Future Martin-Westview QB offered scholarship from Michigan

An 8th grader who will be a freshman in the fall, Ty  Simpson has received an offer from Harbaugh's Wolverines. Simpson who hasn't even taken a high school snap yet impressed Harbaugh with his skills and size at a camp in Nashville. Simspon is 6'1" 170 and has a great arm with accuracy to boot is also the son of UT Martin's head FB Coach Jason Simspon. It will be a very interesting next 4 years in Martin to say the least.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

the real problem here is offering an 8th grader. No disrespect to him, i have never seen him play. However, no 8th grader should ever receive a Division 1 offer in football. Football isn't like basketball, the body has to develop. What if the kid stops growing at 6'1? How many Power 5 qb's are 6'1 or shorter?? Just doesn't make any sense as far as I'm concerned. Good luck to the kid however, i hope he lives up to the hype

It's just an offer,nothing binding. It's more of a get your foot in the door first move.  We talked to you first,lol. As for a couple comment,he is already 6'1 odds are he might inch up a bit,still 14,15… and a kid that height has won a Heisman and even just picked #1 overall in the NFL draft..  if he's ready as a freshman and is the best QB on his roster,play him.

Don't like the fact that a 8th grader has an offer from Michigan and Kentucky without taking a high school snap on a Friday night. Putting a whole lot of pressure on a 14 year old kid. First of all, can you imagine the QB for Westview that is projecting to start at Quarterback in the fall, but will more than likely will not be the starting QB because there is a kid that hasn't played a snap at Westview yet.

Does the kid play baseball? I would think a kid that is 6'1 can be very efficient baseball player, assuming he pitches. Yes, baseball has injuries but none of them are head/brain/CTE injuries, more arm injuries. And you get paid a little bit more in baseball than you do in football. Just saying

20 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Don't like the fact that a 8th grader has an offer from Michigan and Kentucky without taking a high school snap on a Friday night. Putting a whole lot of pressure on a 14 year old kid. First of all, can you imagine the QB for Westview that is projecting to start at Quarterback in the fall, but will more than likely will not be the starting QB because there is a kid that hasn't played a snap at Westview yet.

Does the kid play baseball? I would think a kid that is 6'1 can be very efficient baseball player, assuming he pitches. Yes, baseball has injuries but none of them are head/brain/CTE injuries, more arm injuries. And you get paid a little bit more in baseball than you do in football. Just saying

He just had a target placed squarely on his chest too...eighteen year olds sometimes don't like thirteen year olds "upstaging" them. Maybe the kid does well and handling the pressure makes him better, but maybe he plays like a thirteen year old. Not fair for the young man to be anything other than a freshman playing for a spot.

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

He just had a target placed squarely on his chest too...eighteen year olds sometimes don't like thirteen year olds "upstaging" them. Maybe the kid does well and handling the pressure makes him better, but maybe he plays like a thirteen year old. Not fair for the young man to be anything other than a freshman playing for a spot.

True but it is also great for the kid. One of arguably hundreds of 8th graders who have been offered as an 8th grader. It puts a target on his back, but it also puts target on Westview, who has not been a good football team for the last two seasons. I believe the Westview players will treat him with great amount of respect. However, the opponents that Westview will play this fall understand that this kid, isn't just a normal 14 year old freshman. I wonder if Coach Simpson over at UTM had any thought of telling D-1 programs to hold off the offers, but I doubt he did. However, I believe the kid will be fine.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:13 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

True but it is also great for the kid. One of arguably hundreds of 8th graders who have been offered as an 8th grader. It puts a target on his back, but it also puts target on Westview, who has not been a good football team for the last two seasons. I believe the Westview players will treat him with great amount of respect. However, the opponents that Westview will play this fall understand that this kid, isn't just a normal 14 year old freshman. I wonder if Coach Simpson over at UTM had any thought of telling D-1 programs to hold off the offers, but I doubt he did. However, I believe the kid will be fine.

Didn't mean to imply that teammates would not accept him...bet that opposition will know his "status" though.

• 1 month later...