6A Pre Playoff predictions

dannyq

15 hours ago, Laneman36 said:

In my opinion you can't be a 3A team and be the "Best in the State" when you are in Maryville's area. I feel like that is an excuse. They haven't been overly dominant as usual. Ooltewah tomorrow night will speak volumes to me about where they are as far as normality. Whitehaven I have seen/experienced in person and they are getting better as the year goes along, but they aren't who they normally are. I honestly can't speak to Oakland but I was impressed with them beating Blackman. Until you put your eyes to Germantown or Cane Ridge you in no way can call them Dark Horses. They are totally legit. I am waiting for the Whitehaven vs. Germantown game the winner could possibly be the State Champ unless Whitehaven runs into Cane Ridge again if they were make it that far. 

You haven't seen Alcoa.  (or Greeneville for that matter.)  Pick your top six 6A teams and setup a bracket with those two smaller schools.  I put even money on either of them to reach the title game and possibly win it.

4 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

You haven't seen Alcoa.  (or Greeneville for that matter.)  Pick your top six 6A teams and setup a bracket with those two smaller schools.  I put even money on either of them to reach the title game and possibly win it.

Oh that's where you are wrong my friend. I have watched Alcoa. I am truly a high school football enthusiast being that it is my passion. I don't just pay attention to one side of the state or another (hmm mmm). Because I will say that it is safe to say the FridayMainEvent has not and probably will not visit the western part of the state to see the talent. If you think Alcoa or Greenville could play with the likes of Germantown or Whitehaven.....heck even Central high school in Memphis this year. I would say it is time for you to gas your car or RV up and take a trip.  Now are there 3A teams in Memphis that could compete with Alcoa? Absolutely not! And that is because you have to truly know the lay of the land. There are so many high schools in Memphis that the athletes are spread except at the HAVEN where they stockpile talent because where they are located. Is there a 4A team in Memphis that could compete with Greenville? Again NO! Because of the same problem. When you are not in rural West TN you have cities where there is 1 to 3 high schools maybe. There are close to 30 high schools that play football in Memphis (which is too many). In Jackson TN there are 6 I believe (which is too many). Nashville has essentially the same problem. Talk to me about the problem Greenville has again with athletes being pulled for the school to go where? I'll wait. And Alcoa there are very few teams across the state that have those type of 3A numbers in players. The largest 3A school in Memphis MIGHT have 32 to 35 members (notice I said members and not players). So believe me I watch football across the state (the live streams) or go or coach against them in person. Alcoa and Greenville would have a hard time being Lausanne this year. Just being honest.

14 hours ago, GREYRIDERx said:

I think you under estimate the Rebels Sir. But you are entitled to your opinion.  

MARYVILLE never out "athletes" anyone but they certainly have a collection of GOLD that they have taken from fields that were full of them.  

Athletes will win you games , discipline,  good coaching and good football players will win you Championships. Jmo

You are correct we are all entitled to our opinion in my time of TN football (which might not be as long as yours) Maryville has struggled with athletically talented teams or are just as big as they are up front (would you not agree).  What has pulled them through more times than not has been the "trick play". Under GQ they were good for about 2 or 3 a game, and he seemed to have a nack for when to run them. Many times they were mere inches away from costing them the game.

So tonight will be a good test for them as far as trying to keep with athleticism again. Ooltewah just has to find a way to overcome the size different that will be obvious.

3 minutes ago, Laneman36 said:

You are correct we are all entitled to our opinion in my time of TN football (which might not be as long as yours) Maryville has struggled with athletically talented teams or are just as big as they are up front (would you not agree).  What has pulled them through more times than not has been the "trick play". Under GQ they were good for about 2 or 3 a game, and he seemed to have a nack for when to run them. Many times they were mere inches away from costing them the game.

So tonight will be a good test for them as far as trying to keep with athleticism again. Ooltewah just has to find a way to overcome the size different that will be obvious.

Maryville has struggled with athletically talented teams? is that why they’ve beat Oakland, Fulton, and Catholic this year and when they get to state they usually beat teams that are more athletic? go back to sleep.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mykidsdad said:

I do wish that Middle North could go east sometimes and Middle South could go west in the semi's. Then you would stand a better chance of getting a truer 1 vs 2 match-up in the championship.

I think you meant you wish Middle East could come West and Middle West could go East. When I think about that though it would only benefit one classification and that would be 3A.

37 minutes ago, madhatter2269 said:

Maryville has struggled with athletically talented teams? is that why they’ve beat Oakland, Fulton, and Catholic this year and when they get to state they usually beat teams that are more athletic? go back to sleep.

LOL....So your vision of athletic is Catholic? They barely beat Oakland (who runs the triple option and that scream "I don't think I have athletes") and it's the same story every year with Fulton they struggle with them early and there size wears them down. Listen you aren't talking to a rookie. They are not having a typical year period. I am not saying they aren't great program. If you really wanna read something into what I am saying understand I am actually giving them high praise. I just believe that 6A is more wide open then in previous years. I think next year it will be closed again to Whitehaven and Maryville because they are both young in some key spots. And that is a negative as far as the state championship. Name me the last team they beat in the state championship that was more athletic than them (and don't say Cane Ridge because they weren't).

Edited by Laneman36

34 minutes ago, madhatter2269 said:

You're right. You're more likely to beat/play with Maryville with a team with a similar makeup as Maryville... really well coached, with good hardworking kids, a la Ravenwood 2014/2015. But those teams don't come around all the time. 

5 minutes ago, vuau1989 said:

You're right. You're more likely to beat/play with Maryville with a team with a similar makeup as Maryville... really well coached, with good hardworking kids, a la Ravenwood 2014/2015. But those teams don't come around all the time. 

Ravenwood was loaded with Tennessee Titan coache's kids. One is at Florida. That team was loaded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vuau1989 said:

While I don't totally disagree with you. I will say that coaching is like raising kids. You give them all the right things to do before going on the field, but when they get out there that's another story. There is this false belief that the coaching is soooo great in East and Middle TN. There are good coaches that way, but there are also great coaches in Western part of the state as well. I watched the Powell vs. West game from last week. With all that talent at West and to have a 2-6 record I believe it is....I ask you is that great coaching. My point is that you can be the greatest coach in the world but athletes win games. Ask Urban and Nick.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Ravenwood was loaded with Tennessee Titan coache's kids. One is at Florida. That team was loaded.

He was from 2014 team that lost. 2015 team that won it had 3 kids total go play college ball. RB went to TSU and they had a junior offensive lineman that went to Duke, and their kicker went to kick somewhere. They were far from loaded.