A8 Refs are getting worse every game

reasonable14

Hey I’ve got the solution for all of everyone’s issues with the referees. Since everyone is an expert in the stands and on here why don’t you put on the uniform and right all of these wrongs you are seeing!!!  Become a referee it has to be easy I mean look at these dummies that are doing it. You are way better than they are!!!  It’s the same with coaching. Those morons have no clue what they are doing so those of you that want to make a change should do so. I’ve never missed a call from the stands or the bench and I’m sure you haven’t either. Oh and you actually get paid to do it so there’s all the motivation you should need!!

4 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Hey I’ve got the solution for all of everyone’s issues with the referees. Since everyone is an expert in the stands and on here why don’t you put on the uniform and right all of these wrongs you are seeing!!!  Become a referee it has to be easy I mean look at these dummies that are doing it. You are way better than they are!!!  It’s the same with coaching. Those morons have no clue what they are doing so those of you that want to make a change should do so. I’ve never missed a call from the stands or the bench and I’m sure you haven’t either. Oh and you actually get paid to do it so there’s all the motivation you should need!!

I plan to. Missing close calls, I get it, missing blatant obvious calls, I dont. When everybody I'm the gym, both teams fans see some of the stuff that's "missed" and you the ref thats right on top of it misses it. That's no excuse. Some of us in the stands have played and reffed. They care more about a dang headband, rolled shorts and what color pre wrap you have on your knees than they do about calling the game correctly. It's ok if you're on the ref side of this, we all have our opinions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Your favorite team must be one of the 3 or 4 on the plateau that always gets the home cooking and couldn’t win without it. 

These are some of the things that I’ve seen officials do over the last two years that should never happen, and when they do, that official should not be calling games.  One walked into a gym wearing the home teams t-shirt before changing into his uniform. One high fived a player during warm ups. And that same ref, just the other night, stopped to chastise a fan who pointed out an obvious missed call, while the game went on behind her for 15 seconds. One hugged the parents of a coach when he came into the gym. One sat down and talked with 2 fans of the home team before the game started.  And those are just etiquette issues.  That doesn’t even start to address the lack of knowledge of the rules or the game.  If refs don’t want to be criticized, maybe they shouldn’t be so incompetent. 

58 minutes ago, Mw4vols said:

Your favorite team must be one of the 3 or 4 on the plateau that always gets the home cooking and couldn’t win without it. 

Not at all. I have been on the opposing side coaching teams for 25 years. I’ve done my share of complaining and had more than my share of technical fouls so I get it.  I just don’t like it when people get on here and complain about how bad the refs are and granted there are some bad ones but there are some good ones out there as well. So let’s make a difference and sign up to call some games. If you’re as good as you think you are then they have a need for you we all have that need!!  

Edited by UCSportsFan

It sounds a lot like politics. Everyone wants to complain about the government, but don"t run for office! Good officials are slowly declining . How do  we reverse this? It's a pretty good paying second job. How about offer referee classes to college students as one of their electives ? Maybe training Military personal as a second side job? It will never be perfect, but I believe it can be made better. Where there is money, there are people willing to take it. I do not buy this trend about people being harder on refs now then the past. My memory as a high school basketball player was more people at the game, and even more people yelling at the refs. We now have more social media to complain about it.  This game of basketball is going to go on either way, good or bad refs, but as a fan I would sure like to see the best refs we can put on the floor!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Not at all. I have been on the opposing side coaching teams for 25 years. I’ve done my share of complaining and had more than my share of technical fouls so I get it.  I just don’t like it when people get on here and complain about how bad the refs are and granted there are some bad ones but there are some good ones out there as well. So let’s make a difference and sign up to call some games. If you’re as good as you think you are then they have a need for you we all have that need!!  

Love it. Now none of us better complain but only the select few that know more about the game can complain and have been complaining for 25 years because they good enough to and know more than everyone else about the game and right and wrong calls. Even if it's an obvious problem no one in the stands can say anything because we might not have called a  game or coached.  Sounds like TSSAA has brainwashed another to keep them in the fold. 

Edited by OrangeGuru

9 hours ago, OrangeGuru said:

Love it. Now none of us better complain but only the select few that know more about the game can complain and have been complaining for 25 years because they good enough to and know more than everyone else about the game and right and wrong calls. Even if it's an obvious problem no one in the stands can say anything because we might not have called a  game or coached.  Sounds like TSSAA has brainwashed another to keep them in the fold. 

You’re probably just like most of the mommy’s and daddy’s and think you know how to run the team and you know when little Susie  gets fouled. Another know it all parent. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

the problem is there are not enough Referees.  we have 2 weeks left in the season and need help!  all of these knowledgeable fans need to sign up to make the last 2 weeks better.  I refereed a Christmas Tournament this year that used 36 Referees.   Only 3 assignments were to people under 50.  There is a major problem!  in the next 2-3 years you will see High School games cancelled due to lack of bodies to assign to the games.  SO the biggest help you could do is quit posting about how bad your officials are and join the ranks to make them better.   once you get on the court you will then say to yourself " those officials were not as bad as I thought they were."

23 minutes ago, Timeslowdownplease said:

the problem is there are not enough Referees.  we have 2 weeks left in the season and need help!  all of these knowledgeable fans need to sign up to make the last 2 weeks better.  I refereed a Christmas Tournament this year that used 36 Referees.   Only 3 assignments were to people under 50.  There is a major problem!  in the next 2-3 years you will see High School games cancelled due to lack of bodies to assign to the games.  SO the biggest help you could do is quit posting about how bad your officials are and join the ranks to make them better.   once you get on the court you will then say to yourself " those officials were not as bad as I thought they were."

People like OrangeGoober just want to sit in the stands and complain they don’t want actually pick up a whistle and make a difference. They get on websites and attack others under a fictitious name so they can hide. Par for course these days unfortunately. 

Officiating is a "thankless" job. If you do a great job then you aren't noticed. If you make a bad call, you get jumped by "Little Johnny's" mom and grandma.....

There are less and less officials that are willing to do it because morons in the stands lose their mind every time a call isn't made in their favor..... 

The officials that do work the games are mostly new to officiating b/c most sane adults get out of it because of (see above statement)

Without a doubt, fans have gotten worse.....so far as to actually make personal bodily harm threats against officials.....?? Are you friggin kidding me? Over a game? Over a child's game? 

Let's be clear on something else. The pay is better than it used to be, but it is still not great. $60-$120 depending on the level you are officiating and if there is one or two games. This does not include the fact that officials have to drive usually well over 30 minutes to get to the game along with having to purchase all of their own apparel, gear, etc.

Parents/fans need to sit back and enjoy the kids getting to "PLAY A GAME"........I repeat......."PLAY..... A..... GAME"

Stop living vicariously through your children and let them chart their own path....... This is not life or death.....

Edited by Wrigley
  • Like 1

Its obvious this a hot topic with opinions on both sides, very rarely do officials cost a team a game. Th great thing about basketball as well as other sports is it teaches players as well as coaches how to handle adversity. Some nights the calls go your way and some nights they dont. Most of the good teams battle through the adversity when the calls dont go there way. Without question there are some officials that are not very good, but there are also several good ones out there as well. If you watch any college or pro games you can say the same thing. The UT Vandy game on Wednesday was a perfect example. Some say the refs cost Vandy the game with flagrant foul call late, but what about all the missed free throws and turnovers late in the game. There is always going to be heated discussion on this topic,  just my 2 cents worth. 

• Like 2