Wes Jones resigns from HVA wow

GIJoe

4 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

The wildcats know him well.

I must be making this harder than it really is. If "the wildcats know him really well", then I assume he coaches for OR, and RG is some kind of code since I looked at the program from last year and there's no coach with those initials. I guess I'm the only guy around who has no idea who this could be. I'll ask a friend who may know, and try to get this mystery solved.

3 minutes ago, bonkers said:

I must be making this harder than it really is. If "the wildcats know him really well", then I assume he coaches for OR, and RG is some kind of code since I looked at the program from last year and there's no coach with those initials. I guess I'm the only guy around who has no idea who this could be. I'll ask a friend who may know, and try to get this mystery solved.

Teaches at OR, has coached at several area schools. Including Bearden and Halls. Not sure where he is now. 

19 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Look at the timing from beginning to end. The time line starts from when Jones resigned. Even though there was a new principal the original principal still had more to do with the hire. Most of you will never know who is really running the show.

I think you are correct.  I believe the former administrator had more to do with this hire than the new one. 

8 minutes ago, HTV said:

I think you are correct.  I believe the former administrator had more to do with this hire than the new one. 

Not just the old principal. Other people at the school also. HVA is a big place with many voices and influence that help make decisions. Alot of moving parts. Parents could also have influence.

5 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Not just the old principal. Other people at the school also. HVA is a big place with many voices and influence that help make decisions. Alot of moving parts. Parents could also have influence.

Sounds like a recipe for not winning championships

17 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Pretty much my thought, too.  As the old saying goes, too many cooks spoils the broth.  

After all, what does the former principal at Fulton know about winning championships and playing at a high level?  

Edited by HTV
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OldandBusted said:

Down the same old road they will travel!

Well, could be.  A lot has to change for HVA to get to the next level of competitiveness in football.  No offense intended at all to the new head coach, but the defense wasn't awful.  From my observations new offensive blood was needed a whole lot worse than defense.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HTV said:

Well, could be.  A lot has to change for HVA to get to the next level of competitiveness in football.  No offense intended at all to the new head coach, but the defense wasn't awful.  From my observations new offensive blood was needed a whole lot worse than defense.  

From what I've heard, it sounds as if formal interviews were with current staff only. Apparently written interviews were possibly sent to others. Being so close to pre-season practice would have played a part in the process. School work is to come first -- After all HVA is an "Academy"------------not just a high school ------------(tongue in cheek).

5 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

You have to look at what the goals of the whole system  for Knox County are. Winning sports championship are not main priority of the big system that Knox County is. Some schools in Knox County are set up for what ever reason to be more competitive in sports than other schools in the county. Alot of different factors go into making a championship competitor, especially at the 6A level. What school in Knox County has constantly competed at the highest level of competition regardless of class since the state championship playoffs started. That is competing for championships at the state level in the playoffs every year. Not just making the playoffs. Winning multiple games in the playoffs for decades like Alcoa, Maryville, or other traditional power houses. Compare the ups and downs of the teams with the most state championships to the ups and downs of the teams that have won a few in Knox County. The ups and downs of Knox County teams are much longer down than downs of Maryville and Alcoa and others. But still in Knox County some schools are set up more favorably than others when it comes to sports competition and success/championships. Just because it is a big school does not equal championships. Even within the school itself, some forces pull against success/championship in sports/athletics. Unless you have experienced it as a player/parent at that specific school, you probably would not understand it. 

14 minutes ago, HTV said:

Pretty much my thought, too.  As the old saying goes, too many cooks spoils the broth.  

After all, what does the former principal at Fulton know about winning championships and playing at a high level?  

Fulton priorities and tradition and other factors are no where comparable to HVA priorities, tradition, factors, etc. Not an excuse, just the way of the world in Knox County football and other sports.

14 minutes ago, HSfootballan said:

From what I've heard, it sounds as if formal interviews were with current staff only. Apparently written interviews were possibly sent to others. Being so close to pre-season practice would have played a part in the process. School work is to come first -- After all HVA is an "Academy"------------not just a high school ------------(tongue in cheek).

Yep.  Which is why I said that the former Principal may have been a lot more involved in making the decision than the new one.  I know of at least two of the "written" interview applicants who were led to believe they would get a call early this week, but never even got a courtesy "thank you for appying" call before the new coach was named today.  

But the bottom line is that the timing was awful.  The former coach did them no favors waiting until the last minute to announce he was leaving.  And I am not judging him, but this seems like a decision that would have had to have been made before the end of the school year.