Griders 2019 South Pittsburg Pirates

Roy Dillard

Hey guys it’s been years since I’ve commented on these boards. But I watch and read all the time. I’m Dale’s nephew and just wanted to chime in and say thank you for remembering him on here and also thanks for the prayers.He would really appreciate this.  Dale shared a lot of great memories over the years with me and the family, and was one heck of a ball player. Also, he was very proud and excited about his great nephew (my stepson),being part of the team #73. He was talking with me just the other day saying how we think this group of boys will bring back the gold one of the years before they graduate. 

Not only was he a huge pirate supporter but was one heck of a friend and personality to be around, and it showed every time we were in the stands. So many ppl came and spoke to him. And If you didn’t know him then you may know his loud booming voice when our boys lined up to kick the ball off, he would yell above the crowd

“LETS HIT SOMEBODY!!!!”

Man I’m sure going to miss that...

But I just wanted to say thanks to all for taking the time to remember him and Thanks for the support, we sure do appreciate it.

R.I.P #44. And until next year let’s hit somebody.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Letshitsumbody44 said:

Hey guys it’s been years since I’ve commented on these boards. But I watch and read all the time. I’m Dale’s nephew and just wanted to chime in and say thank you for remembering him on here and also thanks for the prayers.He would really appreciate this.  Dale shared a lot of great memories over the years with me and the family, and was one heck of a ball player. Also, he was very proud and excited about his great nephew (my stepson),being part of the team #73. He was talking with me just the other day saying how we think this group of boys will bring back the gold one of the years before they graduate. 

Not only was he a huge pirate supporter but was one heck of a friend and personality to be around, and it showed every time we were in the stands. So many ppl came and spoke to him. And If you didn’t know him then you may know his loud booming voice when our boys lined up to kick the ball off, he would yell above the crowd

“LETS HIT SOMEBODY!!!!”

But I just wanted to say thanks to all for taking the time to remember him and Thanks for the support, we sure do appreciate it.

Good post young man. I remember growing up watching your uncle. Stick around here and post with us from now on. You joined in 2006 and only have 3 posts. It’s impressive that you even remembered your login information. Prayers for your family. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sportman said:

The TD that tied it up, well before the 2pt conversion. our guy had glue in his shoes and just watched him run by and never looked around. Our DB had the best picture of it for sure bc he watched him the whole time, just like he did a few other times this year. The one before half #5 just miss timed his jump but was in good position, but you can't wait for the ball to come down, it would have been better to get a penalty then let that long pass get down there and who know's. They might never score. But that's a forgone conclussion now. 

Man that pass before the half hung in the air forever I was in the stands right were he caught it at. I couldn't believe he caught it #5 jumped a full second or two to early his feet were back on the ground when the ball got there!!! I still cant believe Whitwell came back kinda seems it's in the cards for them to Win the Gold Ball after last weeks game as well!!! 

9 hours ago, Letshitsumbody44 said:

“LETS HIT SOMEBODY!!!!”

Great post.  Dale was a great friend to so many and once you were around him for a few minutes you could tell where he stood on thing's. I wish all our alumni were as passionate about the Pirate's as he was. He was at most games and after so many graduate now you never see them back. I guess some of them don't know what it meant to be a True Pirate like Dale did.  Man I'm going to miss him so much but I am always going to keep his memory alive with all the good times we had together. I remember in Little league baseball when at SP it was 8- 12 year olds in the same league, not like it is now where you have 5-6, 7-8, 9-10,11-12 . But anyways I was 10 and played for the Braves, 3rd base BTW, and Dale played for the Mighty Mets and he had already throwed so many no hitters, and I was batting third and we were already so scared of him but I closed my eyes and hit a double off of him .  That was the only hit of the game and they beat us so bad but I remember the second time I got up he threw a fastball I couldn't get out of the way of and it about broke my arm. LOL.. I always teased him about that after we moved a couple houses from him when I was 12. We became the best of friends and I remember having a TN 44 jersey a few years later that he always loved bc he was #44 for the Pirates, I believe he was 41 his Freshman year BTW, but I gave him that jersey and he wore it under him uniform alot. Sure wish I had more friends like Dale Gibson. RIP my Dear Friend!!!