards. What this does is force an opposing offense to call plays they may not have considered to take advantage---and effectively keeping them from running what they are best at.

Catholic has played some quality teams---but every team on their schedule was all about offense. In every situation, Catholic's offense was having it's way with defenses that could not go toe to toe with them. Teams with an explosive offense tended to get into shoot-outs. And in a shoot-out, Catholic is going to win most of those games.

In addition to the psychological aspect, Catholic will have to contend with the field as well. The field is literally a mess. This effectively helps both defenses and hinders both offenses. I could be wrong---but I don't think this will be a high scoring affair---at least not like the Maryville or Soddy Daisy games (49-48 and 49-42). And last weeks Fulton/Catholic game had some things that only apply to that particular match-up and no others. So we can't go on scores. Doing the score comparison thing can be easily manipulated. Example---Soddy Daisy. Catholic's defense gave up 48 points to SD while Oak Ridge gave up only 7. There are mitigating circumstances that tend to get disregarded when comparing/contrasting that renders such an endeavor pointless.

Regarding the upcoming contest, both teams will be tested. But where Catholic has been able to have their way with most team's defenses, that just isn't the case Friday. This game will basically be decided by how well Catholic's defense does at shutting down Oak Ridge's passing game---rather than the other way around. I expect a lower scoring contest than what Catholic is used to---possibly even being a case where the winning team only puts up 21-28 points. It could even come down to extra points being the deciding factor. Whichever teams comes out on top though---they will have earned it methinks....   

14 hours ago, Eaglesfan00 said:

Fulton has or had kids from all over Knox. County at one time or another since they went on that 3 state title run. Alcoa has 2 Freshman from Carter, 1 kid that played at Fulton last yr. Your OR wild cats have a really good Freshman that be a special player in the next 3yrs that lives 1/2 mile from Clinton High School. He recruited/talked into going to OR by a coach at OR. There's several others that are zoned for Clinton and AC. OR kid is my lil cousin. So I know all about him. So OR isn't as clean of a program as you think.

19 minutes ago, atrisk said:

"Low life,underhanded, system cheating, full out recruiting Irish." I don't think your fellow Irish supporters would appreciate you defining the school and community in that fashion. I'm beginning to think you are not a Knox Catholic fan at all. 

Just using the adjectives that we are normally described with.... I guess you missed the sarcasm font. We've got thick skin anyway.

I've probably seen more Irish football games over the past 29 years than anybody and I'm afraid to count the basketball games.

Edited by IrishBBall

1 hour ago, JNewman said:

Not sure if it was addressed or not.

Oak Ridge runs a 3-4 defense. Although---at times---they bring a linebacker up on the line and a safety/corner up---effectively stacking 8 guys in the box. Normally---this would leave a defense susceptible to specific passes. But Oak Ridge is so fast that it offsets and masks perceived weaknesses. They also give up certain plays allowing an offense---particularly one that is explosive---to pick up chunks of yards. What this does is force an opposing offense to call plays they may not have considered to take advantage---and effectively keeping them from running what they are best at.

Catholic has played some quality teams---but every team on their schedule was all about offense. In every situation, Catholic's offense was having it's way with defenses that could not go toe to toe with them. Teams with an explosive offense tended to get into shoot-outs. And in a shoot-out, Catholic is going to win most of those games.

In addition to the psychological aspect, Catholic will have to contend with the field as well. The field is literally a mess. This effectively helps both defenses and hinders both offenses. I could be wrong---but I don't think this will be a high scoring affair---at least not like the Maryville or Soddy Daisy games (49-48 and 49-42). And last weeks Fulton/Catholic game had some things that only apply to that particular match-up and no others. So we can't go on scores. Doing the score comparison thing can be easily manipulated. Example---Soddy Daisy. Catholic's defense gave up 48 points to SD while Oak Ridge gave up only 7. There are mitigating circumstances that tend to get disregarded when comparing/contrasting that renders such an endeavor pointless.

Regarding the upcoming contest, both teams will be tested. But where Catholic has been able to have their way with most team's defenses, that just isn't the case Friday. This game will basically be decided by how well Catholic's defense does at shutting down Oak Ridge's passing game---rather than the other way around. I expect a lower scoring contest than what Catholic is used to---possibly even being a case where the winning team only puts up 21-28 points. It could even come down to extra points being the deciding factor. Whichever teams comes out on top though---they will have earned it methinks....   

Wow a really in depth and informative post! Congrats to you Sir. Pretty much hit Oak Ridge on the numbers. Refreshing to read real facts and not garbage.