Lebanon Coach Gentry to Smith Co.?

birddogg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys need to understand that this is just MY PERSONAL opinion!  I would want to coach against the very best and play in the very best division.  There is a big difference between the small school classifications and the large school classifications due to a larger coaching staff and two platoon football at most of the larger schools.  While it's not the life that some would want to have I personally would be trying to make the jump from high school head coach to a college assistant coach.  Again it's not for everyone but I like to be challenged each and every day.  

32 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Money ain't everything..............If it was they would be doing something besides being a HS  football.

Tell that to the D2AAA head coaches!  It's my understanding that everyone of them make $125,000.00+

Someone on this board provided proof from the IRS that Ricky Bowers (Ensworth) made over $600,000.00 when he was the athletic director, head football coach and head basketball coach.  

18 minutes ago, cbg said:

Tell that to the D2AAA head coaches!  It's my understanding that everyone of them make $125,000.00+

Someone on this board provided proof from the IRS that Ricky Bowers (Ensworth) made over $600,000.00 when he was the athletic director, head football coach and head basketball coach.  

True.......but how many of them are there?? .........And how many simply coach at lil ole Podunk HS because it's what they do.

16 minutes ago, Reynard said:

True.......but how many of them are there?? .........And how many simply coach at lil ole Podunk HS because it's what they do.

Go to Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc... some of the larger high school football states.  Most all of there major jobs pay well over $100,000.00 per year and at most of them you do not have a teaching assignment.  Simply put the teachers pay and coaches pay in Tennessee are well behind most other states.  Due to oil money you can may excellent money in some of the rural schools.  Just like in business if you want to make the big bucks and coach in high school you will probably have to relocate multiple time throughout your career.  It's not the type of sacrifice many people want to make.

Edited by cbg

Coach Gentry's ties to Smith Co are pretty deep. I did hear he talked to the administration. Obviously they didn't convince him to come back. He has a kid thats close to high school age so maybe thats why he even sat down with SC. But I think he must be pretty happy at Lebanon. If you told me 2 years ago that he would be offered the SC job I would of told you he was a lock to take it. Things change pretty fast when you win. 

7 hours ago, LawandOrder said:

All I can say is that the coach Gentry has turned Lebanon around.  I wish him best in whatever he decides to do.

One year doesn’t mean it’s a turn around. Talk to me in 3-5 years. Lebanon will be the same old Lebanon we've know for the last decade. Gentry may be a good coach, but let’s be honest... Lebanon overachieved and will be back to the cellar next year. Let’s not offer him the world. He won some games with athletes that they should win. You people are silly if you think Lebanon is really that different because they win a few games.  Let’s all get off the Lebanon bandwagon and realize they really weren’t that good. They played a lot of terrible teams in a bad region.  

14 hours ago, eers said:

One year doesn’t mean it’s a turn around. Talk to me in 3-5 years. Lebanon will be the same old Lebanon we've know for the last decade. Gentry may be a good coach, but let’s be honest... Lebanon overachieved and will be back to the cellar next year. Let’s not offer him the world. He won some games with athletes that they should win. You people are silly if you think Lebanon is really that different because they win a few games.  Let’s all get off the Lebanon bandwagon and realize they really weren’t that good. They played a lot of terrible teams in a bad region.  

You expect a good coach to get the most out of what they have, I've know Coach G  and most of his staff for many years, That's what they do, they get the most of what they have, You play the kids you have, generate interest in the community and get more kids interested in playing, At a public school that's all you can do. And play whoever is on your schedule.  Kinda sounds like Lebanon and Coach G hurt you feels this year ,LOL   Those same athletes were there before he got there and weren't winning, were they?  

2015 and 2016 = 4-18 record    2017 and 18 = 13-9 record....... "let's be honest"  your silly if you DONT think Lebanon is really that different. 

44 minutes ago, Reynard said:

You expect a good coach to get the most out of what they have, I've know Coach G  and most of his staff for many years, That's what they do, they get the most of what they have, You play the kids you have, generate interest in the community and get more kids interested in playing, At a public school that's all you can do. And play whoever is on your schedule.  Kinda sounds like Lebanon and Coach G hurt you feels this year ,LOL   Those same athletes were there before he got there and weren't winning, were they?  

2015 and 2016 = 4-18 record    2017 and 18 = 13-9 record....... "let's be honest"  your silly if you DONT think Lebanon is really that different. 

The culture has definitely been undergoing a change.  The fans look generally excited and winning is up.  Gallatin has scrimmaged them twice since he took over and the atmosphere has changed.  

21 hours ago, Reynard said:

I have ZERO ill will toward Lebanon or anyone on the staff.  I just don't think you can say it's turned around just yet.  Is it better?  Absolutely.  I will not disagree with that at all, but I just don't think you can call it a turn around based on one good year.

2017 5-6

2018 8-3

One good year.  Again, don't get me wrong, I would be excited if I were a Lebanon fan.  I guess I'm just a little skeptical.