Alcoa vs Upperman for a trip to the Championship

crow6424

The difference between us in 2013 and now is scheme. And a true Rb in the backfield. Once upperman got deep in the playoffs for whatever reason they stopped using their running back in 2013. And relied almost solely on the qb for their run game and pass. Against Alcoa I'm sure he got a carry but I dont remember it. They started using the big athletic  DE in the back field as a fullback. Like an old school fullback. Not the sniffer role we see primarily today with split zone,inside zone, and gf counter trey. Was a very simple scheme where you could focus primarily on the Qb. Now they run a more modern smash mouth spread with the sniffer in the more modern role. You have to commit a few more guys to stopping it due to the extra blockers. Also various different kinds of read option. Which once again makes you commit another defender because you have to account for the running qb as well as the RB. So on offense they will be harder to stop then they were in 2013. I personally feel like this qb is just as athletic as that one just paired with a more powerful run game. The RB is a stud. If you dont swarm to the ball he will make you pay. Very rarely does the first defender bring him down and he is very good at falling forward and getting those extra couple of yards. There is enough speed at wr and he throws a good deep ball even Alcoa will get beat deep a time or 2 if they try to play to much man. Defense is the same, scheme wise they are more advanced. Show alot of different coverages/fronts and do an excellent job at taking your best playmaker out of the picture. Whatever your best at the will force you to do something else generally. Coach does a good job managing the game and uses timeouts at just the right time. Alcoa is a different animal as they dont have one or 2 playmakers on O like most teams we have saw. Their whole squad and their depth is playmakers. They key to the game for upperman is time of possession. If they can hold the ball and keep the score down they will have a shot. Coach and the coordinators  are some of the best in middle Tennessee  so they will certainly have a good game plan. Alcoa will certainly have a good game plan also. Will be interesting to see how each team decides to attack the other. I would say it will be a slow first half where Alcoa probes the defense and tries to find their matchup and upperman grinds the clock. So whoever asked what is different now and then your answer is talent wise across the board they are probably the same or better. Scheme wise they are way more advanced. And game management is much better. And we are at home. If we can get some rain before game time that will be in our favor to. While we are the under dog we have a much better shot than 2013..

And in 2013 coach very rarely pulled anybody no matter the score. The 1s were out there almost the entire game every game. That's why they had the record breaking season. But  by the time you get to the semi finals that takes a toll on you. At least 4 games this season all the starters were on the bench by half time. And they didn't get past the 3rd quarter a few others. So this group shouldn't be as worn down either. 

Edited by MadHatter1

2 hours ago, daddymacvols said:

From what I have read on this thread Alcoa fans think they are going to roll into Baxter and beat Upperman 75-18 again like they did 5 years ago. I just don't see that happening. They just may but I'm just stating that I don't see that happening.  It's ok for you all to be proud of what your boys have done this year but now I'm going to jump in to this. My question is what has this years mighty Alcoa team accomplished? A region title and they have earned the right to play in this semifinal game for a chance to go to the State Championship game next week just like the Upperman Bees have. All those rings and all those flags that fly at Alcoa's field with the years they have won State Championships mean nothing this year. Will they add a new ring or a new flag at the field this year time will tell in the next couple of weeks. Nobody knows for sure that's why they will play the game tomorrow night. I sure hope the boys on either side don't take this game lightly because only so many players get to experience ever getting this far. Good luck to both teams to stay injury free and play a strong competitive game.

Yes they have equally accomplished the same thing this year both teams but looking at over all wins that’s what makes me believe that Alcoa will definitely come into UHS and roll I think Maryville and Austin East definitely are better teams than that of the Bees and on any given Friday night they prove that just like we will roll into UHS with all our flags and and rings and gold balls and take care of business and you are correct not many to get to experience it. My son was lucky enough to go through the Alcoa program and has two Rings and a State championship MVP as well plus Mr Football finalist as well as a Conference championship ring in college so yes when you do get the opportunity you definitely do have to make the best of it . 

