West at Powell Part 2

WestHigh4Life

On 11/16/2019 at 11:42 AM, keepitmoving said:

Powell had to beat the refs and West in the first game.  Great game though.  Refs made 2 HUGE game changing calls that affected the score and the game.  1st one was on the CATCH on the sideline that would of put Powell inside the 10 and most likeley would of scored.  Instead they had to punt.  Second was on the opening kick off to start the second half.  Clearly a fumble, and would of set up Powell in inside the 20, and probably would of put points on the board again.  Powell is a 14 point favorite, and with the correct calls would of won the first time by at least 14-21.  I just hope the second time around, the refs let the kids play, and let them decide the game on the field.  

I watched this game from the comforts of my couch last night. What I saw was the “better” team get absolutely dominated in all phases of the game with zero help from the men in stripes. The “better” team was flat out-coached. Congrats to West! 

I read in the previous thread that the Hughes kid was the best athlete on the field in game 1. Not even close to that the second time around.

• Like 1

I'm back for a huge serving of crow and it tastes so good! I cannot believe how focused and efficient West came out and played last night...a complete different team than the one that played against Oak Ridge last week.

That being said...I was surprised to see West control the lines of scrimmages on both sides of the ball for most of the game...I don't think I have seen West do that to a quality Powell team since 2007 (there were years there they didn't play except for playoffs), West just seemed to want it more.

I was shocked to see the Powell sideline so unenthused or not hype even before the game...I don't know what is going on over there but maybe there was something that affected the team because they just seemed off than the other times I had watched their games on TV or on replay.

Either way major props to the West players and coaches on a job well done and doing something that West had never done before last night and that is beat Powell at Powell in the playoffs.

Congrats to Powell on an awesome season and I forsee this as the start of a competitive rivalry that will dictate the region and class 5a direction in football for the upcoming years unless TSSAA changes something again.

Go West!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KnoxPhoto said:

I wouldn’t say overrated. You don’t get to 12-0 AND beat West during the regular season being overrated. Just my opinion. West came out on a mission. They simply wanted it more and it showed. They got to experience the feeling of losing a game and didn’t want to feel it again. As far as the semifinal game,  I think Central gives Knoxville the best chance at bringing back the gold ball. West is one dimensional with the run game and can’t throw against good teams. Powell was one dimensional and couldn’t run against good teams. Central seems to be more balanced, so bring it home!

Well said, Thank you for your support sir. I hope we come out next week with a better sense of urgency on offense than we did last night. Proud of our team tho, would love to make it back to state.

• Like 1