UC Golden Tornadoes VS Mayfield Cardinals August 17th at War Memorial

SImpleplan

6 hours ago, Manowar said:

I got to attend.  My unbiased opinion.  UC had the tables turned on them.  Usually it's the other team getting worn down.  Great game plan by Mayfield to sub, and keep defensive starters fresher for late in the game.  Mayfield had the Quickest scoring offense I've seen.  1-5 plays and they where in the end zone almost every drive.  I think they where only stopped on 1 drive all night, and if the receiver catches the ball that hit him in the hands in the red zone early on, they wouldn't have been stopped on any drive.  UC was successful for most part offensively, but Mayfield got a few stops especially late.  I felt Mayfield got shafted on UC lone score of 2nd half when they got the stop on 4th down, only for UC to get a 1st down on a penalty for hitting qb as he threw ball.  21 for UC a stud.  2, and 6 for Mayfield awesome as well.  Hope number 2 is ok.  I thought it was a bad call by Bowling to punt mid 4th down 1 Score.  If he goes for it and they get 1st down they had a chance to go down and score with little time left, and go for 2 and the win.  I don't care if it was a fairly long 4th down, and back close to endzone.  It was obvious they could not stop Mayfield and had to keep posession, I mean Mayfield ended up scoring 43, knelt down inside 10 1st and goal to end the game with 2 mins left so could have scored 50, and probably didn't have ball more than a quarter of the game that's how quick, and easily they was scoring, and you are going to give them the ball back when you are down to them a score?  I knew when they punted it was over. Good news for UC is I think the way they played is good enough to win out the rest of the year if they play that flawless offensively from here on out with no turnovers, and few penalties.  Doubt they play anyone with an offense like that, and with as much debth to wear them down.  If UC gets a couple stops, and up 2 scores I don't see them losing, they just couldn't quite get up that 2nd score to make Mayfield panic.  Good luck to both going forward, and hope they both get a gold ball.

You must not know much about the other teams in the state in 2a 

4 minutes ago, WarEagleCartman said:

I agree with a lot of his synopsis but yeah there are a few teams in 2A that can stop UC this year. I think as a whole 2A was down last couple years. But the teams are definitely trending up now. 

The only teams that came close to beating union city last year was Peabody and Tyner. When Peabody met union city for the first time we had a back up qb in and the second time we were using our 3rd string running back and missing a linebacker.  All due to injuries. I think if we can stay healthy we can beat union city.  

2 hours ago, Tide21 said:

The only teams that came close to beating union city last year was Peabody and Tyner. When Peabody met union city for the first time we had a back up qb in and the second time we were using our 3rd string running back and missing a linebacker.  All due to injuries. I think if we can stay healthy we can beat union city.  

Adamsville spanked us

Much MUCH better game for both teams this year! Credit to UC... I can see how they beat so many other teams with their offense! Soooo much better this year than last.

I do think the game was pretty even until the Tornadoes ran out of steam in the 4th. Though, Mayfield did change it's defense in the 4th, too... nose-guard! It helped a bunch as that UC center is a load!

I think UC is a well-coached team with some real talent. The back (21) dragged 2 of our best defenders 10 yards on that play that was whistled early.:o

The QB last year was good but I think this one is better. The handoffs / pulls were very well done.

More kids and depth and UC will be hard for anyone to stop. COMPLETELY different gameplan from Mayfield but obviously effective.

I hope these two teams keep playing each other. It's a great test and I think early in the season is good as both can use the experience to help keep winning state championships!

Kudos on a great game and best of luck for the rest of the season!

Edited by SImpleplan

1 hour ago, toinemac said:

On the Coach Bowling’s pregame radio show, he expressed a desire to see the series continue. I hope it keeps up. The junior leagues and middle schools play each other also. 

I hope we keep playing because it helps us both I think. I don't see Coach Bowling running from anything like Mayfield. He is having a hard time filling the schedule as it is. So as long as we can I think we will be playing the Cardinals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1