Smyrna-LaVergne & Overton-Stewie

nrgrizzlies

I've been able to go to a couple of practices each of the last two seasons. In every occasion it appeared the kids were involved, the coaches were enthusiastic, and it looked well organized. Has something changed in the last couple of years or did I just catch them on all good days? 

I agree with Grizzlies that Hester couldn't win there but won at Ravenwood. If those zoned to LHS over the last 20 years actually had gone to LHS would things be different? What is it exactly that makes LHS a difficult job? 

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

I've been able to go to a couple of practices each of the last two seasons. In every occasion it appeared the kids were involved, the coaches were enthusiastic, and it looked well organized. Has something changed in the last couple of years or did I just catch them on all good days? 

I agree with Grizzlies that Hester couldn't win there but won at Ravenwood. If those zoned to LHS over the last 20 years actually had gone to LHS would things be different? What is it exactly that makes LHS a difficult job? 

Hester was working with the bottom of the barrel when he took over. Thomas saw the talent was on the decline and got on when he could. Does LaVergne get poached for talent? Yes, but every other school in RuCo faces the same obstacle they do, even Oakland loses kids to transfer.

Best thing LaVergne could do is promote Woodward. He practically runs the team already, just go ahead and make it official. Them work on the youth/feeder programs get them all on the same page and work your way up from there. Talent wise LaVergne should be 2nd in 5-6A most years and occasionally challenge for the title

14 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Show me a healthy school, you'll see a healthy football/athletic program. 

Are Siegel,  Spring Hill, Station Camp and Father Ryan "unhealthy" schools.  Unless one of them won last night, I think those four school are a combined 1-31 on the season.

Again, the current administration at LHS inherited a school that was suffering from a severe lack of maintenance under the previous (cough-cough) "leadership."  Ash is still trying to play catch up in that regard.  He should be admired for having the balls to even take that job.

Maybe you saw THIS in the newspaper this morning...

https://www.dnj.com/story/news/2019/10/24/rutherford-county-schools-bathroom-doors-lavergne-high-track-oakland-riverdale-smyrna/4083692002/

7 minutes ago, nrgrizzlies said:

Are Siegel,  Spring Hill, Station Camp and Father Ryan "unhealthy" schools.  Unless one of them won last night, I think those four school are a combined 1-31 on the season.

Again, the current administration at LHS inherited a school that was suffering from a severe lack of maintenance under the previous (cough-cough) "leadership."  Ash is still trying to play catch up in that regard.  He should be admired for having the balls to even take that job.

Maybe you saw THIS in the newspaper this morning...

https://www.dnj.com/story/news/2019/10/24/rutherford-county-schools-bathroom-doors-lavergne-high-track-oakland-riverdale-smyrna/4083692002/

Which is why I said football/athletic program. Name the last sport LaVergne was relevant in. Baseball a long time ago under Reavis. They've been decent at varying times in bball but that's pretty much it. 

A successful athletic program brings the community together as well as plays a big part in getting needed improvements to the school. I graduated from Oakland, it was far from being in pristine condition and it's 16 years older than LaVergne. At some point excuses have to quit being made.

At the end of the day, LaVergne still has a bad football coach and no amount of schoolwide improvements is going to change that. His teams got worse at OR the longer he was there. There going to miss the playoffs because they lost to a previously winless McGavock team