Scott Tillman out at Lipscomb

fredjones

30 minutes ago, cbg said:

How do the schools that are a members of the National Prep School league compete against the public schools on the East Coast and across the USA?  Maybe the private schools could join the National Prep School league?  Let's be honest and say what everyone knows; the public schools in Tennessee really don't want to play any of the private schools with great athletic programs.

Let's be honest. There are a bunch of private schools that don't want to play any of the  privates  with  great athletic programs. You are one of them. You are the  reason for the middle division in D2 football. Your AD was trying to keep you from them.

38 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Let's be honest. There are a bunch of private schools that don't want to play any of the  privates  with  great athletic programs. You are one of them. You are the  reason for the middle division in D2 football. Your AD was trying to keep you from them.

Big boy you have me confused with someone else.  My philosophy is and always has been that I want to play and be one of the best teams in the country.  The main problem that I have is that very few schools and individuals share my philosophy.

BTW; while Willard Collins was a very fine man but he didn't run David Lipscomb with an iron fist like Athens Clay Pullias and neither of them had the chrisma of Bro Ira North. 

Edited by cbg

3 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

What I said was it is not just publics that don't want to play the great private athletic programs. Quite a few privates (Lipscomb, CPA, Webb, BGA to name a few) did not want any part of that division and did what ever they  had to in order to stay away. Fudging enrollment was just the tip of the  iceberg.

I truly don't know anything about schools fudging enrollments other than what I have heard.  If schools have been fudging numbers they will have to live with the consequences.  Now what I have heard is that some private schools have controlled or limited the enrollment numbers to remain in a lower division.

7 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

You have already entered the "talent acquisition" game. LA is not driving up to Gallatin everyday for the  scenery.

I bet Lipscomb’s school bus driver is excellent at talent acquisition.   Ha!!   Seriously?  Being in the “talent attraction” game is okay per the TSSAA but the “talent acquisition” game is a little different in my book.  I simply hope that Lipscomb continues to honor the rules as they always have.  Lipscomb has not played in the targeted talent acquisition game like some of the other privates around town.  There is a difference.  

6 hours ago, KnightofTruth said:

So what is the answer?  I see a lot of back and forth on here about the problems but no solutions.  Will the new AD be allowed to run the programs or will that person be merely a puppet?  Will the new hire have to clean the coaching staffs out and start fresh? Is the new AD even a component or factor in the [otential success or failures there?  The Dilfer hire could be problematic or it could make those that hired him look like geniuses.  

This statement has a ton of truth from CBG.....

"If Lipscomb is going to win in D2 the families must accept the fact that the campus will look very different and things will be done very differently from how it has appeared in the past.  The major issue with offering 100% financial aid to kids that do not come from traditional Lipscomb families or C of C kids is that some families will be very jealous.  I have watched this play out numerous times where a child (Lil Bobby) has attended a school since first grade and been the BMOC and played QB.  Now a hot shot QB arrives on campus as a freshmen and is clearly better than all the other players including Lil Bobby who is a junior or senior.  The fact of the matter is that Lil Bobby may not even be good enough to get on the field at another position.  Everyone gets mad and the whole situation blows up especially if Lil Bobby is the child of a major donor.  "

These are the same problems that CPA, Ensworth, MBA and BA have been dealing with for years.   How is Lipscomb’s situation any different?  Lipscomb is simply new to all of this.  As I said earlier, I just hope they build it the right way.   Only time will telll. 

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

MM, you’re right!  There were schools, private and public, that didn’t want to play schools that were taking a different approach to bringing talent in.   It hasn’t been that long ago that East’s coach threatened not to play CPA in basketball and they were even in the same district. When the playing field isn’t even (creative ways of securing talent) why would you choose to go and get your head bashed in and get beat by 60?  Conversely, why would the elite athletic schools want to play teams they are going to beat by 60?    Lipscomb lived that nightmare for years  when they used to play BA and literally get boat raced every year.  Lipscomb decided to stop playing them when they learned that BA had a talent acquisition department that supposedly never existed.   You can’t blame schools for thinking that way if the TSSAA can’t ensure the playing field will be as even as possible. 

