Heritage Mountaineers 2018

While the head coach is a very good respected coach, I think it will take someone young and vibrant to have a chance to resurrect any good football at Heritage.  Someone with the time and enthusiasm to create enthusiasm all the way down to the youth teams.  And the administration will have to give this someone LOTS of support.  The culture will have to change with the youth and flow upward.  However, I don’t see HHS taking this path, and I worry that football may soon be extinct in what I believe is the most beautiful high school fall football setting in the state.

Edited by OldRebel2

1 hour ago, HHSFB10 said:

Another player was dismissed from the team too. Not to sure if Heritage will have a team by the end of the year. 

At the rate their going you might be right. That number includes freshmen as well. A Friend of mine that has a kid on the team said we are dealing with a new generation of kids that are soft and spoiled with many choices and choose the easiest way out. Common sense would tell anybody their in a situation out there that having to forfeit the season could be the only option. This is a very sad note for Heritage High since they put all that money into updating their stadium. Who would of known last spring they should of sent a wrecking ball to tear it down instead.

14 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

At the rate their going you might be right. That number includes freshmen as well. A Friend of mine that has a kid on the team said we are dealing with a new generation of kids that are soft and spoiled with many choices and choose the easiest way out. Common sense would tell anybody their in a situation out there that having to forfeit the season could be the only option. This is a very sad note for Heritage High since they put all that money into updating their stadium. Who would of known last spring they should of sent a wrecking ball to tear it down instead.

I think the biggest concern is just that. If they have to forfeit the entire season, the county may just come in and bulldoze everything. Idk if the school will ever have a football team again. 

1 minute ago, HHSFB10 said:

I think the biggest concern is just that. If they have to forfeit the entire season, the county may just come in and bulldoze everything. Idk if the school will ever have a football team again. 

If I were Robbie I would go to each boy that tried out for football going back to spring when they had 60 players out and  ask each why did you leave. From that I would make a decision on the future. Their best option now is to play JV games and forfeit the varsity because of the risk of getting young kids hurt that shouldn't be out there. You can't go out and get beat 75-0 every week and send 3 kids to the hospital each game.

22 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

If I were Robbie I would go to each boy that tried out for football going back to spring when they had 60 players out and  ask each why did you leave. From that I would make a decision on the future. Their best option now is to play JV games and forfeit the varsity because of the risk of getting young kids hurt that shouldn't be out there. You can't go out and get beat 75-0 every week and send 3 kids to the hospital each game.

You’re probably right, but if they only play jv the program will never be able to be rebuilt. Every parent who thought about sending their son to heritage will send them to one of the city schools, and at this point no one can blame them. Any kids who thought about coming back out never will. And the county will never take the steps needed to resurrect it. 

1 hour ago, HHSFB10 said:

You’re probably right, but if they only play jv the program will never be able to be rebuilt. Every parent who thought about sending their son to heritage will send them to one of the city schools, and at this point no one can blame them. Any kids who thought about coming back out never will. And the county will never take the steps needed to resurrect it. 

You could be right but my thoughts are to keep the program breathing and hopefully salvage something as to scrap and start from zero down the road. 

Let me say this, neither team could ever be an 7-8 win team consistently. They are both 10-15 minutes from the states most storied programs. However, I believe they could be consistent 5-6 win teams. With that being said, the administrations and leaders in the county school are to blame for the failures of both HHS and WB football programs. They simply give next to zero support to the programs. They are only concerned with lining their pockets with raises. The facilities are 40 years out of date and the stadium renovations were just a because they absolutely had to, due to them being unsound structurally. Heritage has wasted the best coaching staff they've had in the schools history (probably why their OC left for Maryville). I don't think Shad knew what he was getting into when he took the WB job. He was just looking for anyone to take him. The best thing for them to do is shut it down or to truly show some support with facility upgrades/financial support. A new coach won't fix the problems for either. Heritage won't get a better coach than Hammontree and WB won't get a better coach than Shadowens. 

5 minutes ago, HSfootballfanatic12 said:

Let me say this, neither team could ever be an 7-8 win team consistently. They are both 10-15 minutes from the states most storied programs. However, I believe they could be consistent 5-6 win teams. With that being said, the administrations and leaders in the county school are to blame for the failures of both HHS and WB football programs. They simply give next to zero support to the programs. They are only concerned with lining their pockets with raises. The facilities are 40 years out of date and the stadium renovations were just a because they absolutely had to, due to them being unsound structurally. Heritage has wasted the best coaching staff they've had in the schools history (probably why their OC left for Maryville). I don't think Shad knew what he was getting into when he took the WB job. He was just looking for anyone to take him. The best thing for them to do is shut it down or to truly show some support with facility upgrades/financial support. A new coach won't fix the problems for either. Heritage won't get a better coach than Hammontree and WB won't get a better coach than Shadowens

Maybe won't be better Xs and Os coaches, but that's not what the schools' need.  It might be impossible to do, but the only chance I see in long term survival is to find that someone who will try to build back the programs from the ground up.  They need someone who is a good "people person"...not just a coach.  Look at HHS wrestling program under Jerry Teaster.  He's changed the culture of the wresting program and is doing good things with it at HHS.

I don't like to get caught up in hearsay about numbers unless I actually see it for myself. I do live out by Heritage and while driving by they had 11 on 11 scrimaging and pretty sure there were at least 18 to 20 watching on the sidelines. Just hope things settle down from this point. Someone told me last week MJHS had 34 players out and two days later another told me they had 26 so I went by and they had 29. None of the numbers were what I wanted to hear but thank goodness it wasn't 26.

8 hours ago, HSfootballfanatic12 said:

WB won't get a better coach than Shadowens. 

Wrong. Shad is not a good coach. He has been exposed as a mediocre at best coach. What coach worth his salt cancels a whole week of practice the week of a winnable game when his team is winless? Shad *cough* Shad. His teams have gotten worse every year, and they are undisciplined and sloppy on the field.  I completely disagree with you... The right coach could make the difference at WB. Just look at what Meadows did when he was there. 

Edited by TheGuvna

12 minutes ago, TheGuvna said:

Wrong. Shad is not a good coach. He has been exposed as a mediocre at best coach. What coach worth his salt cancels a whole week of practice the week of a winnable game when his team is winless? Shad *cough* Shad. His teams have gotten worse every year, and they are undisciplined and sloppy on the field.  I completely disagree with you... The right coach could make the difference at WB. Just look at what Meadows did when he was there. 

25-20 if u don’t count the year he went on leave. I count that towards his record so 26-29...