Da Haven

dannyq

9 hours ago, kwc said:

It was from what I was told. This wasn't done to normal scrimmage standards, It was conducted with real game-like conditions. No KO or punting. No rushing the kicker during XP either, just like in standard scrimmages. On O, no set number of plays. You either score or turn over on downs.

Starkville 24, Whitehaven 7

We were exposed in a number of areas. Nothing that can't be corrected and worked on. I'm so glad we played/scrimmaged Starkville. They are a legit contender for the state title in the large public school classification in Mississippi. Good work for us. Both teams have STUDS. The difference being execution. Whitehaven has work to do!  Now they know that they can't rely on the pre-season accolades that they are receiving. Working in new faces takes time for several reason. Execution is a product of team chemistry, cohesion, and trust in the guy lined up next to you. It's good to match-up against a team like Starkville in these types of situations.

I hope we make this a regular occurance.

Aww mayne, 24-7?!?!  No good

16 hours ago, BlackHavenSenator said:

Aww mayne, 24-7?!?!  No good

Yea, you read that correctly. I've been told the following:

On Defense:

We weren't overpowered or anything like that. The run defense did what it normally does. Bubble screens killed us on several different occassions. From what I was told, Starkville ran them to perfection. Their small quick receivers had excellent blocking from the WRs at the point of attack.  Really good execution. Also, a corner let a WR get behind him on 3rd and long or 4th and long, I not sure which, on another occassion. The corners that started last year weren't out there either for discipline reasons. Overall lack of pressure on the QB. The Starkville QB was poised and was not rushed to make decisions, and as a result, made good throws. He's good.

On Offense:

The O-line is developing. Run blocking is a work in progress. Working in some new guys. The same for pass blocking, work in progress. QB was rushed when trying to throw on a lot of occassions. There were issues getting the playmakers on the wings the ball. QB position and the O-line are the biggest concerns. QB missed a wide open Cormontae for a possible TD. Pocket presence and pocket awareness are a concern from the QB position. Both QBs got plenty of reps. Keveaon caught one and took it to the house on a deep ball. We have depth and talent at both the WR position and the RB position.

We have talent and studs all over the field. From what I've been told we have assignment and execution issues. Things that can be corrected.

Edited by kwc

13 hours ago, Fballfan1978 said:

Lol just a question it’ll just be good to see some of the state powerhouses play each other..

I know it was just a question. Just like my response was just a question. I don't know either way who asked whom, what, if anything. Also, I am in agreement. I'd love to see the powerhouse varsity teams play against each other.

However, I've been around long enough to understand the game, and powerhouses playing each other out of region, classification, division, or what have you, isn't quite that simple. It never is simple. As a matter of fact, it is usually more complex then it is simple. That's why teams tend to stick with what works and who they know. There are usually a vast amount of varying circumstances that most folks are unaware of. Beyond the obvious, like finding a common date that can accomodate both teams. That's not the hard part. That's the easy part. It's all of the OTHER stuff that makes it hard. It the other stuff that comes into play in most cases, that makes it where teams don't play.

However, I am glad that Whitehaven scrimmages MUS every summer right before the season starts. I'm also glad that the Whitehaven JV playes againsts CBHS JV, as well as, MUS JV during the school year. Those are quality match-ups that help both institutions down the road in one form or another.

So ... there is at least that.

Edited by kwc

I know this is a high school sports website but i'm going to post this Commercial Appeal article about Whitehaven's success in teaching the student body about how to get academic scholarships. Dr. Hunter and the staff have set the bar in this area recently. The athletics at Whitehaven use similar methods in assisting and teaching their student athletes what to do and how to be prepared to receive athletic scholarships. There is a method to the madness and Whitehaven has perfected it across the board. The article is below. Whitehaven ... keep doing what you guys are doing because you are doing it WELL!

Whitehaven's top grads credit school's staff, family atmosphere for their success

Ron Maxey, USA TODAY NETWORK - TennesseePublished 3:52 p.m. CT May 15, 2018 | Updated 5:59 p.m. CT May 15, 2018

scholarships

(Photo: Jim Weber/The Commercial Appeal)

A tradition of academic achievement at Whitehaven High School continues this year, with graduating seniors receiving millions of dollars' worth of scholarship offers from hundreds of colleges and universities.

