West Tn Class A

Intense

1 hour ago, Greenfieldfan said:

Gibson County is the best team in A or AA in west Tennessee at the midway point of the season.  They should be the number 1 team in Class A when the poll comes out. 

They played well in the tournament no doubt. Our defense is so nasty it keeps us in games even when we don't play well offensively. When we play well offensively and don't turn it over we will be tough to beat. Greenfield is getting better as well. Thought they played really good the second half of South Side and beat a real tough Dyersburg team by double digits.

I am confident that we have a 10-12 point advantage at home every time we tip off in our gym. But I'm a realist, I also realize that when we travel to the opposing team's venues...we're not as strong. That's how it should be with every program. You're always better at home. I wouldn't say the we're the best in A (yet) and I know we're not the best in AA. I don't judge our stature based upon our home wins. We'll be competitive in every game and we've been lucky to have faced and won against the bigger schools at home. Playing at South Side or Westview is a little different...and even Dyersburg, as we already know, compared to playing them on their floor. We're just glad to be in the position right now we are in and hope we keep getting better. I'd much rather play Greenfield, TCA, USJ, Gleason in a one game elimination game on a neutral court than SouthSide or Westview. I think we could win those games, but in the tournament they seem to find another gear. It's pretty easy to tell when you beat a good team, they shake hands pretty emotionless unless it means something, say good game, and then they're laughing while watching the boy's game. We handled our loss pretty well in Dyersburg, shook hands, and acted like we would be ok and we came back focused and ready. 

8 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

They played well in the tournament no doubt. Our defense is so nasty it keeps us in games even when we don't play well offensively. When we play well offensively and don't turn it over we will be tough to beat. Greenfield is getting better as well. Thought they played really good the second half of South Side and beat a real tough Dyersburg team by double digits.

Greenfield got robbed and couldn't play 5 on 8 against South Side. There's no way that crew should've been able to call that game. I've never seen Trevathan catch a technical foul and it's rare when Coach W does too. That should tell you something. 

7 hours ago, SuperFan14A said:

I am confident that we have a 10-12 point advantage at home every time we tip off in our gym. But I'm a realist, I also realize that when we travel to the opposing team's venues...we're not as strong. That's how it should be with every program. You're always better at home. I wouldn't say the we're the best in A (yet) and I know we're not the best in AA. I don't judge our stature based upon our home wins. We'll be competitive in every game and we've been lucky to have faced and won against the bigger schools at home. Playing at South Side or Westview is a little different...and even Dyersburg, as we already know, compared to playing them on their floor. We're just glad to be in the position right now we are in and hope we keep getting better. I'd much rather play Greenfield, TCA, USJ, Gleason in a one game elimination game on a neutral court than SouthSide or Westview. I think we could win those games, but in the tournament they seem to find another gear. It's pretty easy to tell when you beat a good team, they shake hands pretty emotionless unless it means something, say good game, and then they're laughing while watching the boy's game. We handled our loss pretty well in Dyersburg, shook hands, and acted like we would be ok and we came back focused and ready. 

I will say this until I am blue in the face. Defensively, we are super consistent and are probably the best team in the state. If we learn to be consistent offensively and play fast as we were in the tournament for the most part, we are probably the best team in the state. At Dyersburg, we played slow all night. When i mean fast, I mean as soon as the opponent misses the shot the outlets sprint the other way and throw over the top before any one can get set. This is where we are dangerous. This is where space is created and 1) your shooters can spot up and shoot threes or 2) you can take it to the rim or 3) you can dish it off to cutters or posts in the paint for lay ups and 4) you can set up your press when you score. When you play slow and go stretches without scoring 1) you aren't scoring and 2) you are not pressing and wearing out opponent and creating TO's. Don't get me wrong. Ok to play slow at times to eat a little clock when we have a big lead but you still need to move the ball fast and make quick cuts and get the ball down low quick all to create space.

26 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

I will say this until I am blue in the face. Defensively, we are super consistent and are probably the best team in the state. If we learn to be consistent offensively and play fast as we were in the tournament for the most part, we are probably the best team in the state. At Dyersburg, we played slow all night. When i mean fast, I mean as soon as the opponent misses the shot the outlets sprint the other way and throw over the top before any one can get set. This is where we are dangerous. This is where space is created and 1) your shooters can spot up and shoot threes or 2) you can take it to the rim or 3) you can dish it off to cutters or posts in the paint for lay ups and 4) you can set up your press when you score. When you play slow and go stretches without scoring 1) you aren't scoring and 2) you are not pressing and wearing out opponent and creating TO's. Don't get me wrong. Ok to play slow at times to eat a little clock when we have a big lead but you still need to move the ball fast and make quick cuts and get the ball down low quick all to create space.

Very well said and I completely agree. 

17 hours ago, Greenfieldfan said:

Gibson County is the best team in A or AA in west Tennessee at the midway point of the season.  They should be the number 1 team in Class A when the poll comes out. 

Thanks for the fan vote for #1. From this Pioneer perspective, Greenfield is a better team this year than they were last year. You have more consistent scoring from more positions and the supporting cast of the dynamic duo are a lot better basketball players. I expect to see Greenfield at the glass house again this year. 

1 hour ago, SuperFan14A said:

Thanks for the fan vote for #1. From this Pioneer perspective, Greenfield is a better team this year than they were last year. You have more consistent scoring from more positions and the supporting cast of the dynamic duo are a lot better basketball players. I expect to see Greenfield at the glass house again this year. 

I disagree. I think last years team was better

20 hours ago, Intense said:

Greenfield

Gibson Co

TCA

Dresden

Huntingdon

Gleason

Peabody

Who am I missing that will be contenders in February?

Spot on here.  From what I have seen so far, it is Greenfield and Gibson County then a huge gap to the others that you mentioned.  Upsets can happen but I think Greenfield and Gibson are the most likely reps for West Tn to the state tourney.  Gleason and TCA have great guards but lack a post presence to play through, Dresden lacks depth (and players in general so far this year) and Peabody and Huntingdon don't have the guards needed to make a deep post season run.  Anyone else agree or disagree?