Karns and Oak Ridge

bounder

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

He must be Devin's little bro? Karns always has some talent, but for some reason they just can't put it together and never have been able to. A guy like Bryson Rosser I bet could get things going there. They're kind of a sleeping giant. They always have very good basketball talent, so there is talent at that school. For what it's worth, I think their hoops coach is very mediocre. Give Aaron Green that Karns team that had Devin Sibley and they would've easily made the state tournament. 

They just don't have the jimmies and joes. They usually have one or two quality skill position guys, but year in and out, they get whipped in the trenches. 

Also explains why they usually have a decent bball squad. You only need a few standout players to be competitive. 

Edited by osunut2

11 hours ago, osunut2 said:

They just don't have the jimmies and joes. They usually have one or two quality skill position guys, but year in and out, they get whipped in the trenches. 

Also explains why they usually have a decent bball squad. You only need a few standout players to be competitive. 

Good points, Nut. 

Edited by SweetScience

I hope for a blowout but the Oak Ridge offense tends to be boom or bust sometimes.Last week 1st half was awful and if not for the defense and STs it would've been even worse.They got chewed out really good at halftime and the good offense showed up.Lets hope they start off that way and take the next step.This team has the talent to go to Cookeville but needs to start playing 4 qtrs of football and dominating.RWR

10 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Good points, Nut. 

I have wondered for years though why Karns hasn't been more competitive. Yes, they're landlocked by some pretty good programs (Powell, Bearden, West, HVA, GCA), but it isn't a dead/dying suburb like Halls. Plus, recent rezoning should give them advantage, now that everything west of Clinton Hwy, except for a portion of Pleasant Ridge, is zoned for Karns. Just seems like they need a quality coach to bring it all together.

38 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I have wondered for years though why Karns hasn't been more competitive. Yes, they're landlocked by some pretty good programs (Powell, Bearden, West, HVA, GCA), but it isn't a dead/dying suburb like Halls. Plus, recent rezoning should give them advantage, now that everything west of Clinton Hwy, except for a portion of Pleasant Ridge, is zoned for Karns. Just seems like they need a quality coach to bring it all together.

They also need coaches of other sports to stop preventing their athletes from playing football.  That's been an issue at Karns for decades.  

they al

2 hours ago, HTV said:

They also need coaches of other sports to stop preventing their athletes from playing football.  That's been an issue at Karns for decades.  

they al

Not saying that isn't the case, but I have seen some basketball players playing football and vice versa there through the years. I know Devin Harper played both, and I am pretty sure this Harper now does as well. I would say a huge problem there is just getting kids motivated enough to wanna play football. When you have that many years of awful football, why waste your time with it? Probably how the kids feel. Honestly, Gaddis would've been great for a team like Karns in his younger years. His speeches can fire up a dead man.

Edited by SweetScience

35 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Not saying that isn't the case, but I have seen some basketball players playing football and vice versa there through the years. I know Devin Harper played both, and I am pretty sure this Harper now does as well. I would say a huge problem there is just getting kids motivated enough to wanna play football. When you have that many years of awful football, why waste your time with it? Probably how the kids feel. Honestly, Gaddis would've been great for a team like Karns in his younger years. His speeches can fire up a dead man.

Yep.  Been a few basketball/football guys.   It's primarily baseball guys, and it's been that way for a long time,  And it's not just Karns.  Same situation at HVA, Bearden, and Farragut.  

21 minutes ago, HTV said:

Yep.  Been a few basketball/football guys.   It's primarily baseball guys, and it's been that way for a long time,  And it's not just Karns.  Same situation at HVA, Bearden, and Farragut.  

Yeah, long gone are the days when kids play multiple sports. Most of these sports you have to be dedicated to them the whole year for the most part, which doesn't leave much time for another sport.