Personally, I hate that HS sports are where they are but unfortunately the ship has sailed and there ain’t no going back.   I think we need two divisions in D2.  Since it’s really not enrollment size that truly impacts D2 athletics, it should be based on amount of athletic scholarships given per year.    For those who will only provide X scholarships they will play down and those who want Y (virtually unlimited) you play up.   Seems pretty simple to me.  

Well lets see-  Webb and Lipscomb were the obvious two who had school reps on the Board of Control and voted against the TSSAA's staff recommendation of how to split D2 which conveniently placed them just barely in AA rather than AAA.  I know there are some other schools which benefited and maybe keep their populations in check but those two schools blatantly took care of their own.  As stated many times, I don't like D2 having to go out and bring in kids to play any sport who were not going to the school already.  It's college recruiting dripping down to high school to D2AAA, to D2AA and will be D2A and in some cases already is.  Such is life and is nothing new.  I get the idea of little Johnny being raised in his D2 program only to be supplanted his junior year by the new stud transfer and little Johnny and family now are mad as he sits the bench.  What about this twist-- how fair and safe is it for the really good player on the D2 team who due to the school's stance of not bringing in stud transfers, has to play both ways, be on the punt and kickoff teams and risk injury against other D2 programs who do have multiple transfers/acquired talent?  This guy needs some help for his own sake much less the team's but his school refuses to bring in talent to assist- does he now transfer?

50 minutes ago, cbg said:

I truly don't know anything about schools fudging enrollments other than what I have heard.  If schools have been fudging numbers they will have to live with the consequences.  Now what I have heard is that some private schools have controlled or limited the enrollment numbers to remain in a lower division.

No one was fudging numbers.   Come on!   Yes I think there were schools limiting enrollment.  I see no issue with that.  Also there were schools butting right up to the D2 AA max number.  That number could have been negotiated within the TSSAA but no one is lying about their enrollment numbers.  Those numbers are published every year in several publications.  

20 minutes ago, chainsaw2 said:

Well lets see-  Webb and Lipscomb were the obvious two who had school reps on the Board of Control and voted against the TSSAA's staff recommendation of how to split D2 which conveniently placed them just barely in AA rather than AAA.  I know there are some other schools which benefited and maybe keep their populations in check but those two schools blatantly took care of their own.  As stated many times, I don't like D2 having to go out and bring in kids to play any sport who were not going to the school already.  It's college recruiting dripping down to high school to D2AAA, to D2AA and will be D2A and in some cases already is.  Such is life and is nothing new.  I get the idea of little Johnny being raised in his D2 program only to be supplanted his junior year by the new stud transfer and little Johnny and family now are mad as he sits the bench.  What about this twist-- how fair and safe is it for the really good player on the D2 team who due to the school's stance of not bringing in stud transfers, has to play both ways, be on the punt and kickoff teams and risk injury against other D2 programs who do have multiple transfers/acquired talent?  This guy needs some help for his own sake much less the team's but his school refuses to bring in talent to assist- does he now transfer?

Yes Lipscomb really took care of their own!!   Let’s see in football they were 3 - 19 over the past two years.  I agree......with this sort of dominance Lipscomb definely should move up and see if they can compete in AAA.  Really??  If you call that taking care of their own, then so be it.  

Your twist on the safety is an interesting one.  I guess that one falls to the coaches and staff to have responsibility to monitor their players.    To your point, do we really want teams who have many scholarship players playing teams who have none or possibly 1-2?   Is that safe?   MichaelMeyer, you seem to be upset about how the D2 schools were divided up based on schools manipulating the D2 enrollment numbers.   Is that what you think is fair?   As I said earlier, it has nothing to do with enrollment size in D2, it’s all about how many players you have on scholarship.  

If they had played in D2AAA it would have been 0-22.  Whether the bank robber stole $100 or $100,000 his intent was to steal.  I won't belabor the point, but  what those two school reps did was in my mind reprehensible. 

Also, I agree with you about the scholarship players.  Is this a known number and since it is supposed to be needs based, do you differentiate between a player receiving 10% scholarship assistance vs. 25%, 50%, etc or just once you meet the scholarship player distinction that's it?