Unaka vs Greenback ????

GBKEES

Does it not seem wrong to anyone else that Unaka is ban from post season play and will be playing a game this weekend??? While Greenback has another week off.  I understand the Careacter Bowl is for a good cause but don't believe that a team that is banned from postseason play should be able to participate.  Was shocked when I heard this on the radio this afternoon.

They received a postseason ban.  Not a SMU death penalty.  What's the difference in playing in this game tonight and the whole regular season they just played? 

Don't forget, Greenback was slotted for region 1 and petitioned the Association to move to region 2.  Greenback was allowed to move.  It left region 1 with only 4 teams.

I'm not saying Greenback is at fault but just pointing out some particulars. 

One can't gripe about being slotted for a region, get out of said region leaving it with only 4 teams then gripe about a team from that region forfeiting a playoff game to them and then the Association place 2 more years of a bye to a region 2 team.

Then gripe about this team playing in a bowl game.  

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

So have another honey bun. :)

Edited by Southtowner
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Tell em King!

The biggest reason we didn't want to go to that region. Is every game is so far away for both teams. Cloudland is 162 miles away almost 3 hours That takes away a lot of fans that would want to go. Where sunbright is about the furthers away at 63 miles. But it is what it is. 

Edited by GbMan

5 minutes ago, GbMan said:

The biggest reason we didn't want to go to that region. Is every game is so far away for both teams. Cloudland is 110miles away. That takes away a lot of fans that would want to go. Where sunbright is about the furthers away at 63 miles. But it is what it is. 

I understand that.  I'm not faulting Greenback for that decision. 

There's a rule in place that if a school doesn't want to participate in the playoff system they must notify the Association in writing in Oct before the new classification period.

Had Unaka done this back before this last reclassification period, what are the odds Greenback's petition would have been granted to them to leave region 1? 

I highly doubt it would have been granted.  The TSSAA isn't gonna put together a region of only 4 teams with 1 of those teams not participating in the playoff series.

That's why I say you can't have your cake and eat it too.  

The way I see it Unaka did yall a huge favor. Whether yall want to admit it or not.

3 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I understand that.  I'm not faulting Greenback for that decision. 

There's a rule in place that if a school doesn't want to participate in the playoff system they must notify the Association in writing in Oct before the new classification period.

Had Unaka done this back before this last reclassification period, what are the odds Greenback's petition would have been granted to them to leave region 1? 

I highly doubt it would have been granted.  The TSSAA isn't gonna put together a region of only 4 teams with 1 of those teams not participating in the playoff series.

That's why I say you can't have your cake and eat it too.  

The way I see it Unaka did yall a huge favor. Whether yall want to admit it or not.

Probably so just glad we don't have to travel to region 1. Plus just having those 4 in the region 1 sometimes it's hard for us to pick up games to fill in our season. But I'll just have a honey bun and be thankful. Glad unaka seniors got one more game! 

12 hours ago, GBKEES said:

Does it not seem wrong to anyone else that Unaka is ban from post season play and will be playing a game this weekend??? While Greenback has another week off.  I understand the Careacter Bowl is for a good cause but don't believe that a team that is banned from postseason play should be able to participate.  Was shocked when I heard this on the radio this afternoon.

The new Coach at Unaka is doing the best he can to build something up there at a place that traditionally doesnt care much for football. This game is an opportunity to do some good for the community and maybe help build that program up a bit. A good intersquad scrimmage would be better competition than yall playing Unaka anyway. So to answer your question NO it doesnt seem wrong to me. High School sports is about the kids and whats best for them to help them learn and grow. Whats best for Unakas kids right now is to play in this bowl game not to get wiped out by Greenback in the first round. Whats best for Greenback is not to get anyone hurt in a game that would be over 5 minutes into it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, old24eagle said:

The new Coach at Unaka is doing the best he can to build something up there at a place that traditionally doesnt care much for football. This game is an opportunity to do some good for the community and maybe help build that program up a bit. A good intersquad scrimmage would be better competition than yall playing Unaka anyway. So to answer your question NO it doesnt seem wrong to me. High School sports is about the kids and whats best for them to help them learn and grow. Whats best for Unakas kids right now is to play in this bowl game not to get wiped out by Greenback in the first round. Whats best for Greenback is not to get anyone hurt in a game that would be over 5 minutes into it.

I like your style OldEagle.

8 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I like your style OldEagle.

Just to clarify something South Towner Jellico wanted to move up to region one also Harriman was upset because they didn't get the opportunity to move to region one so it wasn't like we left them high and dry there were other teams petitioning to get to go to region one so they can make the playoffs we just stepped out of their way and said go for it! We weren't being greedy we were just being gentlemen!

7 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Just to clarify something South Towner Jellico wanted to move up to region one also Harriman was upset because they didn't get the opportunity to move to region one so it wasn't like we left them high and dry there were other teams petitioning to get to go to region one so they can make the playoffs we just stepped out of their way and said go for it! We weren't being greedy we were just being gentlemen!

C'mon, I know you and uknoit are lining your pockets :lol: