5 class plan

ocac

Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin do things a LOT differently though... they don't have SET Classes during Football; they have 80-120 "conferences" that teams are a part of and their champs(and sometimes co-champs) are taken FIRST into a line up and then all other teams are put in below them and sorted by Overall Record, Conference Record, Away Record, Points For, Points against(and a few other sorting scenarios) until they get 256(for Illinois) teams, then they take all teams and sort them by Enrollment and cut down to Eight 32 team "Classes" and give some preferential treatment to those who won conferences, then try to group everyone as "fair" as possible for their games(eventhough sometimes a team from the greater St. Louis area will have to travel up to Rockford or Chicago for a first or 2nd round playoff game)... i've attempted to do what was suggested in my own time for a 4 class plan... it works for the projected 4A and 3A Levels(mostly)... but when ya get down to 2A and 1A... especially in east TN and south Middle TN it's a bit of a STRETCH to say the least for some of the teams as said in another thread some teams will potentially have to drive 2hr+ to get a District game in... there's no good way to cut it w/o either going to 2 Classes OR 1 Class for all non Football classes; i'm not gonna get started on how much travel would be in a 5 class plan either... even doing something similar to how Arkansas does with their idea of Top 32 then next 48, then next 48 etc, doesn't really work either... a lot of these charter schools just popping up really hurt the numbers for 1A and 2A to make some sort of "Fair" plan for 1A and 2A anyway, but there's nothing that can be done about that.

Lets Quick over Thinking it,

The GHSA has seven classifications based on school enrollment. For this reclassification, the GHSA adopted a 2.0 multiplier that applies to out-of-zone students and is designed to promote schools believed to have competitive advantages into higher classes. The new rules don't apply to everybody. Schools with 550 or fewer students automatically are classified in Class A and are not affected by the multiplier.

Now, Tennessee does not need 7 classes. However, this is how to make classes competitive. 

10 minutes ago, BoomKing2006 said:

Currently AAA Baseball, Basketball, Softball is as follows: 

Stone Memorial: 1022

Up to Bartlett: 2722

Those team sports also require similar depth. 

Yep I agree, and have for some time, that 3 classes is not enough for those sports. We need a standard number of classes, likely 5, for all sports.

51 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Yep I agree, and have for some time, that 3 classes is not enough for those sports. We need a standard number of classes, likely 5, for all sports.

So this is how Texas does it. The have 6 Blanket Classifications for ALL SPORTS but in football within the 6A classification (2200 students up to 6000 students) they have 2 divisions (Brackets). Divisions are not concrete but are based on enrollment of playoff qualifying schools. Here's a hypothetical using theoretical Tennessee High Schools of how this could play out. 

School Enrollment Wins Losses Division
Region X        
Beech 1450 7 0 II
Mt. Juliet 2228 6 1 I
Hendersonville 1510 5 2 II
Cookeville 2277 4 3 I 
Gallatin 1621 3 4  
Wilson Central 1926 2 5  
Lebanon 1897 1 6  
Station Camp 1320 0 7  
Region Y        
Oakland 2285 7 0 I 
Rockvale 1450 6 1 II
Smyrna 1948 5 2 II
Stewarts Creek 2238 4 3 I 
Riverdale 2094 3 4  
Blackman 2411 2 5  
Lavergne 1933 1 6  
Siegel 1789 0 7  

So the season plays out and the top 4 teams in each region qualify for playoffs. In region X, the 2 highest enrollment schools THAT QUALIFIED FOR THE PLAYOFFS go up to division I (Mt. Juliet and Cookeville). They will be seeded against the 2 highest enrollment schools THAT QUALIFIED FOR THE PLAYOFFS from Region Y. 

Mt. Juliet Higher Seed Region X plays Stewarts Creek Lower Seed Region Y

Oakland Plays Cookeville

Similarly for the smaller enrollment schools from Region X, Beech and Hendersonville will be seeded against Rockvale and Smyrna. 

With this format.. Bartlett (2700) will ALWAYS BE Division I if they qualified for the playoffs and a school like Page (1139), who would likely be in a region with brentwood and ravenwood, will always be division II but for your borderline 1500 range they could go up or down based on qualifying schools. 

It's really not as complicated as it sounds... but ya know... lets not follow what Texas does. They're not producing good high school football teams or anything. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cactus Jack said:

I definately support going back to 5 classes for football, I believe 6 is too many and waters down the playoffs too much with weak teams getting in and getting hammered.  I also think there are too many playoff games it’s another half of a season, 4 should be enough.

Half of the teams get beat in the first round every year. I don't know how it always works out that way, but it does.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I definately support going back to 5 classes for football, I believe 6 is too many and waters down the playoffs too much with weak teams getting in and getting hammered.  I also think there are too many playoff games it’s another half of a season, 4 should be enough.

2017 Round 1 Average Margin of Victory: 

1A - 37.25

2A - 25.44

3A - 24

4A - 23.19

5A - 23.31

6A - 16.94

Composite - 25.02

2018 Round 1 Average Margin of Victory: 

1A - 33

2A - 22.06

3A - 23.94

4A - 28.44

5A - 22.19

6A - 22.27 

Composite - 25.32

2019 Round 1 Average Margin of Victory: 

1A - 28.56

2A - 28.4.4

3A - 34.0

4A - 24.44

5A - 24.38

6A - 27.25

Composite - 27.84

Agreed... too many teams amplified by the fact we have too many classes.