OAK RIDGE WILDCAT FOOTBALL 2018

WilleTheWildcat

Just FYI to everybody, the word is that the installation of the field turf is still due to start on June 2, immediately after graduation exercises are done and be ready for the August 24 home opener against Kingsport DB. At last check, they were still having issues with the State on the grant, but they are expected to be resolved in time for the June 2 start date. So we  are in a wait and see mode.  Hopefully it will move forward since the grass field took a beating the last three playoff games and would need some major work to be ready to play on by August 24.

Also, I think we have a chance to be pretty good this year, we have good people at skill positions, good young players who will contribute and could be very good by playoff time. There are some great games on the early schedule at home, Kingsport DB and Farragut, plus the last game of the season with Fulton coming here.  The Spring Practice I saw was good with some work to do yet in some areas, we will have new kickers and quarterback. There is a 7 on 7 at Maryville College in July and scrimmages with Maryville and Heritage in August. Home opener at Hardin Valley on Thursday with Packervision there, August 16 will be a tough test on Hardin Valley's new field turf.

16 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Also, I think we have a chance to be pretty good this year, we have good people at skill positions, good young players who will contribute and could be very good by playoff time. There are some great games on the early schedule at home, Kingsport DB and Farragut, plus the last game of the season with Fulton coming here.  The Spring Practice I saw was good with some work to do yet in some areas, we will have new kickers and quarterback. There is a 7 on 7 at Maryville College in July and scrimmages with Maryville and Heritage in August. Home opener at Hardin Valley on Thursday with Packervision there, August 16 will be a tough test on Hardin Valley's new field turf.

I’m glad we are scrimmaging again this year. I’ve heard talk that we would like to pick OR up for regular season game.  Be nice to drive 30 miles to OR instead of that long trip to Oakland. 

I don't know if we are ready for "Prime Time" RB87 but I'm sure they'd give their all if it works out and happens! Like Stars would say I don't know if our little ole skinny, weak, inexperienced players can stay on the field wif your stallions from Murvil. 

I have grown weary over the field turf issue but just a few days ago I saw an aerial shot of the new Knox. West field turf and gosh it looked so darn cool that I really want one for Blankenship. The added splash of color is something the old Ship is needing.. Maybe, Jordan will shake off what ever happened to him last season and return to his old self on field turf. He is bigger, stronger and faster this year. Sounds like the 6 Million Dollar man.

Ian, in the end, you are probably going to be right about turf fields. They sure do "look" nice though.

Oh, to everybody, last season the defense really came on strong and I was wondering how much was it because of the players or the scheme. Will we be able to just plug in new players and continue to roll along??? Kind of what Maryville has been doing for many years.

Thoughts???

One point on turf fields, the weather, as Coach Blade once told me, he said with the weather here it’s needed. I like a good grass field, but it has to be maintained week by week, especially in the rainy seasons, even UT has had issues with their field. Weather is why schools are going to it, not just because it’s a fad or looks nice.

Turfs just the first part of it, they are still raising money for the second stage, especially the replacement of the home side upper and lower bleachers, which are at the end of their useful time.  I do think they may need to consider capital funding for the bleachers because they really don’t need to wait on donations.

On 5/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, IanMackaye said:

Turf fields are overrated I’m surprised that Oak Ridge is resorting to keeping up with the Jones’s. I saw the meet results and that 4x100 lineup was Thompson, Goskowitz, Coleman,Graham. Thompson must have been the one I was talking about coming out of blocks.

I prefer grass BUT if you went down on the field after the playoff games you might feel different. It looks better from the stands than it does when you’re on it. It was embarrassing. I doubt anyone is trying to keep up with anybody.