Coach Morris is stepping down

SHHS87

2 hours ago, cofo said:

great post trader....you were spot on accurate....I don't know of any public school football coach in TN that coaches only...no teaching responsibilities.. and gets teacher pay plus coaching supplement....and I was in the business for 30 years...some are administrators...assistant principals like Alcoa's Coach Rankin for example.....but to coach only with no teaching or any other  responsibilities and make teacher pay plus coaching supplement?....I might be old school but I've never heard of it....

McNairy Central's coach Franks is probably the only one. He is also the head baseball coach down in Selmer and the AD. So I'm assuming he's an administrator. Can't image a baseball coach, a football coach, and an Athletic Director being a teacher on top of that.

This is odd, but I don't think Milan is that "valuable" of a job as it is compared to the past. Going .500 hurts, losing to Liberty in the playoffs hurts as well. In addition to that, you have a football stadium that is not on school property (yes, it's a few hundred yards away, but still), and the facilities probably aren't the best. No offense. Amazing and passionate fan base. However, if the school board is not willing to open up their checkbooks, then that practically means there is going to be a lack of support for the future coach. 

Think about this, I know USJ is a private school, and therefore, I doubt they release how much money teachers/coaches received based on salary because they are a private school. But USJ was able to bring in Rusty Bradley from Knoxville, and all the Knoxville people said it was a home run hire and that the Bruins will win a state title before the year 2020 if his offensive scheme works, which fits at USJ. In order for USJ to get Rusty Bradley, they had to pay the price. I guarantee you Rusty got a pay raise, in addition to that, he wanted things like a new play clock, upgrades to the practice field, and a new locker room (they added TV's and electronic gaming systems) for the players. They paid the price to get Rusty Bradley. Rusty knew the expectation is to win state championships at USJ, nothing less. Poor USJ, they got Rusty Bradley, did all these things to upgrade their facilities, only to see Rusty leave after year one. But USJ supported Rusty.

I don't know what to expect from Milan, but saying that you want a home run hire, and not doing whatever it takes to bring in the guy, sounds a little hypocritical. However, I don't think it's fair for a football coach to get paid significantly more than teachers, and not teach at all. I mean, do something in the offseason for once. High School football has a long offseason.

10 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

This is odd, but I don't think Milan is that "valuable" of a job as it is compared to the past. Going .500 hurts, losing to Liberty in the playoffs hurts as well. In addition to that, you have a football stadium that is not on school property (yes, it's a few hundred yards away, but still), and the facilities probably aren't the best. No offense. Amazing and passionate fan base. However, if the school board is not willing to open up their checkbooks, then that practically means there is going to be a lack of support for the future coach. 

Think about this, I know USJ is a private school, and therefore, I doubt they release how much money teachers/coaches received based on salary because they are a private school. But USJ was able to bring in Rusty Bradley from Knoxville, and all the Knoxville people said it was a home run hire and that the Bruins will win a state title before the year 2020 if his offensive scheme works, which fits at USJ. In order for USJ to get Rusty Bradley, they had to pay the price. I guarantee you Rusty got a pay raise, in addition to that, he wanted things like a new play clock, upgrades to the practice field, and a new locker room (they added TV's and electronic gaming systems) for the players. They paid the price to get Rusty Bradley. Rusty knew the expectation is to win state championships at USJ, nothing less. Poor USJ, they got Rusty Bradley, did all these things to upgrade their facilities, only to see Rusty leave after year one. But USJ supported Rusty.

I don't know what to expect from Milan, but saying that you want a home run hire, and not doing whatever it takes to bring in the guy, sounds a little hypocritical. However, I don't think it's fair for a football coach to get paid significantly more than teachers, and not teach at all. I mean, do something in the offseason for once. High School football has a long offseason.

Just to clarify, are you implying that Milan has not been doing anything in the offseason?  Or are you making a general statement about all coaches?

14 hours ago, RockyTop98 said:

I agree with you on a lot of things Trader. If you were pulling the trigger, who would you target?

I have no Idea who has applied (everyone), but there'd have to be one of the "monster" big names in the hat for me not to offer McConnell. There's a lot of variables involved with bringing in assistant coaches/coaches staying...with Morris just stepping away from football, I'd assume that the assistants would all stay, but McConnell would probably want to bring at least one or two with him that he knows. Make the situation comfortable for him, give him time and leeway to do it "his way", and Milan would be back to their heights soon. 

For those who say that Milan isn't a top job because of( ...insert reasons here), they have the intangibles that are hard and time consuming that have to be established to be a top tier program. Community support and tradition have to be built up in most places, but are established well already there. As for some of the "bad" losses...they're just bad because Milan is Milan in the first place. The Liberty loss was mentioned, but they played for a state title...not a bad loss unless you're expected to go to Cookeville every year.

Back to McConnell...he is relatively young, so prospectively would be there long term. He's offensive minded, and likes to spread the field. I firmly believe that this is the way to the future of HS football...the pass/run option doubles the responsibility of defenses, and the keys that determine the reaction of the defense. His defenses swarm to the ball...if one guy makes the tackle, ten are there to make sure, and his teams have always played and acted with discipline. No guarantees in life, but there's a lot of upside with McConnell.

2 hours ago, riverrat said:

Just to clarify, are you implying that Milan has not been doing anything in the offseason?  Or are you making a general statement about all coaches?

General statement about all coaches. I don't know why it takes High School 2+ months to choose a coach. Especially in this situation, Morris was going to retire anyway regardless of how far they were going in the playoffs, and I would assume the administration knew that prior to their loss at Covington. I don't know why it takes 2 months to figure out a head coach. Milan isn't the only school, there are many schools that takes this long for some reason.

My statement was towards coaches, because coaches are trying to get as much money as they can, without doing anything teaching related. I understand not teaching during the fall, but at least teach two classes during the spring. That's all. I'm not throwing a shot at Morris or anything like that.

This job search has been lengthy for only two men to have been offered.  MM isn't leaving because has one more really strong chance to make a run at a Gold Ball in 2A football in 2018.  I would venture to say that if JM had decided to step down after the 2018 season then MM would jump at the opportunity to be the coach at Milan beginning in 2019.  

Between the 2017 and 2018 seasons for MM to leave his current situation the offer would have had to have been really REALLY generous in terms of head coaching stipend, daily teaching schedule, number of coaches he could bring in with him, and their teaching schedule/availability during the school day.  

Between the 2018 and 2019 seasons I don't think it would be as difficult of a sell.  

20 minutes ago, RockyTop98 said:

Too much time has passed now. This search seems eerily similar to the Dresden search. My gut says they’ve swung for the fences, missed, and will soon be relegated to settling for an assistant currently on staff. 

Why go with gut feeling?  Just ask your connection on the committee and he will tell you what's going on. Just make some more phone calls. Not being sarcastic. Being 100% serious.