Covington @ Milan week 7

CHARGERFAN

1 hour ago, ManOfMillions said:

Also, the only team that Covington has played this year with a winning record is Westview and Munford ( both are 4-3). Westview has proven NOT to be the state title contender some pinned them as being early in the season. 

There is still a lot of football left to be played. Covington has yet to play the meat of their schedule. They have Milan, SGC, and McScary left to play. 

Lastly, I think Covington is favored to win all of those contests. Covington could also lose all 3 of those. 

Max-preps show Bauxite, AR to be 3-1. Covington beat them too. Bauxite opened their season with the loss to Covington and is 3-0 in their schedule in Arkansas.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

4 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I know the band director at Bauxite. They usually have a good team. The are a top 10 caliber team in their class in Arkansas. 

Thanks for the info. Covington got by them 37-12. They are the only opponent this year to get more than 7 points on the Covington defense.

Edited by CHARGERFAN

19 minutes ago, lincoln said:

Everyone is concerned about who Covington has played.  So here it is....They have played 5A Munford 4-2 W35-0, 4A Bauxite 3-1 W 37-12, Bolivar 1-5 W 41-0, 5A Brighton 2-4 W 42-7, Westview 4-2 W 53-7, and 4A Ripley 3-3 W 34-7.

But nobody is mentioning how Milan has not beat anyone with a winning record.  4A Liberty 2-4, Bolivar 1-5, and 4A Lexington 3-3.  We all know who they have lost to Peabody 5-0 South Gibson 5-1 and Huntington 6-0.  

And all this will not matter come kick off throw all the records out.  The comments of the Coach at Milan is irrelevant whether they are as good as they were last year.  So what is he saying that Covington is not very good?  If he is saying that and Covington wins, what does that say about Milan’s team hmmm???  

That’s not what he is saying and you know that. He was extremely complimentary of your team. Just didn’t feel like they were as complete of a team. Obviously you guys are very good. This game probably won’t be close. 

1 hour ago, lincoln said:

Everyone is concerned about who Covington has played.  So here it is....They have played 5A Munford 4-2 W35-0, 4A Bauxite 3-1 W 37-12, Bolivar 1-5 W 41-0, 5A Brighton 2-4 W 42-7, Westview 4-2 W 53-7, and 4A Ripley 3-3 W 34-7.

But nobody is mentioning how Milan has not beat anyone with a winning record.  4A Liberty 2-4, Bolivar 1-5, and 4A Lexington 3-3.  We all know who they have lost to Peabody 5-0 South Gibson 5-1 and Huntington 6-0.  

And all this will not matter come kick off throw all the records out.  The comments of the Coach at Milan is irrelevant whether they are as good as they were last year.  So what is he saying that Covington is not very good?  If he is saying that and Covington wins, what does that say about Milan’s team hmmm???  

This is the same guy who told the Milan paper that playing Peabody the first game of season was a scheduling mistake and if Milan would have played Peabody week three they would have won. I don’t think humble in his vocabulary. 

7 hours ago, Tide21 said:

This is the same guy who told the Milan paper that playing Peabody the first game of season was a scheduling mistake and if Milan would have played Peabody week three they would have won. I don’t think humble in his vocabulary. 

He also said..... that this team had MORE talent on it than the 98 team that won the state title..... Honestly, before the season I kinda bought into the hype. Turns out it is just that hype. I remember thinking holy smokes if they have more talent than the 98 team surely they are going to beat the breaks off a bunch of teams this year. After Covington beats Milan Friday, they are going to be on the outside looking in at the playoffs. Milan will have 2 MUST wins after Fridays night. They MUST beat McNasty, AND Westview in week 10... I will say this Milan has a legit D. They have the best D we have seen this year. I know that we have not played Covington yet and the sounds of it they are probably better but at week 6 Milan has the best D we have seen this year. 

IF and I do mean IF Milan can pull the upset against the chargers it would play huge into their chances of making the playoffs. That is going to be a tall order even at Johnnie Hale... Milan can win this contest. Make no mistake about it. I personally do not think it will happen but it could. Everyone conveniently forgets that Milan started slow last year and made it all the way to the 3rd round of the playoffs before being eliminated by the chargers. 

If I were an odds maker I would put the line at Covington - 16.5. 

2 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

He also said..... that this team had MORE talent on it than the 98 team that won the state title..... Honestly, before the season I kinda bought into the hype. Turns out it is just that hype. I remember thinking holy smokes if they have more talent than the 98 team surely they are going to beat the breaks off a bunch of teams this year. After Covington beats Milan Friday, they are going to be on the outside looking in at the playoffs. Milan will have 2 MUST wins after Fridays night. They MUST beat McNasty, AND Westview in week 10... I will say this Milan has a legit D. They have the best D we have seen this year. I know that we have not played Covington yet and the sounds of it they are probably better but at week 6 Milan has the best D we have seen this year. 

IF and I do mean IF Milan can pull the upset against the chargers it would play huge into their chances of making the playoffs. That is going to be a tall order even at Johnnie Hale... Milan can win this contest. Make no mistake about it. I personally do not think it will happen but it could. Everyone conveniently forgets that Milan started slow last year and made it all the way to the 3rd round of the playoffs before being eliminated by the chargers. 

Why must we win both. 6 teams in the region and 4 get in. We have already beat Bolivar. If we beat McNairy we are in and they are out. 

4 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

They did real well prior to the season and did good last year. They were young.  The talent is there. I’m pretty the junior class are the ones who went undefeated their freshman year. 

You think their defense is better than Peabody’s ?  Don’t base your answer off what was played against sgc in the jamboree. That wasn’t the complete starting defense or offense. 

Here's my evaluation of the Covington team:

Defense -Covington All State linebacker Caleb Winfrey is out. But, he didn't play last week against Ripley and Ripley could only score 7 points. This is a better defense in 2019 than Covington had in 2017 or 2018, as I see it.

Offense - Covington's offense is built around All State running back Marcus Hayes. But, new on the scene this year is freshman RB Jamarion Dowell. Either of these guys have the speed to take it to the house on any given play. In addition, Covington has two or three other backs who could probably start for most teams. With this stable of runners, the young Charger QB, Carson Ruffin, is able to just hand the ball off, and only throw the ball 2 or 3 times per game. 

Special Teams - Covington's special teams has made it really tough on punters this year. The rush on the punter has resulted in snaps over the punters head, blocked punts, fumbles, etc. The Chargers have done well covering K.O.'s and punts, without giving up that big return. 

How about one of you Milan fans giving us a breakdown on Milan?

3 hours ago, Tide21 said:

They did real well prior to the season and did good last year. They were young.  The talent is there. I’m pretty the junior class are the ones who went undefeated their freshman year. 

You think their defense is better than Peabody’s ?  Don’t base your answer off what was played against sgc in the jamboree. That wasn’t the complete starting defense or offense. 

I do not base anything on the glorified dress rehearsal. The jamboree means nothing, shows nothing, and is not a gauge to see where your program is. 

Edited by ManOfMillions