Cland at the creek

THE KING

3 hours ago, old24eagle said:

I know we talk alot about sports and use that as reasons to combine schools or not and so on but if you look at education and test scores Cloudland is a VERY good school! dont see Carter County messing with that much right now.

Oh no I'm not saying that Cloudland isn't a great school most of my family went there myself included,it all has to do with the enrollment numbers,there is empty classrooms at the elementary and the numbers are low at the high school as well,most of the people who move in to roan mountain are retired or their kids are grown and could care less about the school,and alot of the kids who graduated from there have no choice but to move to find work not everybody wants to be a teacher or work in the medical field.Im not saying this consolidation will ever take place but from a financial standpoint it really would make sense to consolidate

5 hours ago, old24eagle said:

I know we talk alot about sports and use that as reasons to combine schools or not and so on but if you look at education and test scores Cloudland is a VERY good school! dont see Carter County messing with that much right now.

Had a couple of k-8 schools in Greene County close and one of them was a reward school—highest academic honor any of our k-8 schools had received, and they closed it last year. Lol politicians aren’t looking to make the education better or maintain high standards. It’s all about the mighty dollar.  Tons of research shows that smaller schools are more beneficial to the overall development of kids, yet Greene County wants to build a high school that holds 2200+ students. STUPID. I really hope they don’t close Cloudland. Destroys community identity. At some point people in high places in the education field need to decide what’s more important—developing quality community members or saving a dime so schools can all have shiny toilet seats. 

Edited by RebRebReb

55 minutes ago, RebRebReb said:

Had a couple of k-8 schools in Greene County close and one of them was a reward school—highest academic honor any of our k-8 schools had received, and they closed it last year. Lol politicians aren’t looking to make the education better or maintain high standards. It’s all about the mighty dollar.  Tons of research shows that smaller schools are more beneficial to the overall development of kids, yet Greene County wants to build a high school that holds 2200+ students. STUPID. I really hope they don’t close Cloudland. Destroys community identity. At some point people in high places in the education field need to decide what’s more important—developing quality community members or saving a dime so schools can all have shiny toilet seats. 

So true, with a the yankees that have moved here Greene county has already lost most of it's identity. If they keep closing our schools we will lose the rest of it. Hopefully Carter County does not fall into this some trap.