Heritage Mountaineers 2018

34 minutes ago, MLREB said:

Awesome picture - and I know them all. Many may or may not know, but Jack was in the national finals of the old pass - punt - and kick competition. I think the finals were held at half time of the Super Bow, but I my be mistaken. The Compton kid was one of the several Comptons that came out of Walland. They didn't come any tougher than those boys. The cheerleaders.....look almost the same today as they did back then. Love this picture. 

Punt, Pass, and Kick used to be a big deal back in the 1970's and early 1980's. I remember entering it at Alcoa High School one year. 

IMG_0332.JPG

I didn't go or have not even heard any reports from this game but I do know one of the parents that has a son on the team. They told me last night the team was down into the thirties and that even included freshmen. They said five or six quit after the Oak Ridge scrimmage which is alarming. I ask if it was the coach and they told me their son loved the coach but the team is loaded with soft lazy kids. I was also told by someone on the inside that 60 came out this spring and it was mentioned 20 of them had no business even trying to play because they didn't have a clue what was going on. I also drove through the campus last Tuesday and they only had 23 out for the middle school. It's a very sad situation and it only hurts the kids that tough it out and stay while the quitters all move on to the next easiest thing in life to do. Once a quitter always a quitter. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2018 at 6:34 AM, BarneySox2007 said:

I didn't go or have not even heard any reports from this game but I do know one of the parents that has a son on the team. They told me last night the team was down into the thirties and that even included freshmen. They said five or six quit after the Oak Ridge scrimmage which is alarming. I ask if it was the coach and they told me their son loved the coach but the team is loaded with soft lazy kids. I was also told by someone on the inside that 60 came out this spring and it was mentioned 20 of them had no business even trying to play because they didn't have a clue what was going on. I also drove through the campus last Tuesday and they only had 23 out for the middle school. It's a very sad situation and it only hurts the kids that tough it out and stay while the quitters all move on to the next easiest thing in life to do. Once a quitter always a quitter. 

Very frustrating to hear just to think a couple years ago we had one of our best seasons in a long time back to back playoff appearances and also a two game winning streak against our biggest rival its very frustrating to see that things seem to be going back to where it was to begin with

Edited by HHSMountaineers

11 hours ago, HHSMountaineers said:

Very frustrating to hear just to think a couple years ago we had one of our best seasons in a long time back to back playoff appearances and also a two game winning streak against our biggest rival its very frustrating to see that things seem to be going back to where it was to begin with

6A is tough. Big difference between 6A and 5A.  I also think refusing to play Alcoa hurt Heritage.  Its hard to teach kids to compete everyday with the adults in charge won't.

20 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The sad fact is there are 30 something players out there that want to win bad as any other team does. Football teaches kids a lot about life and those who stay are the ones to look up to no matter what their record turns out to be. The quitters will always be quitters. 

I agree. Way back in the day, my senior season had a lot of challenges and I learned more from that year than any other. A lot of guys didn't care to stick it out but that fact made it even more special for the ones who did. It says a lot about their character as well.