Rhea Co. @ Powell Round 2

Rhea Co.

6 minutes ago, oridgecat said:

Just curious.  What is a guthook?  Great screen name. 

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it Bear Bryant that said, "If you Ain't Cheatin', you ain't trying"?  Some say Alabama invented cheating and Ky basketball perfected it.  Lol

A guthook is one of two things:

1. a punch to the gut.

2. a hook used for disemboweling game.

There is no defense for cheating in High School sports.  They're minors.

7 minutes ago, 57eagle said:

HERE'S THE THING..........Powell kids know if there are team mates that don't belong on the team. Sure, they are not responsible for it but they are going to suffer all the same. What about the honest player that loses his starting position because they brought in a ringer? 

I agree with this.  There are people at Powell that have had enough of this.  Think of the kid that played youth sports for Powell, freshmen ball, jv games, weightroom, offseason workouts,  then when they have finally worked their way into a starting position, here comes some kid out of nowhere and that kid spends his senior season on the bench watching the new guy play his position.  This is happening and there are some players and families pissed off about it.   

Edited by oridgecat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

I don't have any inside information, so this is a bit of a devil's advocate take. Why would a coaching staff, who already had to forfeit 6 wins the previous year, openly recruit kids postgame (in broad daylight/nightlight)? That doesn't make a lot of sense, on the surface. It seems like you'd have to be really arrogant, or really stupid, to do something so blatant even with all of the recruiting that currently goes on. And maybe Lowe (and his staff) is that arrogant and/or stupid. But I'll let TSSAA decide how to handle these allegations.

We all know that Lowe has gotten his fair share of OOZ players, right, wrong, or indifferent. Combined with his persona, I'd say there are at least a few coaches with an ax to grind.

I think I'm pretty level-headed on the T, but I'm not exactly sure that TSSAA will do anything in this situation, unless there is some pretty damning evidence presented. Without that, you're just looking at a lot of he said-he said. If it hadn't been for the situation with the ineligible RB last year, we probably wouldn't even be hearing about this.

The Powell AD publicly came out yesterday and is backing his coaches, FWIW. We'll see what happens. Friday night could be a beat down in the wake of all of this. Same thing happened vs. West last year, which immediately followed the forfeiture of those 6 wins.

He hired Josh Jones the off-season after playing an ineligible player so.... but agree with your point that nothing will happen with this investigation. Mainly he said, she said.

Sucks last year tho... Seems like the main people punished were the kids when the adults were at fault. Hopefully if a punishment IS handed out, the appropriate people are punished this time. 

11 minutes ago, guthook said:

THE TRANSFER ISN'T A TSSAA VIOLATION.  The recruiting is.

Same question. I know when I played I would have bragged about being "recruited". Kids talk. Again, it's not their fault but it's naive to think they don't know.

Edited by 57eagle
add to

5 minutes ago, 57eagle said:

Same question. I know when I played I would have bragged about being "recruited". Kids talk. Again, it's not their fault but it's naive to think they don't know.

They also go on SnapChat, Facebook, and Twitter to announce their "commitment" to Powell.  With the baseball caps and everything.  Lol.  

• Like 1