West at Powell Part 2

WestHigh4Life

8 hours ago, KnoxPhoto said:

I wouldn’t say overrated. You don’t get to 12-0 AND beat West during the regular season being overrated. Just my opinion. West came out on a mission. They simply wanted it more and it showed. They got to experience the feeling of losing a game and didn’t want to feel it again. As far as the semifinal game,  I think Central gives Knoxville the best chance at bringing back the gold ball. West is one dimensional with the run game and can’t throw against good teams. Powell was one dimensional and couldn’t run against good teams. Central seems to be more balanced, so bring it home!

Neither team is even close to overrated - they are a combined 24-2 with both losses coming against each other - so no other team has beaten them.  Best thing for West was losing that first game at Powell - as it made them want this one more.  So yes,  they came out fired up on a mission.

I would not call West one dimensional against good teams.  #14 is up around 1700 yards and 23 touchdowns this season.  If you base your opinion just on the Powell games then you missed the big picture.  If Powell D will let you rush 2 backs for over 100 yards each and 3 touchdowns would you throw 30 times to try and prove your passing game?

Ask Oak Ridge in second RD game - 70% completion rate with 250 yards and 3td passes (also threw 3tds in first Oak Ridge match up).   Do you consider Oak Ridge a good team?  If not, please let me know who else was on West’s schedule that you would consider a good team other than Powell.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MeritIII said:

Neither team is even close to overrated - they are a combined 24-2 with both losses coming against each other - so no other team has beaten them.  Best thing for West was losing that first game at Powell - as it made them want this one more.  So yes,  they came out fired up on a mission.

I would not call West one dimensional against good teams.  #14 is up around 1700 yards and 23 touchdowns this season.  If you base your opinion just on the Powell games then you missed the big picture.  If Powell D will let you rush 2 backs for over 100 yards each and 3 touchdowns would you throw 30 times to try and prove your passing game?

Ask Oak Ridge in second RD game - 70% completion rate with 250 yards and 3td passes (also threw 3tds in first Oak Ridge match up).   Do you consider Oak Ridge a good team?  If not, please let me know who else was on West’s schedule that you would consider a good team other than Powell.  

To be quite honest, I’m basing it off of both matchups with Powell, a so so Oak Ridge team, and another factor. I haven’t watched a lot of West games this season, but based on the records and points allowed on the other teams they’ve played, I definitely don’t see a defensive juggernaut on the schedule. Hardin Valley allowed 253 points this year, Oak Ridge 280ish, most of the others were over 300. And I know there’s more to it than that, but you can’t say there was a lot of defense going on. So “good team” is very subjective. Not trying to argue, but it’s just my feeling if it comes down to West winning either of the next two games with the passing game, it won’t happen. If I’m wrong, I’ll eat crow and admit it :thumb:

Edited by KnoxPhoto

On 11/23/2019 at 12:42 AM, chsbobcat09 said:

Gotta admit, this score surprised me. I thought West could win but not by that margin. Guess it showed Powell was a little overrated and obviously West is the REAL DEAL. Looking forward to a great game next week with them as old rivals meet to see who goes to state.

Overrated??? Come on dude. You can’t be serious..... Coaching absolutely killed Powell in this game. Period. They had zero answers Friday night. Those kids at Powell had to good of a year to say they were overrated. 

1 hour ago, KnoxVil said:

Overrated??? Come on dude. You can’t be serious..... Coaching absolutely killed Powell in this game. Period. They had zero answers Friday night. Those kids at Powell had to good of a year to say they were overrated. 

I’m very serious. IDC if the coaching was bad or not, coaches are apart of the team too. Yeah, they had a lot of great players but at the end of the day they didn’t get the job done and West showed just how good they really are. Just like you said, maybe if they RECRUIT better next year they’ll get the job done :thumb::roflol:

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2019 at 12:42 AM, chsbobcat09 said:

Gotta admit, this score surprised me. I thought West could win but not by that margin. Guess it showed Powell was a little overrated and obviously West is the REAL DEAL. Looking forward to a great game next week with them as old rivals meet to see who goes to state.

They were undefeated heading into the game against a team they beat in overtime. Instead of saying they were overrated just say West at 11-1 is a good football team. Which everyone knew. The loss shouldn't surprise anyone keeping up with Powell. Powell had the best talent across the board on the field, they are not the best team. Teams with less athletes have kept games close, West game 1, OR, SD and West game 2. I said weeks ago they won't make it deep into the playoffs with other teams that can compete with speed. West flat out beat them and I'm sure had some added motivation for this game. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the off-season with Powell. Does Lowe address the Jones issue, because as long as he is there they will have a target on their chest with each conversation. 

• Like 1

I guess ML knew his only chance was to try to recruit some players in ... but the down side is hiring a midget coach to be OC just so you can get the players he knows and have contacts with kids all over the city  ... so shows how desperate ML was to go to those depths of hiring a guy to call plays that has never coached in high school .. talent wise they had best team .. but coaching cost them .. since he has the kids now  .. maybe he will go back to calling plays and get rid of JJ .. who is always gonna be under the microscope cause he knows every kid in knox co and surrounding  ...

1 hour ago, Tadvols said:

I guess ML knew his only chance was to try to recruit some players in ... but the down side is hiring a midget coach to be OC just so you can get the players he knows and have contacts with kids all over the city  ... so shows how desperate ML was to go to those depths of hiring a guy to call plays that has never coached in high school .. talent wise they had best team .. but coaching cost them .. since he has the kids now  .. maybe he will go back to calling plays and get rid of JJ .. who is always gonna be under the microscope cause he knows every kid in knox co and surrounding  ...

Honestly think if you went position by position they didn't have the best talent.  They have some great players but honestly don't think they're deeper.

14 minutes ago, guthook said:

Honestly think if you went position by position they didn't have the best talent.  They have some great players but honestly don't think they're deeper.

It's close...Powell better at QB and WR ... OL and DL probably same .. LB close too .. I still think Powell better talent but my point was Coaching beat them .. when you have a youth midget coach as your OC  ..  Powell had talent to be more efficient on offense  .. the QB scrambling and QB draws were their offense .. wasted alot of talent on offense .. but like I said if ML dont let J J in and do that  .. he dont have those weapons at RB , WR and DB ...

• Like 1