William blount offseason thread

1 hour ago, TheGuvna said:

I've been told the Govs will have a new defensive coordinator in 2018. I have not heard who it will be yet, but I have got to believe whoever it is will be an upgrade. 

By the numbers, the Govs were by far the worst defense in 6A in 2017. There's nowhere to go but up on that side of the ball.

Gov have you ever noticed how the JV team wins and plays a lot better than the varsity and a certain person isn't there at those games.  I believe there is nothing wrong at all with the staff and even in the JV game with Maryville those guys didn't just throw in the towel and give up, those coaches put some good drives together and they weren't being micro managed by anyone else. The defensive coach lost his job because his kid attends Maryville, it's that plain and simple and Shad didn't like it. Sometimes it can be a tough situation when your a kid and your dad is a teacher or a coach at that school.  I've already heard from reliable sources that two players are transferring out of there for pretty much the same reasons. Until the leadership there wants to take charge and grab the bull by the horns and do something about it then your looking at doing the same ole things again and expecting different results. There is no one out there that would love more to eat a big plate of crow than me and be totally wrong here but I don't see having to even have to think about it.  1-9 , here we come.

2 hours ago, TheGuvna said:

I've been told the Govs will have a new defensive coordinator in 2018. I have not heard who it will be yet, but I have got to believe whoever it is will be an upgrade. 

By the numbers, the Govs were by far the worst defense in 6A in 2017. There's nowhere to go but up on that side of the ball.

He has made them so bad anything will look BETTER!4 year plan!!LOL.

4 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Gov have you ever noticed how the JV team wins and plays a lot better than the varsity and a certain person isn't there at those games.  I believe there is nothing wrong at all with the staff and even in the JV game with Maryville those guys didn't just throw in the towel and give up, those coaches put some good drives together and they weren't being micro managed by anyone else. The defensive coach lost his job because his kid attends Maryville, it's that plain and simple and Shad didn't like it. Sometimes it can be a tough situation when your a kid and your dad is a teacher or a coach at that school.  I've already heard from reliable sources that two players are transferring out of there for pretty much the same reasons. Until the leadership there wants to take charge and grab the bull by the horns and do something about it then your looking at doing the same ole things again and expecting different results. There is no one out there that would love more to eat a big plate of crow than me and be totally wrong here but I don't see having to even have to think about it.  1-9 , here we come.

+1 Running off a great guy whose kid goes to another school has to help

Edited by strongx

9 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I heard a mass exodus...

16 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Barney,

We have already been over this. The departing D-coordinator was here before Shad. The defense was bad the whole time he was running it. Seriously... We did not put a single decent defense on the field the past 5 or 6 years he was here. Is that Shad's fault?

Shad runs the offense, which has been pretty solid for the most part. Having said that, they struggled last year until late because they were breaking in a freshman qb, but the offense started to look good by the end of the year. They racked up something like 500 yards against Bradley Central and dropped 50+ on Stone Memorial.

JV football is different than varsity football. Do we even need to discuss that? For starters, the jv team doesnt always play the same teams the varsity team does. Also, we did not have a true freshman team and sometimes played freshman teams which gave us an advantage. 

Edited by TheGuvna

1 hour ago, TheGuvna said:

Barney,

We have already been over this. The departing D-coordinator was here before Shad. The defense was bad the whole time he was running it. Seriously... We did not put a single decent defense on the field the past 5 or 6 years he was here. Is that Shad's fault?

Shad runs the offense, which has been pretty solid for the most part. Having said that, they struggled last year until late because they were breaking in a freshman qb, but the offense started to look good by the end of the year. They racked up something like 500 yards against Bradley Central and dropped 50+ on Stone Memorial.

JV football is different than varsity football. Do we even need to discuss that? For starters, the jv team doesnt always play the same teams the varsity team does. Also, we did not have a true freshman team and sometimes played freshman teams which gave us an advantage. 

I guess we'll just have to see what the Wampler's have to say about that on August 17th.

6 hours ago, TheGuvna said:

Barney,

Just more excuses for a bad coach!HE IS THE HEAD COACH!!!Regardless if he coaches O,D or special teams.If the D sucked as bad as you say he should have had control and ran him off.You act as if he no control over his team.The bottom line is the WHOLE team has gotten worse each year,cant hide the proof.Got an easier schedule and still tanked.It has to get better next year because it cannot get any worse.Then he will look like a football genius to the WB gurus.3 wins and he is back on track with the other WB greats,Gregory and Ridge-in a class of his own right now.

• Like 1