Heritage Mountaineers 2018

9 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

HHSFB10 I am the last person in the world that wants to see this happening. I have to many great memories of those teams that went into this school to see it in this condition today. Anyone my age or older will tell you this was a big mistake but it can't be reversed now. I do know Hammontree is a good coach but his personality is that of a rock and I'm sure that doesn't suit well with the ones that have left that program and went to Alcoa. Anytime they usually get a new coach out there it's always someone from away from here no one knows and it never works out. If I were the coach out there my first thing I would do is stop the bleed of players going to Alcoa anyway I had to. The next thing would be the feeder system. I don't blame either WB or Heritage for not playing Alcoa because I wouldn't want to get beat by a team using players that should by all rights be on Heritage. I also believe both Heritage and WB need to be in 5A due to circumstances. Enrollment is a poor guide alone to determine which class they should play in. Schools that have the money and short distances to get to school have a major impact as well on how many will or can play. Remember when those other schools were from small communities they had more out versus driving from 30 to 40 minutes away.

I’ll agree that heritage needs to be in 5a. The little success they’ve had recently was in 5a. I want to point out that you said you were sick of hearing the excuses of losing kids to the city schools, but you just identified that as a major issue that needs to be addressed? Also, you said that Heritage needs to stop the bleed of players going to Alcoa, but failed to mention Maryville who’s starting QB lives in Walland and drives past HHS every day. 

3 minutes ago, HHSFB10 said:

I’ll agree that heritage needs to be in 5a. The little success they’ve had recently was in 5a. I want to point out that you said you were sick of hearing the excuses of losing kids to the city schools, but you just identified that as a major issue that needs to be addressed? Also, you said that Heritage needs to stop the bleed of players going to Alcoa, but failed to mention Maryville who’s starting QB lives in Walland and drives past HHS every day. 

Losing players to Maryville is also a problem but not anything like Alcoa because of the Eagleton Area being so close and easier and faster to get there as to driving to Heritage. If Alcoa had tuition prices the same as Maryville this wouldn't be as bad a problem but when you can send a kid to school closer and pay $900.00 and get free breakfast and a state championship ring why not. The free breakfast offsets the tuition, what a recruiting tool. Far as a kid driving from Townsend to school sort of comes back to my remark that the coach has a personality like a rock and wouldn't talk to a parent if his life depended on it. His first year there he ran off half the team by alienating the entire group of parents so he fielded a 32 man team as the results. This man's PR skills would put Amazone out of business in six months. I can tell you no one at Maryville has any use for him or Rhea County either. I grant that he may have been what the doctor ordered for Heritage the first few years he was there but now I personally think it could be time for a new prescription. I hope I'm wrong.

41 minutes ago, HHSFB10 said:

I was at the Heritage vs. Maryville soccer scrimmage at MC last week. We were watching and chatting with a Heritage mother who said her daughter is supposed to go to William Blount, but she just likes Heritage better and thinks they have a better soccer program.

2 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

I was at the Heritage vs. Maryville soccer scrimmage at MC last week. We were watching and chatting with a Heritage mother who said her daughter is supposed to go to William Blount, but she just likes Heritage better and thinks they have a better soccer program.

I personally know a family that had a daughter that played basketball for WB two years ago and they live 3/4 of a mile from Heritage on a straight line and the rest of her sisters go to Heritage. Go figure.

13 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I'm just curious how a school that has 1,650 students in it has such a low turnout for football as I'm hearing from a few sources this year. The 10 thru 12 grades are turning out in the mid to high 30's of players this coming season. The schools that went into this consolidation alone always had more players out for football then this. Walland usually had in the mid 40's out, Porter usually had close to 40, Everett would have 45-50 and Townsend a school with only 125 students averaged about 22-25 a year except the last season when 18-19 played. Walland won the Single A State in 75 and Porter was also a Single A Power. Those communities had rich traditions in football but you would never know it by what you see now. I keep telling all my friends from Roane County this is what consolidation does and they will also reap for the day back in their lives if they move forward and put all their schools together. This was the worst mistake Blount County ever made.

14kzcyw.jpg

100% agree with you Barney, consolidation was the worst mistake Blount county ever made. The adults in charge at the time sold the souls of their communities and a lot of kids' best interests for a few pieces of silver.

Results speak for them themselves.

11 hours ago, HHSFB10 said:

So what should the county do? What’s the solution? 

Blount county population continues to grow at a crazy rate. Turn Lanier, Carpenters, Eagleton, etc into 1A and/or2A schools by combining them with the  schools already there.

This will reduce the population at Heritage and WB to acceptable levels and reestablish community connections with the schools

People are not going to stop moving to Blount County any time soon, we should be proactive with the solution.

1 minute ago, 32hammer said:

Blount county population continues to grow at a crazy rate. Turn Lanier, Carpenters, Eagleton, etc into 1A and/or2A schools by combining them with the  schools already there.

This will reduce the population at Heritage and WB to acceptable levels and reestablish community connections with the schools

People are not going to stop moving to Blount County any time soon, we should be proactive with the solution.

I have a real close inside with someone on the commision that told me not only did the county not have the money to do that but they came so ever close to default on the two they do have. Government takes jobs on who is the low bidder which we all know what the end results will be. Now we're paying the piper for those end results with money that could have been for that third school. Just a few years ago Jefferson County High Schools Building Trades roof completely collapsed during the summer when kids were out of school which would have ended in tragedy had school been going on. Long story short , that was the same building firm that built Heritage High.  It's not just the county, Maryville has an elementary school water pours in like Niagara Falls when it rains. Here is something they didn't teach all these educated idiots in college that make these stupid decisions.

2ynm8sx.jpg