Catholic vs Oak Ridge: A Rivalry is Born

WilleTheWildcat

17 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

On a serious note, if you are a Catholic fan and you think Oak Ridge is afraid of your players you are wishful thinking. We are Oak Ridge. Hate us but we will make you respect us.

I don't have a dog in this fight. I am picking Oak Ridge in this one!

Edited by Footballa
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

On a serious note, if you are a Catholic fan and you think Oak Ridge is afraid of your players you are wishful thinking. We are Oak Ridge. Hate us but we will make you respect us.

Agreed, I just hope everybody can keep their tempers in check and play a good game.

Like I was saying in a post a few days ago I'd like to see Borchers & Mays have a go. Jack goes about 6'2-6'3 315-320 and plays very low to the ground. He's like a brick wall out there, and is strong as an ox. I think he could give Mays a run for his money. Unfortunately, they won't line up across from one another.

Edited by SweetScience

1 hour ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

Who said anything about fear? Of the two teams Oak Ridge has more of a tradition and football history on its side.  I'm pretty sure the coaches and players at Catholic respect your program and they know all to well that the Wildcats won't be intimidated.  I don't think anyone at Catholic thinks you guys are afraid of the Irish.

7 minutes ago, QSouth89 said:

Who said anything about fear? Of the two teams Oak Ridge has more of a tradition and football history on its side.  I'm pretty sure the coaches and players at Catholic respect your program and they know all to well that the Wildcats won't be intimidated.  I don't think anyone at Catholic thinks you guys are afraid of the Irish.

The 2 Head Coaches go way back together, too! Matthews was Gaddis' QB on some of his really good Tullahoma teams years ago! I'm sure there's a lot of mutual respect there.

Edited by SweetScience

12 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

The 2 Head Coaches go way back together, too! Matthews was Gaddis' QB on some of his really good Tullahoma teams years ago! I'm sure there's a lot of mutual respect there.

SweetScience I'm use to you being on the hoops thread.  Whats the basketball Wildcats looking like this year? (I know its a football thread but its all sports) 

Edited by QSouth89

1 minute ago, QSouth89 said:

SweetScience I'm use to you being on the hoops thread.  Whats the Wildcats looking like this year? (I know its a football thread but its all sports) 

Q, I'm all over these boards from football to soccer even, to basketball, and baseball some! But, to answer your question.....The losses of Higgins, Tajion Jones, Bush and Gibson would hurt any team, but I think we have a good young nucleus of kids coming up. We will be a very guard oriented team. We won't have near the size and length we've had the past 3 or so years, but I think we will make up for that with great defense and guard play. Will we be as good as we have been the past 3 years? Probably not, that was some of the best basketball this town has ever seen and will be very hard to repeat the success those teams had. I went and watched us scrimmage a few weeks ago and we beat DB and tied McCallie at the end of regulation and they beat us by a bucket in a sudden death overtime. We led most of that game, but lost focus near the end and made a few critical turnovers, but as you know, hanging with a McCallie team at all is nothing to snuff at, because as you know they're always top notch. Our biggest post player will be Seth Caldwell who goes about 6'3. He hasn't played since he was a freshman, but he has a lot of skill. Herbert Booker will probably be our best scorer, and Lavert will be great at PG. I don't envision the kind of success we've had the past 3 or so years, but I think we have a outside chance to make it to state again with this group. Of course Maryville and especially Bearden with those studs they had coming back will be hard to beat! It should be fun to watch, though. Sorry for the long response, but once I get talking about OR basketball it's hard to shut me up lol

2 hours ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

I don't think QSouth or I would have that idea and we're the only 2 consistent Catholic posters. We have had a decided size advantage up front in most games but Brentwood and Eagle's Landing certainly whipped us all over the field. If we flip the lines up as we did last week maybe Mays and Borchers will be matched up some.

32 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Q, I'm all over these boards from football to soccer even, to basketball, and baseball some! But, to answer your question.....The losses of Higgins, Tajion Jones, Bush and Gibson would hurt any team, but I think we have a good young nucleus of kids coming up. We will be a very guard oriented team. We won't have near the size and length we've had the past 3 or so years, but I think we will make up for that with great defense and guard play. Will we be as good as we have been the past 3 years? Probably not, that was some of the best basketball this town has ever seen and will be very hard to repeat the success those teams had. I went and watched us scrimmage a few weeks ago and we beat DB and tied McCallie at the end of regulation and they beat us by a bucket in a sudden death overtime. We led most of that game, but lost focus near the end and made a few critical turnovers, but as you know, hanging with a McCallie team at all is nothing to snuff at, because as you know they're always top notch. Our biggest post player will be Seth Caldwell who goes about 6'3. He hasn't played since he was a freshman, but he has a lot of skill. Herbert Booker will probably be our best scorer, and Lavert will be great at PG. I don't envision the kind of success we've had the past 3 or so years, but I think we have a outside chance to make it to state again with this group. Of course Maryville and especially Bearden with those studs they had coming back will be hard to beat! It should be fun to watch, though. Sorry for the long response, but once I get talking about OR basketball it's hard to shut me up lol

No need to apologize at all.  Great information.  Catholic played McCallie the last few years so I know what they bring to the table with their size and basketball skills, Sounds like you guys will do just fine. The Irish will feel the sting of losing 5 very productive seniors as well but they do return 2 starters.  Trying to find an identity and replace one of the best players in school history in Luke Smith.  As for the game, I guess it'll be Catholic's size versus Oak Ridges speed.  I'm sure you guys size as well. Haven't seen many football games this year going by what I read on the T and the very little information the Sentinel prints outs.

Edited by QSouth89

Thanks for the basketball info SS. We will probably drop off a bit but Coach Green will get the most out of his talented young players. I believe Levert Smith will be one of the best PG in the state and Booker will be lit when the lights turn on. I know you, SI, Papa B and others will enjoy watching the boys and girls basketball teams this season. BTW, today is Jada Guinn birthday,

17 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

I don't think QSouth or I would have that idea and we're the only 2 consistent Catholic posters. We have had a decided size advantage up front in most games but Brentwood and Eagle's Landing certainly whipped us all over the field. If we flip the lines up as we did last week maybe Mays and Borchers will be matched up some.

I was just starting to get that feeling we weren't be respected and wanted to say something but if you feel I jumped the gun, then I take it back. I respect you IrishBBall but if you come to the game Friday and don't eat Big Ed's you are dead to me :D Kidding.

Oh, a Lady Wildcat BBall player named Golden received a scholarship offer this week and for the life of me, I can't remember anything about her. Can you fill me in? Thanks

1 hour ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

I was just starting to get that feeling we weren't be respected and wanted to say something but if you feel I jumped the gun, then I take it back. I respect you IrishBBall but if you come to the game Friday and don't eat Big Ed's you are dead to me :D Kidding.

Oh, a Lady Wildcat BBall player named Golden received a scholarship offer this week and for the life of me, I can't remember anything about her. Can you fill me in? Thanks

Easy to get left out on that roster. She signed with Queens which is a D2 school in Charlotte. Looking forward to seeing them play. Two of their girls played on my fall league team last year.