Wooddale @ Covington Round 3

CHARGERFAN

I'm rolling with Wooddale in this one as well. Home field advantage goes to the Chargers. The common opponent comparisons have one that is not similar ... Melrose. However, Woddale beat a team that beat Covington.

Last year Wooddale lost this same QB for the season early in the year. It hurt them dearly. He's been healthy this year and he's tearing it up. Good for him.

Edited by kwc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wolfchase said:

Blackhaven of course they got a chance

Of course, 

They have a chance. I also have a chance of meeting the tooth fairy later tonight or maybe the president!!.... JK! 

No disrespect to the Cardinals I promise, but If the Cardinals are going to beat the Chargers at home they are going to need to play a perfect game, 0 turnovers, force at least 2 turnovers, not be plagued by penalties, and also find a way to score on the nasty Covington defense. 

If the Cardinals are able to beat the Chargers I will absolutely tip my hat, and be the biggest fans the cards moving forward I simply do not see it happening. The Chargers are too well coached and have too many athletes with multiple systems to run offensively to overcome the gap. They also have home field advantage somehow. 

6 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

What radio station carries the Covington games? 

Do they have live streaming?

Not sure I can I pick up a signal from this far away. 

U.S. 51 Country WKBQ 93.5 FM. Their website has a listen live option. Or, I have the TUNE IN app and have listened to games on 93.5 through that app when traveling before.

17 hours ago, 00Chargers said:

Looks like we may need to pull out the Canopies like last year VS Stratford....probably gonna be a wet one! That’s was neat last year, stands were full of canopy tents....but we still showed up that’s the important thing

Chance of rain is high. At least our field is in much better shape this year. By the time we played Stratford last year, all those games on that field when it was wet had created a lot of mud.

This year it's been dry for previous games, plus the field got a rest when we were on the road for Rounds 1 & 2. I expect the field to be fine for this game.

We need some rich alumni to contribute $500,000 or so to put in artificial turf. I understand that is how Melrose got their turf, and I heard that Alcoa's was donated by one of their grads in the NFL.

The Covington Leader had a nice article that summarized last week's game and had the following excerpt (with a quote from Charger coach J.R.Kirby):

Next up are the Wooddale Cardinals, who held off Milan 19-16 on Friday night to reach the quarterfinal round.

“They are a well-coached team with an experienced staff,” Kirby said. “They are a typical team coming out of Memphis in the third round, plenty of athletes with speed. They will spread the field. It will be a challenge for our young team.”

In one of the vagaries of the playoff system, although Wooddale is the Region 8-AAA champion (Covington finished third in Region 7-AAA), in an odd-numbered year, it has to travel. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. on Friday at Covington Athletic Field.

The Chargers will be seeking a “hat trick” of sorts, gunning for a third straight state semifinal appearance.