How Whitwell Won The Gold

whitwellpaw

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Both teams had the wind at their back for half the game. This thread is full of "what if's" and "I would have's", but we all have the luxury of knowing the outcome of every play we're picking apart. Both teams played excellent football, both made a few mistakes, and both were good enough to win... one mistake by Cornersville cost them one point, and that decided the game. I don't know of many plays the Cornersville Coach would like to do over in order to change his call, and I'd bet that there have been very few games across the state this entire season with fewer. Despite the disparity in yardage gained, these were two very evenly matched teams who played a very close game until the final whistle. People are fond of saying that there are no such thing as moral victories. I disagree with that in principal, but in this case their right... the Bulldogs came out of the shadows last season, demolished most opponents for two years running, and came up a single point short...no moral victory. Having said that, this group has changed Cornersville football from homecoming queen, into a program to be feared by all of 1A/2A. I'm sure that Cornersville has always supported their team, but I'm just as sure that now that support has grown, that the Bulldog program will continue to see that in the stands (and boosters), and to reap the rewards in facilities.

To the Bulldog players... You will forever be the team that put your school, community, and football program on the map. You will forever be the bunch of young men who set the standard, inspired the younger kids, motivated your entire town, and gained the highest level of respect from the entire state. I have never been to a Cornersville football game, but I was sick for you players and your fans that you didn't hold that gold ball... before you feel that you have let yourselves or the community down, you need to understand the enormous gift that you have given your fans. You have filled their Friday nights with positive emotions... they have cheered, laughed, yelled, high fived, and lived your victories with you, and you have brought them together as one. They are heartbroken right now, but here's the part that you players don't understand. They are not heartbroken for themselves. Until you one day sit in the stands alongside your fans and families, and feel the pride in watching your little brother, cousin, son, grandson, neighbor, or someone that you don't even know wearing your school colors with the same pride that you have, you won't understand that the pain felt now is for the young men that have given so much to them and asked nothing in return. They know the level of effort, desire, brotherhood, and pride that you all have played with because they have felt it, and the cost that comes with that when you lose, because they have felt that, not so much for themselves, but for you. Keep your heads up boys...you are the true hometown hero's. 

Great post trader!

Whitwell had two good seasons and now they think they are one of the top programs  in 1a. Most of the fans I have talked to with any football knowledge know what’s coming next yr and years to follow. Coaching staff was blessed to have a once in a generation senior class with great talent. So next few years will determine if they can coach or they were bailed out bc of the talented kids that surrounding them. That is if coach doesn’t bolt for a another job. 

5 hours ago, WingoVFL said:

I think they won the toss and chose to receive 

Not sure if Cherokee23 mentioned it to you but after the championship game our cousin living in GA commented on my FB post asking how we knew Josh Wingo. I explained the long story short of 2 older brothers supporting their two younger brothers and meeting through Coach T. Cousin Becky and George Wingo then informed us you Wingo boys were their nephews! Small world lol! Cherokee23 is my son btw.

Edited by ladykee

1 hour ago, ladykee said:

Not sure if Cherokee23 mentioned it to you but after the championship game our cousin living in GA commented on my FB post asking how we knew Josh Wingo. I explained the long story short of 2 older brothers supporting their two younger brothers and meeting through Coach T. Cousin Becky and George Wingo then informed us you Wingo boys were their nephews! Small world lol! Cherokee23 is my son btw.

Wow that is crazy lol. We was talking about going some UT games next year hopefully they are good lmbo and you can say we are proud brothers lol both of them have rings 

Edited by WingoVFL

7 hours ago, Thevalleytruth said:

Whitwell had two good seasons and now they think they are one of the top programs  in 1a. Most of the fans I have talked to with any football knowledge know what’s coming next yr and years to follow. Coaching staff was blessed to have a once in a generation senior class with great talent. So next few years will determine if they can coach or they were bailed out bc of the talented kids that surrounding them. That is if coach doesn’t bolt for a another job. 

Whitwell will still win a lot of games next season with the schedule I saw on here. They won’t beat SP, but could win the rest of them. 

16 hours ago, Thevalleytruth said:

It’s good to see a staff that capitalizes on having talent. Here is another thing the Juniors coming back have played 40 weeks of football those extra weeks of practice go a long way in play development and maturity. 

14 hours ago, ladykee said:

I met nation when I came to greenback last year.  He don't look old enough to have kids in high school much less out of high school.  Hate I didn't get to meet you as well.  All the fellers I met were big enough to put me in their pocket.  Makes my career as a trash talker hard :sad:

20 hours ago, Thevalleytruth said:

Hmm most all of them I’ve talked too, understand exactly what it is, and I’ve seen many acknowledge this was their best an likely only shot. 

But I’d have to say the staff and the two you coached seemed to have done a dang good job. 

Edited by ImaSavage