Catholic vs Oak Ridge: A Rivalry is Born

WilleTheWildcat

2 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

No need to apologize at all.  Great information.  Catholic played McCallie the last few years so I know what they bring to the table with their size and basketball skills, Sounds like you guys will do just fine. The Irish will feel the sting of losing 5 very productive seniors as well but they do return 2 starters.  Trying to find an identity and replace one of the best players in school history in Luke Smith.  As for the game, I guess it'll be Catholic's size versus Oak Ridges speed.  I'm sure you guys size as well. Haven't seen many football games this year going by what I read on the T and the very little information the Sentinel prints outs.

Luke was very good and yeah, a kid of that calibur is always hard to replace. I'd like to see the Wildcats & Irish tip-off someday again- it has been awhile! As for on the grid-iron- I just hope we can make it a respectable game. That's all I ask for of our kids. They've already way exceeded everyone's expectations of them this year. I'd be lying though if I said this town isn't itching like he$# to get back to the state title game and bring home another championship to this community. It has been way too long. We blew our chance in 2005 when we shouldn't have. I do think the winner of this game could very well find themselves in Cookeville. I know our guys will give it everything they have for this city. It should be fun, I hope!

29 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Luke was very good and yeah, a kid of that calibur is always hard to replace. I'd like to see the Wildcats & Irish tip-off someday again- it has been awhile! As for on the grid-iron- I just hope we can make it a respectable game. That's all I ask for of our kids. They've already way exceeded everyone's expectations of them this year. I'd be lying though if I said this town isn't itching like he$# to get back to the state title game and bring home another championship to this community. It has been way too long. We blew our chance in 2005 when we shouldn't have. I do think the winner of this game could very well find themselves in Cookeville. I know our guys will give it everything they have for this city. It should be fun, I hope!

I agree  with you SS. My guts will be turning Friday but these players are true Wildcats and should never be doubted. RWR!

6 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Like I was saying in a post a few days ago I'd like to see Borchers & Mays have a go. Jack goes about 6'2-6'3 315-320 and plays very low to the ground. He's like a brick wall out there, and is strong as an ox. I think he could give Mays a run for his money. Unfortunately, they won't line up across from one another.

Love the way Borchers plays BUTTTT, Mays is a true 5 star bada$$. Money on Mays all day.  Mays will play great, but it's a team game. Most important Cat this week is Def. Coordinator Jeff Miner. He's called a great season so far. 

I look for the Cats D to be ready. 

2 hours ago, OR nole said:

Love the way Borchers plays BUTTTT, Mays is a true 5 star bada$$. Money on Mays all day.  Mays will play great, but it's a team game. Most important Cat this week is Def. Coordinator Jeff Miner. He's called a great season so far. 

I think if Oak Ridge takes it to #68 and gets him frustrated he may not finish the game . He has a serious problem controlling himself . He can be a great player if he learns how to be disciplined . 

On 11/11/2017 at 1:21 PM, SweetScience said:

A ton of talent in OR comes from the Scarboro Community. That's where 75% of our talent has come from(especially the last 40 years or so) and always has come from, except the years before desegregation took place. It's much like the Hall community in Alcoa. Frankly, we haven't ever had to recruit, because of that reason. I'll be waiting on a few of you to name some players you think weren't Oak Ridger's. 

Nobody gives Oldfield the respect it deserves!

Document?documentID=372

Edited by Red Rebels

15 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Not trying to disrespect South Doyle or Central but I believe you are correct the winner of this game probably plays in the state title game on November 30.  With Catholic moving back up to AAA it's possible that they could meet in the regionals.  It would have been great to watch these teams play last year. The last few years the've played each other in summer camps when both teams were missing key players due to football.

Edited by QSouth89

19 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I'm worried and I do hope we can keep it close. Our QB needs to play well and I think our offense will be the key to the game. It's a given that our defense will play well...but that won't be enough. I agree that the community is itching and that it's been way too long!

17 hours ago, OR nole said:

I agree...Mays is one of the best in the country! Miner is important, as is every coach, but I disagree totally on being the most important Cat...that will be Johnny Stewart. The defense will play well, as always, but if Johnny doesn't lead our offense to the best game they've played, it won't matter.  The defense alone won't win this game...it will take a great offensive game and a great game from the QB to win this one.

1 hour ago, catswild said:

I agree...Mays is one of the best in the country! Miner is important, as is every coach, but I disagree totally on being the most important Cat...that will be Johnny Stewart. The defense will play well, as always, but if Johnny doesn't lead our offense to the best game they've played, it won't matter.  The defense alone won't win this game...it will take a great offensive game and a great game from the QB to win this one.

I would think your offense will need to put up some points. We've averaged 50 points per game if you take out Eagles Landing and Brentwood. We were missing several big pieces of our offense in those games. I will be surprised if your defense can totally shut us down. We've got a good combination of power and speed running the ball and have 3 WRs that will be playing D1 football. If we can keep our penalties to a "reasonable" number, I feel very good about our chances BUT that's been easier said than done. We also need to come out focused on both sides of the ball and not lackadaisical like we did against Soddy- Daisy. Can't overlook anyone at this point of the year.

Edited by IrishBBall

4 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

I would think your offense will need to put up some points. We've averaged 50 points per game if you take out Eagles Landing and Brentwood. We were missing several big pieces of our offense in those games. I will be surprised if your defense can totally shut us down. We've got a good combination of power and speed running the ball and have 3 WRs that will be playing D1 football. If we can keep our penalties to a "reasonable" number, I feel very good about our chances BUT that's been easier said than done. We also need to come out focused on both sides of the ball and not lackadaisical like we did against Soddy- Daisy. Can't overlook anyone at this point of the year.

I hope your team will overlook our team. I hope your team thinks that OR can’t beat them, because that’s what most everyone thinks. I’m not sure our team can score enough to beat your team but that’s why we play the game. We’re going to find out. 

47 minutes ago, catswild said:

I hope your team will overlook our team. I hope your team thinks that OR can’t beat them, because that’s what most everyone thinks. I’m not sure our team can score enough to beat your team but that’s why we play the game. We’re going to find out. 

I'm nervous as shiiii all the way in Georgia the night before the game. I'm gonna be a wreck tomorrow!