1 hour ago, daddymacvols said:

Ok so they beat Maryville that is a good win. I guess Alcoa will see the 2nd best team they have faced all year tomorrow night. Upperman would be ranked over great 4 A and 5A teams as well. Let's be honest Austin East was Alcoa's only other competition in their region and their cakewalk through the playoffs this year especially the teams they faced in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs aren't very much. I have to give it to them though, that Maryville game was a great win. Maryville's season ends tomorrow night in Murfreesboro. It sure would be nice to see Blount County not get one team in the State Championship games next week. Also, Bobcat fan do they give rings and banners for beating Maryville. I didn't think so. Also Upperman had 3 teams in their district ranked in the top 10 in 3A all year. Had to defeat one of them twice.

Hahahahahahahahaaha you have lost your mind the time has come hope you also enjoy crow pie maybe you had a little bit today for thanksgiving you are in for a rude awakening just sit back and watch hopefully you will have a front row seat some things never change you have one good season and you are just automatically the best ever WoW 

1 hour ago, MadHatter1 said:

And in 2013 coach very rarely pulled anybody no matter the score. The 1s were out there almost the entire game every game. That's why they had the record breaking season. But  by the time you get to the semi finals that takes a toll on you. At least 4 games this season all the starters were on the bench by half time. And they didn't get past the 3rd quarter a few others. So this group shouldn't be as worn down either. 

Alcoa straters  have been out of every game all the way through except MARYVILLE in the early third and maybe some of the Austin East games. But I do applaud your actual football talk this go Hatter I may have gained a little more respect for you this go around but I am sure you will put your foot back in your mouth before tomorrow night. Good luck my friend 

38 minutes ago, MadHatter1 said:

I've watched Upperman against Redback and SC. Watched the SC twice.

You're going to have your MINE blown how fast the F5 defense gets to the QB! The linemen a pretty good size a give the QB lots of time. But, not Friday night. Too much speed. Upperman QB going to be running for his life.

SC ran the ball well against Upperman. Alcoa will run the ball with more speed and more down hill smash mouth style. Hope none of the linemen have go both way. Ha.

Oh, then there's the Alcoa's QB, Mr football finalist! When your coach decides to load the box. Boom, Alcoa stretches that field out. Can Alcoa throw the ball? With a loaded backfield it unbelievable the passing yardage Alcoa"s QB has racked up!

What is the best thing about this years team? The secret weapon? The thing that got Alcoa past Maryville? DEPTH!!

Alcoa's talent and depth allows zero drop off 1st team to 2nd team. And they rotate almost every play. 84 players with the Sophomores being some of the best players on the field.

Teams better be ready to go hard and fast 4 quarters. Not 3A fast and hard. 6A fast and hard. Linemen going both ways? 45-55 players on the roster? You're just kidding yourself. 

I do not see a 75 point game,  maybe more like 38-49, but that's typically when the dogs a called off and players parked for the next fight! I also don't see the Bees scoring more than 14 points....actually be surprised to see more than 7 ?

11 minutes ago, alcoachoochoo said:

Yes they have equally accomplished the same thing this year both teams but looking at over all wins that’s what makes me believe that Alcoa will definitely come into UHS and roll I think Maryville and Austin East definitely are better teams than that of the Bees and on any given Friday night they prove that just like we will roll into UHS with all our flags and and rings and gold balls and take care of business and you are correct not many to get to experience it. My son was lucky enough to go through the Alcoa program and has two Rings and a State championship MVP as well plus Mr Football finalist as well as a Conference championship ring in college so yes when you do get the opportunity you definitely do have to make the best of it . 

I have watched the Austin east game. They are not better than upperman.   Certainly a talented group. Makes way to many mistakes.  Dropped passes. Turnovers. Not getting off the field on  4th down. Their talent was not to far behind yours. I dare say if the coaches were reversed. You had theirs and they had yours they likely would of beat you. But that's a what if scenario. While getting off the field on 4th down may also be a problem for uhs..They have played far.more disciplined than ae up until this point. 

5 minutes ago, alcoachoochoo said:

Alcoa straters  have been out of every game all the way through except MARYVILLE in the early third and maybe some of the Austin East games. But I do applaud your actual football talk this go Hatter I may have gained a little more respect for you this go around but I am sure you will put your foot back in your mouth before tomorrow night. Good luck my friend 

Not trying to debate who did a better job saving their starters. Just saying this group is healthier and less taxed than the 2013 version. Someone asked the difference  between now and then earlier.