Since Principal, Dr. Vincent J. Hunter launched Academic Signing Day several years ago to highlight classroom achievement, the school's seniors have raked in big bucks in scholarships from schools nationwide courting them. This year is no exception.

More: Shelby County education leaders rail against state for TNReady failures

More: Shelby County Schools' academic progress lags behind many urban districts, national test shows

More than half a dozen high achievers talked Tuesday about their success stories at the school, which the data website Niche has said ranks highly in SAT/ACT scores, state testing and enrollment in Advanced Placement classes, among other factors.

"I have to say I owe it all to the guidance counselors," said Sarolyn Fox, 18, who will attend the University of Tennessee at Martin. "If it weren't for them, I probably would never have applied to as many schools as I did.

Fox received $8.9 million in scholarship offers from about 200 schools — at least one school in each state.

Then there's Meaghen Jones, who leads the way with $10.7 million in offers from 213 schools.

"I'll just piggyback on what Sarolyn said," Jones added. "The counselors made sure we were part of the school's optional program, which boosted our GPAs and prepared us for the ACT and SAT."

Jones will attend Tennessee State University in Nashville, where she will be joined by another of Whitehaven's top achievers, Jayla Woods. Woods got $8.9 million in offers from about 160 schools.

"I have always wanted to attend an HBCU (historically black colleges and universities)," said Woods, who wants to be a sports dietitian. "I want to do a double major in nutrition and athletic training, and TSU will let me do that."

It's no accident that TSU came looking for Jones and Woods. The school has targeted high achievers like them as a way to improve the university's retention and graduation rates.

TSU President Glenda Glover also announced sweeping changes in 2016 to raise admission standards aimed at attracting the best and brightest students. And TSU's "Experience TSU" initiative sought out the top students from four specific markets — Memphis; Nashville; Birmingham, Alabama; and Atlanta. 

At Whitehaven, Alexis Nesbitt, Kassi Wallace, Jada Palmer and Ramesha James join Fox, Woods and Jones as top achievers.

All the students spoke of the family atmosphere, with generations of friends and family attending there, as part of the conducive learning environment that allowed them to achieve. 

"It's really personal to us," Hunter, the principal, told ABC News last year as the school's academic success gained national attention.

An alumnus of the school himself, Hunter noted that 32 staff members graduated from Whitehaven.

Woods, an only child, said her parents were an important factor in her success as well as the family environment at school.

Woods' parents, Vearnon and Jacquelyn Woods, are college graduates.

"They are the biggest influence in my life," Woods said. "They push me every step of the way to be successful in everything I undertake. So, I guess I am trying to follow in their footsteps to be the best person I can be."

Edited by kwc

On 5/11/2018 at 1:53 PM, kwc said:

I don't know how I overlooked this one. According to Woody Womack with Riv_als, , class of 2020 LB, Martavious French received an offer from the U of M. According to Martavious' Riv_als profile, at the time of this being posted, Martavious has eight (8) schools showing interest. Memphis, Arkansas, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Purdue, Vandy, Florida State, and Ole Miss.

Check Out Martavious' HUDL video of his sophomore season highlights.

Junior LB Martavious French has recently received an offer from LSU. His recruitment is really just starting to take off. This is the 2nd of many more to come for this young man.  Thats 9 schools showing interest with 2 offers so far.

The Martavious French train is starting to roll. The University of Mississippi is the next school to offer a scholarship to the Class of 2020 LB. Hotty Toddy!

Martavious recemtly received offers from Southern Miss, the University of Florida, the University of Cincinatti,  That's now 6 offers and 13 showing interest.

Edited by kwc

On 4/17/2018 at 8:59 AM, kwc said:

2020 LB, Bryson Eason, has another offer. The Bulldogs of Mississippi State have thrown their hat into the ring. Can you hear the cowbells ringing? That's twelve (12) showing interest with eleven (11) offers.

Bryson recently received offers from Cincinatti, Southern Miss, Minnesota, Louisiana Lafayette, and the University of FloridaThat's 17 showing interest and 16 offers to date.